BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #81
Jiggles

Jiggles has a neutral reputation
Red face Help out a fellow freshie here!

Hi, im an incoming freshman into FoS in AY2014/2015. are there any seniors here who can advice me on some stuff? As im quite certain i'll be declaring lie science as my major, I was doing some research on LSM mods. I understand that in Yr 1 Sem 1, we will be pre-allocated modules; either LSM1101/2 or LSM1103/4, and also CM1401. Since all 4 LSM mods are offered in both Sem 1 and 2, which mods do we take in sem 1 then? As I would want to plan out my timetable...

Also, based on your experience, what modules would you recommend us taking? Like maybe it builds up foundation for secondary years/ easier mods to do to survive in NUS.

PS: I understand we are also pre-allocated LSM210X in Yr 2, is it possible that we bid for them in Yr 1 Sem 2, provided we do LSM1101/2 in Yr 1 Sem 1?

Thanks in advance!!
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #82
vasxx

vasxx has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Hi, im an incoming freshman into FoS in AY2014/2015. are there any seniors here who can advice me on some stuff? As im quite certain i'll be declaring lie science as my major, I was doing some research on LSM mods. I understand that in Yr 1 Sem 1, we will be pre-allocated modules; either LSM1101/2 or LSM1103/4, and also CM1401. Since all 4 LSM mods are offered in both Sem 1 and 2, which mods do we take in sem 1 then? As I would want to plan out my timetable...

Also, based on your experience, what modules would you recommend us taking? Like maybe it builds up foundation for secondary years/ easier mods to do to survive in NUS.

PS: I understand we are also pre-allocated LSM210X in Yr 2, is it possible that we bid for them in Yr 1 Sem 2, provided we do LSM1101/2 in Yr 1 Sem 1?

Thanks in advance!!
Hello, just finished my 1st year and going into 2nd year so I think I'll be able to answer some of your qns (based on my year)

Firstly, all LSM110X and LSM210X mods are pre-allocated each sem, you cannot bid for them in CORS at all. You're right that in Sem 1, you will take CM1401; and either LSM1101+2 (Group A) or LSM1103+4 (Group B). Whether you are Group A or B is randomly allocated, then in Sem 2 you'll switch over. So no, you can't bid for LSM210X in Year 1 Sem 2, cause you have to do the other 2 LSM110X first. In a way, you have to complete the whole Level 1000 basket (1101-1104) in your Year 1 before advancing to Level 2000.

Your other two mods in Sem 1 will be non-life science mods, you can choose to fulfill your GEM/SS/UE/Breadth/Fac Req etc. I'd recommend taking ES1541 Exploring Science Communication through Popular Science first in your Year 1; it's a new module (just introduced in my year, we are the guinea pigs lol) which is a requirement for graduation. Cause if you're planning to go for exchange, you must read and pass ES1541 first, so better take it early So my overall Sem 1 timetable was like this: LSM1101, LSM1102, CM1401, ES1541 and a GEM mod; and Sem 2: LSM1103, LSM1104 and 3 other mods of my choice.

As for recommended modules to take, actually most of the Level 1000 and 2000 mods are already pre-allocated and are also the prerequisites for the Level 3000/4000 mods. You can choose to take the optional LSM1000 mods (LSM1202 Human Anatomy and PC1421 Physics for Life Sciences) but it's not really necessary, I took LSM1202 only because I had interest in anatomy.

Sorry that was a bit long (and maybe kinda confusing), but I hope I managed to answer some of your questions. PM me if you have any more questions! Also, do check out the Life Sciences major requirements and Study Plan for more info!
vasxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #83
aurora_16

aurora_16 has a neutral reputation
Default Lab sessions

Hi there!

Can anyone tell me if lab reports for Life Sciences have to be handed up within the session itself?

I'm planning my time-table and i'm wondering if I should schedule a tutorial right after lab with no break between. I'm worried I cannot finish the lab report and may have to stay back and will be late for my tutorial (esp when I still have to walk there)

Thanks in advance
aurora_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #84
forumuser

forumuser has a neutral reputation
Default selling NUS yr 2 life science NUS

LSM1401: Biochemistry
Textbook: Biochemistry by Garrett and Grisham
5th Edition
Condition: Plastic Wrapped with no bends. Minimal highlightings in the book
Price: $50

ST1232: Statistics for life sciences
Textbook: Statistics by David Freedman
Condition: 8/10
Plastic wrapped with slight bents
Price: $35

LSM2103: Cell Biology
Lecture notes: The lecture notes are very detailed as they have alot of additional hand written notes which are the important points that the lecturer mentioned during the lecture. The notes are very comprehensive.
Price: $15

LSM 1102: Molecular Genetics
Lecture Notes: $10
Lecture notes: The lecture notes are very detailed as they have alot of additional hand written notes which are the important points that the lecturer mentioned during the lecture.The notes are very comprehensive.

SPH 2104: Public Health Nutrition
Lecture notes + Readings : Photocopied chapters of the textbook that is important for recommeneded readings
Lecture notes: The lecture notes are very detailed as they have alot of additional hand written notes which are the important points that the lecturer mentioned during the lecture.The notes are very comprehensive.

LSM2203: Microbiology
Lecture notes + Lab Protocol + Lab reports : $20
Lecture notes: The lecture notes are very detailed as they have alot of additional hand written notes which are the important points that the lecturer mentioned during the lecture. The notes are comprehensive.

LSM2102: Molecular Biology
Lecture notes: The lecture notes are very detailed as they have alot of additional hand written notes which are the important points that the lecturer mentioned during the lecture.
The notes are very comprehensive.
Price: $10

LSM 2101 : Metabolism and Regulation
Lecture notes: The lecture notes are very detailed as they have alot of additional hand written notes which are the important points that the lecturer mentioned during the lecture. The notes are very comprehensive.

NM2203
TB: Social Media Marketing
Pearson New interational edition
First edition
Price: $45
Condition: 9.5/10
The textbook is plastic wrapped and there are no bends in the textbook. Certain pages are highlighted but they are very neat.

Notes: Lecture notes + Readings

The entire set would be $55

SC1101E: Introduction to sociology
Lecture notes + Self made notes of readings: $10

LSM2241: Bioinformatics
Lecture notes + Print outs of important chapters of text book : Notes are very detailed with alot of hand written notes. The print outs of important chapters are very useful for the open book examinations.
Price: $20

NM 2209: Social psychology of new media
Reading package : $15
forumuser is offline   Reply With Quote