BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
radicaldreamer

radicaldreamer has a neutral reputation

Thanks, nanana
Your reply really to my mind to ease.
radicaldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
elsenoire

elsenoire has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanana View Post
Hi radicaldreamer,

I am a current student in SOC. I think that having no background is not really an issue. In school, you will be taught the basics. So, not to worry about having no background. Having prior knowledge of computing would gives you an advantage, but I have seen people with no background doing better than those who have.

But I would suggest you to look at some books on programming and computing to see whether you have the interest in it. Some people with no background might find computing hard and dry and end up transferring out of the faculty. Hence, I think that the biggest issue is whether you have the interest or not. If you are interested in computing, then I guess you should be able to survive the years in NUS Computing.
Thanks nanana for your advice.

Just would like to ask more:
I am going to be matriculated in 2010 for Information Systems. What are the things I can do to better prepare myself? You mentioned books on programming - which languages would be good to learn and what can I expect to learn from the course?
elsenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
LoneReaction

LoneReaction has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsenoire View Post
Thanks nanana for your advice.

Just would like to ask more:
I am going to be matriculated in 2010 for Information Systems. What are the things I can do to better prepare myself? You mentioned books on programming - which languages would be good to learn and what can I expect to learn from the course?
I'm interested as well. Choose Computer Science, but going to appeal for IS when the appeal period starts.

I'm exempted CS1010(4), IS1103(4), CS2105(4).
Of course, due to NS, I forgot everything I learned in poly. Don't really have time to study as well, even have to disrupt to enter NUS in August.
LoneReaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #14
nanana

nanana has a neutral reputation

Actually I am not very sure of the outcome of the courses and the languages taught for the different courses. For me, I did not really prepare anything for my first semester before I enter uni. I think putting in consistent work during the semester is good enough, since you do not know what will be taught anyway.

You guys can join the freshmen orientation camp in June. There will be seniors out there to help you.
nanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
meemosa

meemosa has a neutral reputation

hi, i am being given a place in NUS information systems but i am having second thoughts of taking it and i feel like taking up computer science instead because the information systems modules seem to be quite wordy. Is it true that information systems requires more of read and memorise than practise?
meemosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
elsenoire

elsenoire has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemosa View Post
hi, i am being given a place in NUS information systems but i am having second thoughts of taking it and i feel like taking up computer science instead because the information systems modules seem to be quite wordy. Is it true that information systems requires more of read and memorise than practise?
Hey meemosa, I think you have quite a valid concern especially towards the end where you mentioned rote-learning vs hands-on practice. I have been accepted into NUS IS as well and I do think IS will contain a fair bit of hands-on learning.

On a separate note, I personally feel that *sometimes*, it might actually be better to study something which you need but might not have an interest in. This is because we become "forced" to study the essentials which we would not do otherwise. Stuff that we like can still be done concurrently or after the course since there is the interest that is already present. The question therefore is, do you think IS will fulfill any important needs of your desired education?

Just my 2cents though. I got to admit that thought might sound odd to many but it's what I do sometimes.
elsenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
meemosa

meemosa has a neutral reputation

yup i do agree with you but if i have no interest in the IS modules then i'm afraid i might suffer the same way as i did with econs in jc. To many people, econs is an essential knowledge for them to know about the structure of the economy and how it operates but due to my lack of interest for it, I would hardly revise through it and i struggled to cope with econs for the past 2 years.

btw, do many undergrads taking CS find the modules difficult to cope with? and does most of the modules in IS involve business which is somewhat like econs?

Last edited by meemosa; 05-19-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo error
meemosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #18
happidoolittle

happidoolittle has a neutral reputation

Hi all, asking on behalf for my friend fr poly who wants to appeal to IS. Mind sharing your grades/GPA to help guage the rate of success? Thks.
happidoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
lillian

lillian has a neutral reputation
Question DA interview & Test

Hi, Anyone has experience in DA interview & test for SOC IS course? Any tips ?
I applied appeal for IS course and require to go for interview and test tomorrow. I'm a bit lost what to prepare... Thanks in advance

Last edited by lillian; 06-23-2010 at 07:43 AM.
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
bensite22

bensite22 has a neutral reputation
Default course e-commerce

hi guys, im currently reserved a spot in fass but am thinking of reapplying next year into computing, more specifically the e-commerce course. But b4 i do that, i would like to know more about this course. Things like whether the rumours of the high population of foreign students are true. And how are the gender ratio like?
Regarding the academic modules, are there any seniors around who can tell me how are the workload like and what do u guys do specifically. More IT stuff or more business stuff.
I an currently serving ns, ording next year.
bensite22 is offline   Reply With Quote