BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > Comparison
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #31
seeweiren

seeweiren has a neutral reputation

Hi Twentytree, erm just fyi only, CBS, HSE and EBS are partner universities of SMU as well.
seeweiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #32
twentythree

twentythree has a neutral reputation

my bad, i think both smu and nus bschools have the higher grade of exchange partners, u guys got wharton so does nus which has stanford as well for the year long noc program. so guess thats the same. again my bad.
twentythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #33
azsxdc

azsxdc has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentythree View Post
- YUP, the crux, the intensity and rigor differs across the 3 bschools, so do make your choice personal and not because its the best or the ranking's highest or it seems the most corporate, but because you want it, only then will you make it. just my two cents lads =)
hi, so how would you rate the intensity and rigor of the 3 bschs? since we as prospective students would not know.
azsxdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #34
seeweiren

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsxdc View Post
hi, so how would you rate the intensity and rigor of the 3 bschs? since we as prospective students would not know.
Why not this? We provide you some information about some stuff that each different school practices, and you compare the intensity and rigor by yourselves. Because it's quite hard to compare when there are so many complex variable to compare the 3 school's curriculum. Plus, the grass is always greener on the other side. I always "whine" about how fortunate NTU and NUS biz school student are so lucky for not being as project intensive as SMU. While my fellow NTU and NUS peers think that their curriculum are always more demanding than mine.

Durations (For honors)
NTU-3 YRS
NUS SMU-4 YRS

Having 3 years means that they are squeezing all the content into 3 years so that you can graduate earlier, which means you have no choice but to finish more modules within a semester as compared to your peers' degree that are 4 years

Final Year Project/Thesis
NTU and NUS adopt a final year projects for their business school student. SMU does not require student to complete a final year projects as it's a 4 yr coursework, which means projects within a module.NUS and NTU first class honours require students to get at least an A- for their FYP, if not it will just be a 2nd upper honors.

Honors
NTU/NUS honors
2nd lower average B grade
2nd upper average B+ grade
1st class average A- grade with A- for FYP
SMU Honors
Cum Laude GPA>3.4 (B+ grade is 3.3)
Magma Cum Laude>3.6
Summa Cum Laude>3.8(A- grade is 3.7)

Tough to compare since SMU use Cum Laude System. Cum Laude is different from the honors adopted from commonwealth universities

Projects/Presentation
Touchy topic, but SMU will have more projects than NUS/NTU as SMU adopts a seminar session, so it means you will spent more times with your peers. NTU and NUS has tutorial and sometimes lecture where you are graded based on your projects. NTU and NUS are starting to adopt seminar system for some modules as well

Class Participation
As a Business student, you are required to be articulate and able to speak up, and interact with people. NUS and NTU has class participation for their tutorial but rarely for lectures, as lecture means there are 100 over students.
SMU has class participation which will constitutes to your grade for their seminars. This means you are require to come in class prepared to interact with your peers.

So if you ask me, I will say all 3 business school have quite a relative similar intensity so to speak.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #35
azsxdc

azsxdc has a neutral reputation

thanks for your quick reply. on a not so related note, i'd like to enquire abt the process of bidding of modules in the 3 diff unis. i heard that for ntu is fastest fingers first but for nus is not as simple? how about for smu?
azsxdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #36
Alex

Alex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I would disagree. To work in the USA or be recognised, you need the accrediations, which only NTU and NUS have. SMU has not been accredited, and can be said as largely not recognised as top tier in the US.

To say that by following a system is recognised, then would Singapore recognise a business degree from University of Mauritius just because it is also based on the Commonwealth system? No.

NTU and NUS are the ones to go for if you are looking for international recognition.
And I have this to remind everyone. Remember the latest economic upheaval? Many people were sacked. If you have a less recognised degree, you are less mobile and have to stick to only 1 country (Singapore) for jobs.

So if the jobs move on, you are stuck on a boat with no engines, no sail and no oars. And your hull is leaking with committments.

International recognition is serious in long term survival. Not just $10,000 a month for 3 months (and contribute to start pay stats) then get sacked or not be confirmed, written off the stats and forgotten by the media henceforth.
________
Effects Of Depakote

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #37
SMUgger

SMUgger has a neutral reputation

Quote:
So if the jobs move on, you are stuck on a boat with no engines, no sail and no oars. And your hull is leaking with committments.
Learn. To. Build. Your. Own. Boat.

SMUgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #38
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUgger View Post
Learn. To. Build. Your. Own. Boat.

And what the employers say about boats:

http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3324

Real life bites.
________
CAM WITH HER

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #39
seeweiren

Quote:
And what the employers say about boats:

http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3324

Real life bites.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/18/bu...s.html?_r=1&hp

Internationally Recognized degree (or best degree in the world) = guaranteed good paying job in tough times.

I seriously doubt so.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #40
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweiren View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/18/bu...s.html?_r=1&hp

Internationally Recognized degree (or best degree in the world) = guaranteed good paying job in tough times.

I seriously doubt so.
And if recognised degree are not doing well, what does it say about those unrecognised degrees?
________
Ecigarettes

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:21 AM.