BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Silv

Silv has a neutral reputation
Send a message via AIM to Silv
Default Local vs. top overseas universities

I'd just like to get all of your thoughts on this.

Some of us are facing this same problem, whereby we've applied to overseas universities as well and are uncertain as to which we should select. For instance, I'd like to know how NUS and SMU compare to UCL's Law (UK) or UC Berkeley's Business (US)? Are they any match at all?

I've asked a couple of friends, and some have expressed the view that our local universities are no match at all for the top overseas unis.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv View Post

Some of us are facing this same problem, whereby we've applied to overseas universities as well and are uncertain as to which we should select. For instance, I'd like to know how NUS and SMU compare to UCL's Law (UK) or UC Berkeley's Business (US)? Are they any match at all?

I've asked a couple of friends, and some have expressed the view that our local universities are no match at all for the top overseas unis.

What do you guys think?
Did your friends study there before? Or is it just because they feel that overseas universities means better? I think local and overseas unis offer different things. Overseas unis will gain you a lot of exposure and help you in character building. This you will not gain much in local unis. But for quality of education, I am quite sure it is comparable. Just look at how foreigners also come to NUS to study. They are from countries of top unis as well. And why do they come here instead of study at their own top unis? Because when they come here, they become the ones who gain exposure, and also an equally competitive education. Of course if you are talking about ivy league universities then its out of point.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
trapezium

trapezium has a neutral reputation
Default How do our top local universities compare with the top overseas universities?

Well, I'll have to agree with Ashearo on the point about Ivy League universities (and Oxbridge, of course).

I can't really speak for local vs overseas business degrees, but I can do so regarding Law. I have spoken to a local lawyer at one of the big law firms, and he told me that a degree from the University of London (UCL, King's, LSE) is comparable to a degree from NUS. What matters, he said, is the quality of the degree. i.e. he'll prefer a 2nd uppers from NUS rather than a 2nd lowers from the University of London.

Of course, there is always the issue of funding. If you have the funding, I urge you to go overseas for your undergraduate degree. It provides unrivalled exposure and experience, especially if you study in one of the big cities like London. If you do not have the funding, there is always the option of going overseas for your one-year Masters after you have completed your undergraduate degree in Singapore. It'll be much cheaper.

You might want to refer to this thread http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=90 for more views.

Last edited by trapezium; 05-02-2008 at 10:57 AM.
trapezium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

It's such a shame that it's not entirely feasible to study Law in the US. It takes way too long - 8 years in total (4 years undergrad, 3 years J.D., 1 year Diploma in Singapore Law conversion course) if you plan to practice in Singapore, which seems especialyl wasteful when you consider that your NUS Law peers get their qualifying law degree in 4 years - half the time!
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Alex

Alex has a neutral reputation

I spoke to a UBC counsellor.

She said, for Law, you must decide what you want to do later. If you want to just practise State Law and climb the Court Order become a State judge in say Memphis, then go to Memphis State Law School where all the network is. No need to consider Cmabridge, Duke, etc.

If you want to do international law, do consulting in big international law firms, then go for big brand law schools.

As for local Law schools I studies the lecturers and networks of both NUS and SMU.

NUS definitely has a huge advantage over SMU. The NUS Dean is the Judge! Plus of course they have many networks with international law groups and recognition which SMU is struggling to get now it seems.
________
Herbalaire Review

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
johnny

johnny has a neutral reputation

For law at least, which I've chosen to study locally as compared to going overseas, I do believe that NUS is still competitive enough. In comparison to UK universities, it might be below the cream of their offerings (eg. Oxford, Cambridge), but other than that, I consider it to be at least on par with the best of the rest, which is good enough especially taking into account the gargantuan additional costs associated with an overseas education.

Additionally, there is that added pressure of having to secure at least a 2nd upper to be able to practice locally if you were to study overseas, which is easier said than done when having to juggle the rigors of studying with the unenviable task of adapting to life in a foreign land.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
YUMING

YUMING has a neutral reputation
Default Law Schools

Many of my seniors in UCL and LSE have negative impressions about NUS and studying law in Singapore in general because of the way our judicial system works, which to them, is an insult to the study of law.
To me, NUS does seem on par with overseas universities in terms of what they teach. How they differ in their teaching will be a total wonder to anyone who hasn't personally experienced their system. However SMU seems to place a lot of emphasis on Law as a career rather than a degree, as portrayed in their electives. Where is jurisprudence, human rights, biomedical ethics and etc?

http://www.law.smu.edu.sg/blaw/detai...nd_courses.asp

Personally these are the subjects I want to study in law, and I am forced to go overseas as NUS would not accept my application. Moreover I believe having a degree from the london colleges will aid me in getting much more vibrant and exciting career there rather than slog my days out in law firms in Singapore, where lawyers are overworked, underpaid, and very, very unhappy. I believe if one was looking to work in the legal sector, Singapore would be one of the worst places to seek employment.
YUMING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Alex

Alex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUMING View Post
... I am forced to go overseas as NUS would not accept my application...
I enjoyed reading your comments and generally they sound very good. However, this statement did prejudice your learned reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUMING View Post
I believe if one was looking to work in the legal sector, Singapore would be one of the worst places to seek employment.
This is also what I heard from many many people I spoke to. Not just Law, but almost every job there is. Overworked and underpaid is almost always cited.
________
Weed vaporizers

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Could that be a case of "the grass is greener on the other side"?
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #10
spencer

spencer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv View Post

What do you guys think?
I don't know about law; a friend of mine is working at Allen & Overy here (magic circle firm) and she graduated from LSE.

No SMU and NUS are no where near Berkeley andl UCL.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote