BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #21
tinyRedLeaf

tinyRedLeaf has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyue
tinyRedLeaf, you have done what many Singaporeans do. Why Oxbridge for humanities? If you're thinking about History or English Lit, apply to Durham. It is first and second in the UK for Lit and History respectively.
Actually, I'd sooner recommend Cambridge over Oxford for humanities. But if you're to ask me why, I can't really give you a solid answer. It's based more on personal impressions of the people I've met from either universities when I was studying in the UK ten years ago.

Oxbridge for humanities mainly because of the tradition that both universities have in this area. And also because of the professors and libraries you're more likely to have access to at these universities. Most importantly, because of the peers you're likely to meet while at Oxbridge.

Note: I'm not suggesting that you won't going to get good professors and fellow students at Durham, or any other top-tier UK university. In the end, it's up to you to make the best of whatever university you go to.

Plus, as I've pointed out, my info is probably out-of-date anyway, so always do your research on the current choice destinations. For example, this would be the first time I've heard of Durham's reputation for History or Eng Lit, so I won't be particularly surprised if my list of recommendations needs updating.
tinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #22
jadedlawstudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyue View Post
Why not Oxford for law? Simply because many realise that it is not top of the table. If you have the grades to get into Oxford Law, why not Cambridge (which has a higher ranking) or LSE (though it is harder to get in than Oxbridge)?
1- the London Universities like foreign students, mostly because we pay full fees unlike locals.

2- Measured by the amount of work you need to do, an LSE law degree is simply not the equal of a law degree from either oxford or cambridge. Full stop. British citizens, employers etc also consider law degrees from oxbridge to be more prestigious as well. And there's nothing like a 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 tutorial to force you to come in prepared ready to discuss the week's work. In other words, if prestige and external reputation is what you care about, nothing beats oxford or cambridge for law.

I would not recommend the prestige factor as your chief criterion for choosing a university course, however.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:24 PM   #23
r0llerc0aster

r0llerc0aster has a neutral reputation

hi,
im interested in taking a degree in business in uk. what universities do you recommend?
do the universities there offer the opportunity to take 2 degrees simultaneously? because im interested in doing a deg for business and another for accounting.
cheers!
r0llerc0aster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #24
Sparks

Sparks has a neutral reputation

Hi r0llerc0aster,

The 2 universities which has its niche in business will be LSE and Warwick. Refer to http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=49 . This is earlier discussed in this thread. There are of course more good universities in the UK for Business Studies, such as Strathclyde, Imperial and Oxford just to name a few. You may also wish to refer to the following URL :

http://browse.guardian.co.uk/educati...s&Institution=

As to dual degrees, there are 2 forms which you may like to consider.

1) Double Degrees : You will be awarded 2 degrees, each for each course of study.

2) Double Majors : You will only be awarded a single degree upon conpletion, however the 2 majors will be indicated.

In my opinion, both are almost similar. It is also up to you to decide which one you prefer. However, to my knowledge, i have not known of a double majors course for business and accounting. Most probably, you have to find an institution which offers double degrees for your choice.

For more information, you may refer to the universities' prospectuses.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #25
leafgirl

Default Which uni to choose

Hello,

I have been offered conditional offers to warwick, UCL, nottingham (and am waiting for a reply from LSE),all for economics. Is UCL better than warwick for econs?

Right now, i am thinking if it is possible to have a dual major/degree in econs and Biz ad for these unis, though i have not indicated such interest to them yet.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #26
djw_chs

djw_chs has a neutral reputation

En..I think UCL is a nice place..anyway it is in London and you will find life a lot more convenient..especially when you are studying econ..There are more career options and really..it is difficult to tell which university is better in which subject..it has to be decided on individual basis..
djw_chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #27
koo86

koo86 has a neutral reputation
Default Uk unis

Hey Ive applied for UCL, Warwick, Manchester, Loughborough and King's for Information Systems management..and currently ive got a conditional reply from King's.. Which of the above unis have a better program ?
koo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #28
benzzz

benzzz has a neutral reputation

hi,

any recommendations for medicine or dentistry course?

regards
benzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #29
sherman

sherman has a neutral reputation
Default law in either lse/ucl

Hi im keen on applying for law with either lse or ucl.

Im currently doing a part time course (dip in law) as a Lse external student while doing my NS.

when should i and how should i go about apply to the universities ?

does a merit in my dip allows me entry into the course ?
unlike others, i left the singapore education system after my gce n levels.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #30
r0llerc0aster

r0llerc0aster has a neutral reputation

hi,

anyoone knows anything about the management degree in Warwick? im thinking of applying for that.. Thanks.
r0llerc0aster is offline   Reply With Quote