BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
onthebeach

onthebeach has a neutral reputation
Default Total costs of studying in UK?

I have some questions about the true cost of studying in UK can anyone help me?
1. is 180k enough for 3 years?
2. are the personal expenses on the school websites a reliable estimate of cost of living?
3. what about private accommodation in the 2nd and 3rd year?
4. how much do school fees go up a year?
5. can you work in uk to bring the costs down?
Thanks!
onthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebeach View Post
2. are the personal expenses on the school websites a reliable estimate of cost of living?
Thanks!
It might be easier for others to help if you can specify where and what you intend to study. It generally costs more to study in London than in other locations in the UK. What you intend to study would affect your tuition fees too. Studying engineering or the sciences (especially those which require lab work) usually costs more than studying social sciences and humanities.

The number of hours you can work while studying in the UK is limited. Also, it might affect your grades, so you might want to reconsider this.

I'm not sure how reliable the figures on the school websites are, but from what I hear from friends studying there, some of them are for home students, and those for international students aren't very good estimates.
What I say is reflective my own opinion, not that of the BrightSparks Administration nor that of other moderators. Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Local Moderator - Overseas: US
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebeach View Post
1. depends on major esp on Fees.
2. Its a reliable estimate if u are looking those meant for International student know your sources when U use it to est. most ppl on a budget spend less.
3. U can do private even on yr 1. U can find housing info when U are there or online. share a apartment with a 2 or more ppl would bring the cost down.
4. no true guide. u can use 2010 and 2011 increase as a est.
5. U sure can. iirc its limited to 20hrs a week. not sure how easy to find jobs there. all the ppl I know didn't work.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
onthebeach

onthebeach has a neutral reputation

thanks for the replies! i want to study economics and i'm considering applying to lse warwick ucl kcl. anyone studying there who can give a better estimate? my parents aren't rich and going overseas is a huge sum of money for us so i'm thinking of working- maybe not during term time but the breaks. possible?
many thanks
onthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

an example

fees for 2010/2011 is at £13,680

LSE - est ~£$1K a mth.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/und..._of_living.htm

U may wanna try facebook and send them a msg to get a better pic
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215487851

Warwick est £9427.50 for 9mths, fees for 2010/2011 is set at £15,000
fees back in 2008/2009 is at £13,350, U can see its ~13% up! maybe a good est is at 15%. living expenses also est at ~£7.5k
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/i...e/livingcosts/
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/i...ctive/finance/

Singapore student society at warwick
http://www.sunion.warwick.ac.uk/sing...esources.html#

some Uni may have Singapore student group, those that don't try looking for them in facebook. They may have info on students jobs opportunities, if not try other student body such as those from malaysia/India/China. be proactive. good luck!

Last edited by patryn33; 07-18-2010 at 12:31 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
emilmei

emilmei has a neutral reputation

I am considering to go to the UK to read Law. I have done some research, so allow me to contribute to this thread.

I see that your uni choices are mainly in London which is ex. For me, i am considering Liverpool and B'ham.

For Liverpool, tuition fees is 9870 pounds per year. But they offer tuition discounts of 2500 pounds per year, subject to good academic performance. Thus tuition fee per annum is 7370 pounds. For accomodation, self catered halls is 3250 pounds. Liverpool is an inexpensive city to live in, so 6000 pounds per year is reasonable, provided u pack your meals and live on a budget. Thus per year 7370 + 6000 = 13370 pounds. Multiply by 3, we have 40K pounds, which is equivalent to 86K Sing Dollars.

For B'ham, the tuition fees is 10800 pounds per year, but as usual, with tuition fee discounts for good performance, tuition is only 7800 pounds per year. Accomodation is about the same at 3250 pounds. I am not sure if B'ham is an expensive place to live in, but 6000 pounds is about a reasonable estimate. All in all, the total cost over 3 years, is about 85-90K Sing.

Pls note that these fees are calculated with tuition fee discounts in mind and excluding airfare and winter wear. Not all universities award fee reductions for good acad performance however. I am not sure if your choice of universities have them. IT is worthwhile to do a check. In addition, i am assuming the lifestyle of the student is a very modest one.

I would think so. I did a check, 6000-8000 pounds a year seem pretty typical for a non London uni. International students do not need to pay Council tax.

No comment. Y not stay in uni halls? Safer, less hassle and probably cheaper too!

For Liverpool and B'ham, the unis offer a fixed fee guarantee. Ie tuition fees will be locked in at first year rates the moment you enrol, and will not inflate. I am not sure for London unis whether they offer such guarantees.

For sure you can. In fact, i think working is a good way to immerse in local culture and know more people. There are concerns whether it will affect your grades, i will think not. UK unis are generally quite relaxed lar, so unlike NTU and NUS, where there is definitely content overload.

Hope my comments help.
emilmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilmei View Post
For sure you can. In fact, i think working is a good way to immerse in local culture and know more people. There are concerns whether it will affect your grades, i will think not. UK unis are generally quite relaxed lar, so unlike NTU and NUS, where there is definitely content overload.
This probably varies from person to person. Some of my friends in LSE and UCL complain of the heavy workload. Mind you, they're good enough to get into the rather competitive Economics courses at these schools, so I think they should be, well, quite academically inclined. I guess it depends how much study time one requires - some people don't need as much as others.

Oh, by the way, as far as I know, KCL doesn't offer Economics?

What I say is reflective my own opinion, not that of the BrightSparks Administration nor that of other moderators. Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Local Moderator - Overseas: US
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
Irenicis

Irenicis has a neutral reputation

So for unis in london and for the course that onthebeach mentioned, can i say that it'll be about 200k in total for the three years?
Irenicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
euporie

euporie has a neutral reputation

How much would be living expenses (including accomodation) be in London for 1 month? Basically including everything that we have to spend aside from the compulsory tution fees?

Heard tution fees are rising (by a great deal) next year
euporie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
virtualfullstop

virtualfullstop has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by euporie View Post
How much would be living expenses (including accomodation) be in London for 1 month? Basically including everything that we have to spend aside from the compulsory tution fees?

Heard tution fees are rising (by a great deal) next year
1200 pounds should be enough. Maybe slightly less if you can save more on food and entertainment.
virtualfullstop is offline   Reply With Quote