BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
ernest

ernest has a neutral reputation
Default Ranking of university

Hello!

It seems to me that NTU & NUS have been marketing their ranking aggressively and I see it in the prospectus, open house etc.

However, please bear in mind that we're going for BBA not MBA or E-MBA. I've not found any ranking which guage the schools based on their BBA only. I suppose those that rank by "business school" take into account the overall.

The criteria for ranking's should also be taken into consideration, some criterias are simply based on surveys.

For me, I've chosen NUS as first choice followed by SMU. I took into consideration the various programmes, facilities and culture of the universities.

Eg: NUS has USP (if I can even get in), NUS overseas college, new building (coming late this year), NUS enterprise division and incubator programmes. (Well, u can see that I'm biased >.< )

Then for SMU, I think I'll like the class interaction culture and the small university compound because it makes travelling around the school easy.

Other factors that people consider would be the employment rate of the fresh graduates and the average starting salary.

There're some people who got 12k and 8k for their starting salary, but I guess they're exceptional talents who top dean list, win international competition and had excellent internship/final year project.
ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
GES

GES has a neutral reputation
Default pls be a discerning prospective student and not fall for marketing gimmicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Global status (unless otherwise specified)

AACSB Accreditation NUS: Accredited NTU: Accredited SMU: Not accredited
EQUIS Accreditation NUS: In process NTU: Accredited SMU: Not accredited
ACRA for Accountancy (Singapore) NUS: Accredited NTU: Accredited SMU: Accredited
taken from HWZ: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=1852354

Accreditation - AACSB - EQUIS or EMBA

Each has got their strength, does not neccessary means that those with triple crowns (all 3) are the Best. check out harvard, insead, cambridge - does any of these ivy league universities promote ALL 3 accreditions ? the fact is that they dont need to, the name of their university effectively sells themselve. Its those "mid" tier universities that are pushing for all 3 accrediation and shouting to the world that they are the best. scan the horizon and u see universities that are so called "triple crowns ' includes the following

Aston Business School, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
Ashridge Business School, Ashridge, UK
Audencia Nantes, Nantes, France
Brisbane Graduate School of Business, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Grenoble School of Management Grenoble, France
Instituto de Empresa, Madrid, Spain
Lancaster University Management School, Lancaster, UK
Open University Business School, UK
Queen's School of Business, Canada
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Toulouse Business School, Toulouse, France
Universiteit Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
University College Dublin, Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business, Dublin, Ireland
University of Auckland Business School, Auckland, New Zealand
University of Waikato, Waikato Management School,Hamilton, New Zealand
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School, Gent, Belgium

you can judge for yourselves are these comparable to the likes of Harvard and Wharton . a good university does not need all 3 accreditation, they will normally pursue one that is from their country of origin - ie. US universities - AACSB | UK universities - EMBA | european universities - EQUIS. Accreditations are time consuming and labourious excercise which take away quality time in research and teaching. Good universities have the clear presence of mind to focus their effort on students experience and reaseach.
GES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
spencer

spencer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GES View Post
taken from HWZ: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=1852354

Accreditation - AACSB - EQUIS or EMBA

Each has got their strength, does not neccessary means that those with triple crowns (all 3) are the Best. check out harvard, insead, cambridge - does any of these ivy league universities promote ALL 3 accreditions ? the fact is that they dont need to, the name of their university effectively sells themselve. Its those "mid" tier universities that are pushing for all 3 accrediation and shouting to the world that they are the best. scan the horizon and u see universities that are so called "triple crowns ' includes the following

Aston Business School, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
Ashridge Business School, Ashridge, UK
Audencia Nantes, Nantes, France
Brisbane Graduate School of Business, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Grenoble School of Management Grenoble, France
Instituto de Empresa, Madrid, Spain
Lancaster University Management School, Lancaster, UK
Open University Business School, UK
Queen's School of Business, Canada
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Toulouse Business School, Toulouse, France
Universiteit Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
University College Dublin, Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business, Dublin, Ireland
University of Auckland Business School, Auckland, New Zealand
University of Waikato, Waikato Management School,Hamilton, New Zealand
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School, Gent, Belgium

you can judge for yourselves are these comparable to the likes of Harvard and Wharton . a good university does not need all 3 accreditation, they will normally pursue one that is from their country of origin - ie. US universities - AACSB | UK universities - EMBA | european universities - EQUIS. Accreditations are time consuming and labourious excercise which take away quality time in research and teaching. Good universities have the clear presence of mind to focus their effort on students experience and reaseach.
Good post.

