BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
nanabanana

nanabanana has a neutral reputation
Red face Appeals

Hey guys, just wondering.
If you get posted to a course which was ranked lower in your list in XYZ uni but you want to appeal to another course which was higher in your list of course choices in XYZ uni, can you accept ABC uni's offer first and wait for your appeal to be successful in XYZ uni then switch over?
I'm not too clear on this. Please advice and thanks for your help!
nanabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
skizzer

skizzer has a neutral reputation

dun think its possible, the unis will screw u for it lol
skizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
nanabanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzer View Post
dun think its possible, the unis will screw u for it lol
no kidding?
so you only can accept the place in one uni and appeal for another course in that same uni?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
jellybean

jellybean has a neutral reputation

0_0 why is it not possible skizzer? isn't that usually what appeals are for??
-confused- . meaning if u get ur 3rd choice say in NUS, its not possible to appeal for ur 1st/2nd choice in NUS, but accept say NTU first in case the appeal is unsuccessful? if dont accept another uni's offer in the mean time, wouldnt one be left stranded without a place in any uni should the appeal fail...
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
nanabanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
-confused- . meaning if u get ur 3rd choice say in NUS, its not possible to appeal for ur 1st/2nd choice in NUS, but accept say NTU first in case the appeal is unsuccessful? if dont accept another uni's offer in the mean time, wouldnt one be left stranded without a place in any uni should the appeal fail...
yeah, i thought we have to accept at least one. now im confused.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
clarenceux

clarenceux has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
Hi nanabanana and jellybean,

I do not intend to do a double post but just in case jellybean is still confused about it and did not read the thread in NUS.

It is recommended that you accept an offer and appeal at the same time. This is to ensure that you have a place in the local unis in the event of an unsuccessful appeal. It is certainly unwise if you give up an offer in the hope that your appeal will be successful.

Generally, appeal is for the following situations:
1) those who are not offered any place in the 3 local unis;
2) offered a place in uni A but wish to appeal for a place in uni B; and,
3) offered a place in uni A but wish to appeal for another course in the same uni

(From NUS) Please note that appeals to Architecture, Dentistry, Industrial Design, all Law-related courses, Medicine, Nursing and some of the double / concurrent degree programmes that require a selection interview, will not be considered, unless you have taken the required aptitude tests and interviews conducted earlier.

That is so far I can think of right now. Perhaps if you have any other situation, feel free to ask about it.

You can appeal for any course ranked in your choices, be it higher or lower in the order of preference than what you are offered. However, it is really depending on the demand (popularity of course) and supply (places available).

I will not comment on whether should you appeal for a course that is higher or lower in the order of preference. It is really depending on how you position your choice. However, if you really wish to seek an opinion, I will not mind giving my two cents worth but please bear in mind that there is no guarantee in whether your appeal will be successful.

I will also not comment on whether you can appeal for a course that is not among your choices, because I really have no idea on this. Perhaps you wish to e-mail NUS/NTU/SMU and ask them about it.

For NSFs (regardless whether have they reserved a place or otherwise), students who retake A level, and those intend to apply again next year with this year's results, please note that you will be competing with the graduating batch of JC and polytechnic students next year. You will notbe competing with your own cohort.

This paragraph is dedicated to the NSFs. If you have reserved a place in one of the local unis, you may apply again if you wish to switch to another course/uni. If your application is successful, you have the choice to retain your reserved offer or accept your new offer.

Please correct me if I have made any mistake. In any case, I wish you luck in receiving an offer that you desire soon!
clarenceux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
jellybean

jellybean has a neutral reputation

LOL i read this post of yours on the other thread already hahahaha thanks anyway ya, im no longer confused thx a lot
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
skizzer

lol sry for the confusing statement =) i wanna appeal to chng my common engineering in nus to chem engineering which is not in my choices initially, gotta try although its hard, heard chem eng is always the most popular one.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
nanabanana

clarenceux: thanks!
i read your post in the other thread too. (:

skizzer: good luck for your appeal!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
skizzer

nanabanana: thx but its kinda hard, they say cant appeal for engineering coz biz is my home course, aARGHGHG, now gotta email them to chagne my home course... =(