BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Lurv_1989

Lurv_1989 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz_samass View Post
the day when I got my PFM offer, I told a few ppl and they all asked me the same question "What the hell is PFM?" I kinda didn't know how to answer. I tried to give them some sort of example, smt like Donald Trump, or Capitaland or Keppel Holdings... But I wasn't sure either.
And until now, I still feel blur abt this course. My relatives advised me that this was like a good course with very promising prospects, i.e. I would not have to go to the construction site, with the yellow hard hat, but instead sit in the office, look over the whole project... (sounds great)

However, I think, since some ppl say this course is best if one combines it with a minor or a second major in Business, so I guess this course's nature is pretty muhc about leadership. I think the purpose is to educate the students to be leaders/managers. As you can realize, the modules seem to train us with lots of leadership skills, i.e. communications, human resources.... so in a way, it is linked to Business, i guess.

Yet, i still feel unsure about the career prospects of this course. Although it may be linked to the business realm, can a PFM graduate work for a bank or an economic-related institution? The officers keep telling us that there's a very broad range of careers to choose, but in fact, aren't "there is a possibility in working in other industries or fields" or "broaden your perspectives" or "career path ultimately depends on who we want to be" always their responses? and not just PFM officers, I believe all officers of other courses say the same thing. The worst thing is that we don't have any statistics to follow, partially because this course is new, partially because the cohort for this course is small.

Anw, PFM was my 6th choice, and this offer, to me, was totally out of expectation. I got 79 rank pts (although with an E for GP) but I didn't
expect to get this. I was hoping for FASS (my 3rd choice) though I knew an E for GP might prevent that. But to my surprise, I didn't get my 4th and 5th choices, either (Infosys and Comp). So I really question the the admission procedure. Seemed like they had some special procedures that we didn't know about.
Yup. I agree. Guess all these questions will have to be posed to them at the Open House, and hopefully we can get a clearer idea of the course as well as its prospects.

Getting PFM was a surprise to me as well. I thought I could get into FASS (my third choice). Business and Accountancy were my first 2 choices but I doubt I had hope for that because my GPA was too far off the last years' indicative profile range. Nevertheless, I applied under discretionary admissions, with winning an entrepreneurship competition as the basis..

My grades are as follows:

Course: Business Administration
GPA: 3.571
O Level score: 12 (L1R4), 16 (L1R5)

I guess like what others mentioned in other forums, NUS is hard to get in this year, and this proves the advice thats always on the lips of the admission officers; "Last year's grade profile is only a guide, that's why its 'indicative'."
Lurv_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Lurv_1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtoknow View Post
Haha okay well seems like it's okay to bring my dad then Hahahha

Yes I didn't want to go at first but I thought it would be good if I found out more from the profs

I didn't apply for SMU... I was offered English Lit from NTU. English lit is more suitable for me I guess because I am an arts student. However I don't know whether I can write literature on a deeper level you know. I really wanted FASS because there's a lot more majors there, and they let you take a few modules first so you can try them out.But I got PFM haha

My grades are not really good actually.. 75points.. Or do you wanna know the specifics? lol

What's your grades like? And was PFM your first choice?
Haha.. My grades are posted as above.. PFM was my 4th choice, out of 5 choices.. They were really short of giving me real estate (my last choice)..
Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
riz_samass

riz_samass has a neutral reputation

haha, for now I'm waiting for my SMU outcome and at the same time, I'm appealling for a better course at NTU. If both plans fail, see you at nus pfm then =D
riz_samass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
Lurv_1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz_samass View Post
haha, for now I'm waiting for my SMU outcome and at the same time, I'm appealling for a better course at NTU. If both plans fail, see you at nus pfm then =D
Oh.. I see. What were you offered in NTU?

I'm also waiting for the outcome for SMU and NTU. If no other offers beat that of NUS, I shall see you there in August too..
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Lurv_1989

I just got rejected by NTU on my graduation day (yesterday)..

Waiting for SMU.. But I think chances are highly unlikely for me since I haven't even been called for an interview..

Most probably going to NUS..
Old 05-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
violetoria

violetoria has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurv_1989 View Post
Hi there! I am also offered the PFM course.. I got my offer somewhere in mid April.. I have been deliberating whether I should take up this course..

I come from a business background in poly so this is a bit different from what I used to do.. I think I'm going to appeal to Business or Economics when the appeal period starts.. But I'm still considering this course because it has some business element in it, and allows us to take a major in business..

When I called the School, the lady who spoke to me advised me to take on the course as if my GPA in Uni is good, I might even be offered a chance to do PFM with a double degree in Biz..

Btw, are you all guys? Coz I think its quite uncommon to see girls getting into such courses right?
heyyo[[:

i'm offered PFM too haha. but aint a poly student like you but hey, at least imma a gal[[: LOL.
violetoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #17
violetoria

violetoria has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurv_1989 View Post
Yup. I agree. Guess all these questions will have to be posed to them at the Open House, and hopefully we can get a clearer idea of the course as well as its prospects.

Getting PFM was a surprise to me as well. I thought I could get into FASS (my third choice). Business and Accountancy were my first 2 choices but I doubt I had hope for that because my GPA was too far off the last years' indicative profile range. Nevertheless, I applied under discretionary admissions, with winning an entrepreneurship competition as the basis..

My grades are as follows:

Course: Business Administration
GPA: 3.571
O Level score: 12 (L1R4), 16 (L1R5)

I guess like what others mentioned in other forums, NUS is hard to get in this year, and this proves the advice thats always on the lips of the admission officers; "Last year's grade profile is only a guide, that's why its 'indicative'."
ARGH. i was hoping for FASS my 1st choice too! tons of major, got japanese stuides some more. nvm. let's all try for appeal![[:

otherwise, cya all in PFM in aug haha!
violetoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
Lurv_1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetoria View Post
heyyo[[:

i'm offered PFM too haha. but aint a poly student like you but hey, at least imma a gal[[: LOL.
Hi there! What were your grades like?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
Lurv_1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetoria View Post
ARGH. i was hoping for FASS my 1st choice too! tons of major, got japanese stuides some more. nvm. let's all try for appeal![[:

otherwise, cya all in PFM in aug haha!
Yup.. Now I am drafting my appeal letter.. Hopefully I'll be able to get into the course I want... Otherwise, we'll see each other in PFM!!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
omg

omg has a neutral reputation

hey! im in ur situation too...i got E for GP...PFM is like my 5th and last choice and i got in too =S i got 75.5points...still really undecided about going for this course...cause this ain't what i wanted at all...i wanted something business related...but the link lurv gave makes me kinda hopeful

anw are all of u guys (riz, needtoknow and lurv) going for this course?
omg is offline   Reply With Quote