Uni College Dublin and Aston are not that bad. I know of a person from U C Dublin who worked at Lehman NY before transferring over to Merrill Lynch Capital Introductions. Another person from Aston business is working at Citi Prime Brokerage here in London, and she's really smart as well.

Last edited by spencer; 04-06-2009 at 01:31 AM.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
seeweiren

seeweiren has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post

Uni College Dublin and Aston are not that bad.
Surprisingly, never heard of Aston University... I seriously doubt Citi might recruit a graduate from Aston if the branch is situated in Singapore or Asia. Seriously, I think more recruiters in Asia will prefer a local graduate.On a contrary UCD degree is offered in Singapore under Kaplan Institute, knew some grads who are now working in Standard Chartered Bank.

O yup all three local Biz School are fantastic school, but to put in personal opinion, i think NTU has a stronger and better reputation in their graduate business school. NUS has a good and deep rooted undergraduate degree curriculum. SMU is new, fresh, upcoming and rising. Well they have quite strong faculty widely known around the world as well though new. To start off, they already have few faculty members who are widely known Sheen S Levine, Margaret Chan and Kenneth G Huang. All 3 Local schools are fantastic and good enough for you to choose from.
seeweiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
Alex

Alex has a neutral reputation

I almost forgot. During dinner with a business associate of my father's company, he gave a piece of interesting information.

He is from Copenhagen, and hass been looking for a Business School in Asia for his kids. It seems that Copenhagen has a list of approved or recognised foreign business schools, and NUS Business School is the only Singapore Business School in the list of recognised foreign Business Schools.

Any seniors can help to verify this piece of information please?
________
VAPIR DIGITAL AIR ONE REVIEW

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GES View Post
Each has got their strength, does not neccessary means that those with triple crowns (all 3) are the Best. check out harvard, insead, cambridge - does any of these ivy league universities promote ALL 3 accreditions ? the fact is that they dont need to, the name of their university effectively sells themselve.
First of all, is NUS, NTU, SMU considered 1st tier Business Schools in the world?

NUS and NTU probably yes. SMU? Not a chance in the international scene.

Why do NUS and NTU or even SMU need such accreditations? Because they are NOT European or American schools! You see, what we have here is potentially what you can call a "protectionist" policy in a different light. Would Singapore recognise just any Business School from Malaysia? Does Malaysia even recognise NUS and NTU?

The accreditation is not necessary for American and European top tier schools, because it is in their own territory! Schools in other countries need these to ensure that their graduates can get employment in these protectionist regions. Especially when Europeans and Americans hardly understand education outside their very narrow definitions.

So the accreditations are VERY important for non-European and American schools.

NUS and NTU both are acrreditated is what we know. SMU, is just out of the league.
________
PENNY STOCK PICKS

Old 04-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

Quote:
It seems that Copenhagen has a list of approved or recognised foreign business schools, and NUS Business School is the only Singapore Business School in the list of recognised foreign Business Schools.
NUS, NTU and SMU all has exchange partners with the major business schools in Copenhagen, so I don't see why any of them would not be recognised. The major Danish firms in Singapore, Maersk and Vestas, both employs many graduates from all 3 schools.
SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUgger View Post
NUS, NTU and SMU all has exchange partners with the major business schools in Copenhagen, so I don't see why any of them would not be recognised. The major Danish firms in Singapore, Maersk and Vestas, both employs many graduates from all 3 schools.
Have to check with the Copenhagen list, if anyone can find it. Exchange programmes are mostly for cultural immersion is what I understand it. Recognition, is another thing altogether.

But that coming from my dad's business associate, should have some truth. Just need seniors to find out if this is really true or he left out some lines in his search.
________
Weed

Old 04-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
uwishunu

uwishunu has a neutral reputation

Hey guys,

I understand that the business courses in our local Universities are highly competitive. I have applied for all as my first choices. Yet to receive news from any, not even a single phone call for interview.

Last edited by uwishunu; 02-03-2010 at 11:21 AM.
uwishunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Have to check with the Copenhagen list, if anyone can find it.
What is so special about the copenhagen list? Unless you are planning to migrate to Denmark I don't see how it is of any significance.
SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote