BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
rui

rui has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduSeeker View Post
i would love to get a conditional offer from UCL but I have to serve NS and they would only allow 1 year deferment right? for my case, should I just apply, get the conditional offer and then mail them my results when I get it in Mar 2011, followed by an appeal for 2 year deferment?

My senior got 2 year deferment from UCL. he got accepted and he simply emailed the admission officer, requesting for that and it got approved.

Also, one minor question for UCL undergraduates. UCL offers a 4-year law programme which includes one year studying in Singapore. for that, will students under that law programme follow the track of Singapore law graduates? Because I know other UK law schools offer 3 year programme and UK law graduates come back to SG and undergo a training programme to ensure that they do not have an edge over their singaporean counterparts.
You could apply 2 years in advance, and when accepted, write in to ask for a 2-year deferment. I don't know how guaranteed this method is, but thus far it seems UCL has no qualms about giving 2-year deferments.

I highly doubt the 3 + 1 year abroad course puts you on the same level as a Law graduate from a local university. You do not hold on to a local degree, still, and thus will have to go through the same procedure as with any other foreign law degree holder.
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK
rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
EduSeeker

EduSeeker has a neutral reputation

ok thanks for the advice. so if I'm planning to apply for 2011 entry (followed by a request for 2 year deferment), I should take LNAT this year?
EduSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
rui

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduSeeker View Post
ok thanks for the advice. so if I'm planning to apply for 2011 entry (followed by a request for 2 year deferment), I should take LNAT this year?
Yes. Good luck.
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK
Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
chris_mc726

chris_mc726 has a neutral reputation

Sorry am abit confused with Relevant Legal Training and Practice Training Period. Are they the same?(I know that you have to do RLT before or after Part A) Am abit worried now cuz I dun really know how to go about after I complete my LLB. in UK cuz I'm actually an international student bonded to SG tuition Grant(Polytechnic studies) for 3 years so at the end of it I'll have to come back SG and work for tat period of time. Any advise?
chris_mc726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
rui

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_mc726 View Post
Sorry am abit confused with Relevant Legal Training and Practice Training Period. Are they the same?(I know that you have to do RLT before or after Part A) Am abit worried now cuz I dun really know how to go about after I complete my LLB. in UK cuz I'm actually an international student bonded to SG tuition Grant(Polytechnic studies) for 3 years so at the end of it I'll have to come back SG and work for tat period of time. Any advise?
They are different. You have to complete both the Relevant Legal Training AND the Practice Training Period.

What are the terms of your bond? You might not be allowed to sit for the Bar during the bond period. I suggest you check with the sponsor as soon as you can.

Local Moderator - UK
Old 11-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
chris_mc726

chris_mc726 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui View Post
They are different. You have to complete both the Relevant Legal Training AND the Practice Training Period.

What are the terms of your bond? You might not be allowed to sit for the Bar during the bond period. I suggest you check with the sponsor as soon as you can.
Hmmm...I have to work in a Singapore based company for 3 years. is the standard tution grant bond for those who pay subsided fees during tertiary studies.
Am just worried whether they will allow me to practice/training with them in sg since i'm a international student. or maybe I should work as a APP first b4 going for my relevant legal training ?
chris_mc726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
zarab

zarab has a neutral reputation

just for your info, the UCL 3 + 1 law with another legal system is not recognized by the ministry of law for the admission to the bar. however, ucl is currently in negotiation with the ministry of law and in the near future it might even allow holders of that degree to skip Part A. if you want further info on this feel free to send me a private message.
zarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
morphl

morphl has a neutral reputation

Quote:

RLT and the practice training contract are different. After you graduate from a foreign university, you have to complete Part A, RLT, Part B and your training contract which is known as the practicetraining period.

I know as I studied in Oxford and graduated from there.

By the way for those seeking admissions help, this website has a ton of free and useful resources: http://gurume.co.uk/pages/personal_statements?locale=en

My friend told me about them after they gave talks at his school and it was helpful to me
morphl is offline   Reply With Quote