BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #131
ray243

ray243 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPR View Post
Sometimes the best educators are those who are not in it for the money.
there are many things that money cant buy.
I do not mean the pay of the professors. I'm talking about the rather sizable R&D grants as well as the education resources local U would have in certain departments.

Some local faculties would probably have a much bigger fund than many other faculties in renown and reputable universities around the world.
ray243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #132
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
http://mothership.sg/2014/06/44-of-s...culty-members/

And at other departments and institutions, Singaporean faculty members are found to be in the minority.

The education ministry has said 28 percent of 25 faculty members of National University’s political science department are Singaporean.

At the university’s Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, 46 percent of the 82 faculty members are locals.

At Nanyang Technological University’s S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, 41 percent of the 29 faculty members are Singaporean.

And at the university’s Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information, 44 percent of the 48 faculty members are Singaporean.
That's not actually a bad thing. I believe at the teaching/faculty levels, talent should not be compromised. Everyone keeps harping on about how we should employ Singaporeans as a priority, but in educational terms, hiring the best is what we should want. This is the future of our country. Would you want a sub-par teacher teaching our undergraduates just because he is a local Singaporean? Or would you rather have a better teacher do the job? As a paying undergraduate, I would want the best my university fees can buy.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #133
VIPR

VIPR has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
I do not mean the pay of the professors. I'm talking about the rather sizable R&D grants as well as the education resources local U would have in certain departments.
a good researcher =/= a good teacher.
good education resource =/= good learning experience.
VIPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #134
ray243

ray243 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
a good researcher =/= a good teacher.
good education resource =/= good learning experience.
Of course it isn't as simple as that, but a good researcher and having good education resource is of massive help towards educating the student.

At the end of the day, funding still matters to a sizeable degree, simply because the nature of a university education is not like any pre-tertiary education.
ray243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #135
VIPR

VIPR has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok_ex View Post
That's not actually a bad thing. I believe at the teaching/faculty levels, talent should not be compromised. Everyone keeps harping on about how we should employ Singaporeans as a priority, but in educational terms, hiring the best is what we should want. This is the future of our country. Would you want a sub-par teacher teaching our undergraduates just because he is a local Singaporean? Or would you rather have a better teacher do the job? As a paying undergraduate, I would want the best my university fees can buy.
this was the quote on strait times from the interview with MP Seah Kian Peng-

A few months back, I had asked a question in Parliament and was a bit shocked to find out that a significant majority (18 out of 25) of the National University of Singapore's political science faculty members are not from Singapore. This is a subject I thought needed more locals - people who have been through it here, who can understand all the nuances, who have gone through the experiences themselves. It goes back to what we want our Singapore to be. What we want our political system to be like, what we want our values to be, must be defined by locals, not non-Singaporean academics.
VIPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #136
mishieru07

mishieru07 has a neutral reputation

Quote:

A fair number of courses offered by local U has better reputation than many top overseas uni because they spend far more money on this areas. This meant that they might have better researchers and professors working in certain area that is well suited for your interest.
I'm not sure this is true of the best universities overseas. Don't forget that the private US schools like Yale, Princeton, Stanford and Columbia have insanely big endowment funds - Harvard tops out at USD 32 billion. Even in the UK, where the universities are comparatively poor, Oxford has 3.8 billion pounds, and Cambridge has 4.5 billion. All things being equal, Singapore universities simply don't have the resources or funding to compete with schools like that (for reference, the combined endowment of NTU and NUS was SGD 3.4 billion in 2012/2013). Obviously, this only applies to common subjects that the universities offer (eg if you want to do a degree in journalism, you would obviously be unable to attend Oxford/ Cambridge, vice versa if you want to study Classics)

Anyway, like VIPR said, just because someone is a great researcher doesn't mean they make a good lecturer/ tutor. I've definitely had excellent academics who are very well-esteemed within their fields of research, and yet were less than inspiring. In fact, a lot of the higher ranking academics in my department tend not to take on heavy teaching loads, and some only teach at post-grad level, if at all.

Maybe the key is to encourage more good young Singaporeans to go into academia. Honestly, it's incredibly expensive to pursue post-grad studies without any external funding, and the lack of jobs really makes people think twice. Why bother with a (comparatively) exorbitant path, often with no security of tenure awaiting at the end, when you could probably earn more going straight into the workforce? It also takes a special breed of person to want to be an academic.

Also, I'm pretty sure MIT is also highly ranked for its management school (Sloan) and sciences too. Your general gist is right though - it makes sense to go to a school which is strong in your department.
mishieru07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #137
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:

Some local faculties would probably have a much bigger fund than many other faculties in renown and reputable universities around the world.
any numbers to share?
I understand mishieru07 pointed out endowment funds, but its not all pure spending money.

Care to share local Uni R&D faculties grants vs top Uni faculties grants?

bigger fund is one thing, the freedom to use the funds to do your own research not under the interest of the Prof/Uni is another. many times research funding from say a Prof is limited to a specific area of research.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #138
[email protected]

G@pEase has a neutral reputation
Default Help Please

Hello!!
G@pEase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #139
[email protected]

G@pEase has a neutral reputation

Hello!! Could you please spare us a min of your time to help complete this short feedback survey for a project we are working on?

https://tinyurl.com/myFuture-surv

We would really appreciate it if you would forward to your friends as well
G@pEase is offline   Reply With Quote