BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
NoyumiAo

NoyumiAo has a neutral reputation
Post Not very fantastic grades, where can I go?

I recently just got my A level results, and I got Bs for GP, PW and H2 Econs and Cs for H2 Bio, H1 Chem and H2 Math. My IGP is 72.5. I was really hoping that I would be able to enter WKW in NTU but my results aren't good enough, even though they definitely meet the basic requirements, so I was thinking of doing DA using my CCA. Can anyone walk me through the process of doing a DA?
Also, if I score slightly below the 10th percentile for a course, what are my chances of actually getting in? What's the most important thing Unis look at when considering applicants?
NoyumiAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoyumiAo View Post
I recently just got my A level results, and I got Bs for GP, PW and H2 Econs and Cs for H2 Bio, H1 Chem and H2 Math. My IGP is 72.5. I was really hoping that I would be able to enter WKW in NTU but my results aren't good enough, even though they definitely meet the basic requirements, so I was thinking of doing DA using my CCA. Can anyone walk me through the process of doing a DA?
Also, if I score slightly below the 10th percentile for a course, what are my chances of actually getting in? What's the most important thing Unis look at when considering applicants?
The most important thing Unis look at are grades. Simply because its an academic institution. Sure, you could have lots of community service or be really good at a sport. But such achievements don't make you better at engineering.

DA is done just like a normal application. Just apply normally and you'll be asked to fill in some components such as your achievements or a personal statement to be considered under DA as well. DA and normal admission are not two separate applications. Its the same application.

If I recall, the universities don't look at your CCA. They look at your achievements. So it doesn't matter if you spent 2 years in a certain CCA if you didn't win a prestigious award in that period of time.

Your grades are not too bad. There are still many courses that you can consider.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
NoyumiAo

NoyumiAo has a neutral reputation

Thank you for the information about DA. Do you have any recommendations for courses, including other unis? Although there are a number of engineering courses open, I do not think I will fare well in them since I take BCME and I do not have much interest in engineering...
NoyumiAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoyumiAo View Post
Thank you for the information about DA. Do you have any recommendations for courses, including other unis? Although there are a number of engineering courses open, I do not think I will fare well in them since I take BCME and I do not have much interest in engineering...
I used engineering as a mere placeholder. I didnt literally mean you should go there.

Your grades should be decent enough for NUS FASS. Since you are interested in WKW, you should also look at the other NTU HSS courses that are available.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
mudskipper98

mudskipper98 has a neutral reputation
Default Enquire about programme ranking

Hi, I would like to enquire that if I place NUS business as 1st Choice, but I know I most likely have to go through DA.. Will it affect my chances of getting into my 3rd choice of engineering which I have met the entry requirements?
Also, does NUS look more at UAS or the various grades?
mudskipper98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
[email protected]

community@lithan has a neutral reputation

no it won't affect. i think NUS looks more at various grades
community@lithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
[email protected]

G@pEase has a neutral reputation

Hello!! Could you please spare us a min of your time to help complete this short feedback survey for a project we are working on?

https://tinyurl.com/myFuture-surv
G@pEase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a levels, admission, requirement, university