BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:56 AM   #71
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

I personally,think medicine is a really long journey,more so with post-graduate entry.

It's a career whereby,your family and you must be willing to accept that what you paid for,will eventually be returned.
Let's take for eg,you spent X amount in the 4 years of medical school.You will be able to earn back X amount in the next 5-6years on your own. Eventually,you will become self-sufficient. Definitely,the base downpayment for medical school is high,but it can definitely be alleviated with these financial aids.

https://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/admissio...al-aid-schemes
This is specific for Duke-Nus only.I think overseas medical schools will not be as nice.
You might want to consider an alternative career option if you can't enter Duke-Nus,as overseas route maybe a little expensive.(if money is a factor of consideration) I am thinking of biomedical research in PhD field as my worst-case scenario.

Thought process> Generally,I always had medicine in my mind during my secondary school days.I wasn't eligible for medicine in undergraduate,but able to get into sciences in NUS.Despite my options of pursuing medicine overseas undergraduate,I wasn't eligible for many of them too.There was only 3 options:1.postgraduate medicine 2.do a foundation year in Australia and try for undergraduate 3.retake As
For me,2 wasn't practical as I might have a chance of failure to get to med school and I will also waste the 1 year of finances there
3 was troublesome as I am not able to regain my previous stamina to retake As,more so when serving national service
So I decided with 1.

Initially,I wanted to apply to overseas to do my undergraduate but I had Nus offer for sciences,which my parents claimed that it was a wasted opportunity if I give that up.

I went to Nus booth and started to understand in greater detail what Duke -Nus is really like,the culture and the admission requisites

Last edited by jedrek; 10-16-2015 at 09:20 AM.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #72
jedrek

I was able to interact with members of pre-med society(Nus),where a senior shared with me that not many are considering that route due to time constraints,finances and hopping to a new field(Note:medicine is not so similar to bio sciences)
As of now,there are 60+ spots each year up for grasp,the figures are set to increase.However,the downside is almost half of the offers go to foreigners and foreign Singapore graduates.(duke-Nus apparently does not play local favouritism)Also,half of the applicants have some form of working experience post university of up to 1-3 years.

Definitely,if you have a second uppers and good Mcat,you can give it a shot.

Last but not least,why do you want to convert to life sciences?Engineering is still possible to get into post graduate medicine.
It's also better to play safe and apply with honours,as entry to duke Nus is still highly sought after.
Bachelor degree is recognised in medical schools in Australia such as University of Queensland and University of Melbourne,the list goes on Australian universities.
Better to play the safe game to get your MD
Old 10-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #73
freefallz

freefallz has a neutral reputation

Thank you so much Jedrek! My thoughts were all over the place, and your sharing has definitely cleared up some of my anxiety. It's heartening to hear that someone is so eager and looking for ways to pursue medicine like me. I am considering Chinese Universities right now.. they are recognized by SMCs and are relatively cheap. hmm.. any thoughts on that? Anyways I really wish you all the very best !! And hopefully we can meet each other as docs one day haha , believe in the best :] meanwhile, enjoy NS while it lasts

Last edited by freefallz; 10-24-2015 at 12:14 AM.
freefallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #74
jedrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallz View Post
Thank you so much Jedrek! My thoughts were all over the place, and your sharing has definitely cleared up some of my anxiety. It's heartening to hear that someone is so eager and looking for ways to pursue medicine like me. I am considering Chinese Universities right now.. they are recognized by SMCs and are relatively cheap. hmm.. any thoughts on that? Anyways I really wish you all the very best !! And hopefully we can meet each other as docs one day haha , believe in the best :] meanwhile, enjoy NS while it lasts
Nothing to be anxious about, you just have to be patient.
Be prepared to be proficient in your Chinese before heading there, you need to take a test for several Chinese universities for your application.

The universities are recognized by SMC, but I will still prefer to apply to medicine in western societies, that are more rooted in the medical field.

So here I am, waiting for the next few years to pass by fast. On the part of meeting me, it depends whether you can find me or not. (not in the next 10 years at least) I love to keep myself hidden in the shadows if possible.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #75
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

are the 8 china Uni that easy to enter? their admission req lower for international students?

for local students the admission req is set crazy high. if compared to NUS maybe alot higher. the competition maybe tough.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #76
jedrek

Actually,I believe the admission requirements might be similar to NUS,or at least in terms of academics.

Definitely,the requirements will not be lower,not like Australia.

The best option is to be patient and let nature take its course.Don't keep pushing for med.school,for the sake of getting into it.

I have been through that experience but now I just want to be patient and do my best.

If you really love medicine and are keen on it,time will be a negligible factor.Don't fret about how long you need to complete medical school,because at the end of the day,that passion is what gets you into medical school.

Since you are already in university,make the best out of it and never let your results be affected in your pursuit for undergraduate medicine.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:45 AM   #77
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

During the baby boom - if a high school can get 3-5 students into uni that's meeting the avg already. Top uni are still competive for locals in nature

If China practice quota system for international students that can help admission. That will certainly relax things. I understand our Malaysian neighbors go to Russia or China med school for cost reason.

Looks like back in 2005 it's been attracting ppl from NZ or USA. Admission standard low back them. Fast forward its 2015 I hope it stays the same
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thre...ersity.248753/
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #78
ryantanweisheng

ryantanweisheng has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy View Post
Hey ! Anyone enrolling in IMU medicine this august 2016? I am a senior studying there currently, do PM me for more info if u need any help
Hi, i'm thinking of enrolling in the Feb 2018 batch of IMU.

May I know whether you know of any Singaporean students who managed to disrupt their NS to enter IMU? I'll be ORD-ing on 3rd April 2018, so i'll have to get a 2-months disruption.

Also, how'd you find the quality of education in IMU? and the IMU-PMS transition?

Thank you very much!
ryantanweisheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #79
Morgin

Morgin has a neutral reputation

SAF would not allow you to disrupt to go to IMU. As stated in their disruption guidelines, only serviceman applying for disruption into "recognised universities and courses" would be considered. As IMU is not a recognised university, plus as the IMU-PMS programme is a degree not conferred by them, SAF would not accept your application.

Besides, it is not 100% that you would be matched to a partner medical school of your choice, or any for that matter. So, the best bet for you (in the interest of time and opportunities/chances), is to apply to a medical school that has a lower grade requirement like say Adelaide's MBBS.

All the best.
Morgin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, cost, medicine, overseas, undergraduate