BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Medicine, Dentistry & Healthcare
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Alexender

Alexender has a neutral reputation
Exclamation Medicine in Royal College of Surgeons (RCSI Ireland)

Hi guys,

Has anyone been offered a place in RCSI? I am aware that RCSI students graduate with a degree from another university and are conferred LRCP & SI, what is the significance of this title? Does it value add to the traditional MBBS which will be conferred? I have been invited to attend the interview on 18 March, the course fees is around S$80,000 per annum. Pls advise.

Many thanks in advance,

Alexender
Alexender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexender View Post

Hi guys,

Has anyone been offered a place in RCSI? I am aware that RCSI students graduate with a degree from another university and are conferred LRCP & SI, what is the significance of this title? Does it value add to the traditional MBBS which will be conferred? I have been invited to attend the interview on 18 March, the course fees is around S$80,000 per annum. Pls advise.

Many thanks in advance,

Alexender
LRCP &SI simply means Licentiate of the royal college of physician and surgeons in ireland. no difference. just the nomenclature. like other irish uni confer MB ChB BAO-just a tradition for them.

"As a result of this historical legacy, graduates of medicine still receive Licentiate diplomas from the two Royal Colleges as well as now being awarded MB (Bachelor of Medicine) BCh (Bachelor of Surgery) and BAO (Bachelor of the Art of Obstetrics) degrees by the National University of Ireland."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_C...ons_in_Ireland

hope this helps.
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
deb11

deb11 has a neutral reputation
Smile

Quote:

Hi guys,

Many thanks in advance,

Alexender
hello! I've been offered a place on friday (: my interview was about a week ago, good luck for your interview! will you be applying for NUS? also do note that the RCS dont defer places for NS! lemme know if you're going so at least i know another singaporean who is
deb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
rainbow

rainbow has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb11 View Post
hello! I've been offered a place on friday (: my interview was about a week ago, good luck for your interview! will you be applying for NUS? also do note that the RCS dont defer places for NS! lemme know if you're going so at least i know another singaporean who is
hey, congrats! May I know when you applied for RCSI? When did you take your 'A's? i would like to apply too but the application period seems to have closed for this year...

Last edited by rainbow; 04-11-2011 at 11:27 PM.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
deb11

Hello rainbow!
thanks!
I took my As in 2010! Got AAB/A. I applied shortly after As results, Around march. I think there's no harm sending your application in now to see if it goes through
Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Rcc

Rcc has a neutral reputation
Send a message via AIM to Rcc

Quote:

Hi guys,

Has anyone been offered a place in RCSI? .... the course fees is around S$80,000 per annum. Pls advise.

Alexender
WHoa ! That's the most ex fees p.a. for Meds I have seen !
Rcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
abc1

abc1 has a neutral reputation

Quote:

Hey deb11, I've got an offer from RCSI too! Are you going to pay for the deposit? Need to pay by the end of April, before the release of NUS med results...
Does anyone have any idea about the quality of teaching in RCSI? The school fees are quite hefty, so I need to consider carefully...
abc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
deb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1 View Post
Hey deb11, I've got an offer from RCSI too! Are you going to pay for the deposit? Need to pay by the end of April, before the release of NUS med results...
Does anyone have any idea about the quality of teaching in RCSI? The school fees are quite hefty, so I need to consider carefully...
Congrats I already paid the deposit cause ill def be going to RCSI if I don't get NUS. Don't wanna risk the deadline. I heard the teaching is good and it's prestigious. I know two doctors in the hospital I was attached at from there. Both of them strongly recommended the school. And I trust their judgement. How was your interview? Add me on skype? Dabdeb11
If you decide to pay n go we can settle stuff together! It'd be great to fly with a singaporean
Old 04-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Bosty
Super Moderator

Bosty has a neutral reputation

I was initially interested in Ireland universities, but their course fees totally turned me away. UK is much cheaper!
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
abc1

abc1 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Congrats I already paid the deposit cause ill def be going to RCSI if I don't get NUS. Don't wanna risk the deadline. I heard the teaching is good and it's prestigious. I know two doctors in the hospital I was attached at from there. Both of them strongly recommended the school. And I trust their judgement. How was your interview? Add me on skype? Dabdeb11
If you decide to pay n go we can settle stuff together! It'd be great to fly with a singaporean
Same here, I met some drs during hospital attachments and in my workplace who came from there. But one of my NUS interviewers said she wouldn't recommend me gg there cause Ireland seems to be accepting all the rejects from all over the world! Hmm, so it's pretty confusing. In any case, I'm paying the deposit first yup, will add u on skype!
abc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ireland, medicine, overseas, study abroad