BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation
Default Share your University Experience here!

Hi everyone,

If you are studying in a university, what is it like to study in your course? Most people have a vague idea of what each course involves, but we have set up this thread for you to share as much information about your university and course as possible, so that this can be a comprehensive and relatable source of information for all BrightSparks users.

Be it in a local or overseas university, public or private, we want your experience!

To help you organize your thoughts, here are some aspects of your university experience that you can talk about in your post. Feel free to share as much as you like to for each aspect in your post!

1) Basic info
• Name of university and course
• Year of study
2) Academic matters
• Describe your course. What are some modules you have to take? Any tips for scoring good grades?
• Describe your classes. How many students are there in each lecture and tutorial? How much time do you spend in school? What are your tutors like?
• What do you have to say about some common perceptions that people have about your university and course of study?
3) Student life
• Describe the culture on campus. What do you like or not like about it?
• Do you stay in hall? How is the experience like?
• What are some popular CCAs and what facilities are available to students on campus?
4) Any other information
• Which canteen serves the best food?
• Which course do most of the good looking students come from?

P.S. Even if your course has been already mentioned by someone else, don’t stop yourself from contributing your own post! After all, your university experience can be very different from your peers!

If you’re open to receiving Private Messages about university courses, feel free to add your name to the Yellow Pages thread. This is the only instance when double-posting is allowed, so if you want to start a discussion with your post, you may repost it in the appropriate forum.

Thank you for sharing!

For readers:

Please note that this is not a discussion thread. Please post in the appropriate threads / forum if you have any questions/answers. Posts that ask questions will be removed from this thread.

Lastly, when reading the posts, be aware that the information given by each person is based on his/her own opinions. The curriculum may change over time, and even two people in the same course and batch may have very different experiences. Ultimately, university life and studies is what you make of it.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Last edited by Haecceity; 06-04-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
jess_py89

jess_py89 has a neutral reputation
Default Life in SMU

Basic Info:
Singapore Management University – Lee Kong Chian School of Business
Degree in Business Management, Major in Operations Management & Marketing
2nd year going 3rd year

Academic matters:• Curriculum consist of 36 courses (excluding exemptions)
- Foundation courses (Academic Writing, Introductory Economics, Calculus) can be exempted depending on the grades JC students obtain for the GCE ‘A’ Levels
- University Core consists of 6 courses of which some I personally find irrelevant
- Business Core modules are served as introductory modules for the different majors
- Major Electives consist of 2 compulsory courses and 3 other courses for us to choose.
- Business options are additional 3 modules/courses from any business major or from other areas of the course curriculum
- General Education consists of 4 courses of which they can be exempted depending on the grades achieved from GCE ‘A’ Level results. GE courses are categorized into GE Arts/GE Science with the aim to widen students’ perspective in addition to the typical business-related courses
- Global & Regional Studies (2 courses) – International Economics A is compulsory, and we can choose the other course. Some students will choose Business Study Mission (BSM) which is a project-base course that involves market research and a business trip to better understand the topic of their proposed project. Every school term, there will be a few BSM trips to places like China, USA, Middle East
- Technology & Entrepreneurship (2 courses) – Computer as an Analysis Tool is the compulsory course which educate students on the use of Microsoft Office Excel 2007 to analyze data sets and the useful functions of Excel 2007. The other course is free for us to choose.
- Career Skills consist of 2 half-courses. Finishing Touch is compulsory. Students have to be dressed in business formal every lesson and we will learn about how to write resumes, cvs, coverletters, the tips for interview and job hunting skills. I took Negotiation Skills for Business as the other course and the lessons are very interesting and interactive with a lot of role-playing in negotiations.
• 10-week internship is compulsory as part of our graduation criteria. SMU Office of Career Services provides this portal – OnTRAC for students to apply for internships. However, there are restrictions on applications. At one time, each student only has 2 active application, and we can only accept the First Offer of the internship. Students are also free to source for their internship but a proposal has to be submitted and subjected to approval.
• 80 hours of community service is also compulsory. There are many overseas CSP and local ones as well.
• To score good grades for courses, it depends on various factors. Choose the correct professor with the type of course assessment you like. For the same course/module, different professors may set different weightage on the assessment criteria.
• Class size is usually capped at 50 students. 3 hours of lesson per week per module. I spend quite long hours in school and usually leave school after 8pm depending on my project meeting schedule. Course instructors are very approachable and patient. They are willing to meet outside class timings during their office hours for consultations.
• A common perception about SMU’s classes/lectures is that students will be actively involved in class participation. Raising their hands very frequently to ask questions or to facilitate discussions. It is true to certain extent but it also depends on the Professor’s style of teaching. Due to certain nature of the course/module content, very little topic discussions can be conducted, hence class participation level among students can be very low. Some professors enjoy in-class discussion and welcome students to contribute their views and opinions. As a result, some students may tend to ‘hog airtime’ during the lesson just hoping to score well for their class participation component.
• Many people also say that SMU is very competitive. That I have to agree. During group project presentations, everyone will be smartly dressed in business formal, presented their project with nicely designed PowerPoint Slides, interesting content. At the same time, students who are seated and listening to the presentations, will take notes and prepared to post their questions during the ‘Q&A’ section after the presentation. Some questions are intellectual enough, but some questions are simply irrelevant.

Student Life:• The image ‘created’ by SMU marketing campaigns for admissions tends to emphasize on the vibrancy of student life. It may be true that SMU students have a vibrant student life 5,6 years ago. But it may not be true now. The student population is increasing in numbers but there is still a huge group of students who do not participate in student life activities be it ad-hoc events, camps, CCA etc
o I am glad that I joined SMUXtremists – the outdoor adventure arm of SMU. Through the activities I participated and organized, I widened my social circle, interacted with other people from other schools as well. To me, it was like taking a break off from academics which can be rather stressful most of the times.
o Through organizing activities, I picked up various skills sets for personal development. These are things which we can never find them in textbooks.
o The Office of Student Life manages all CCA activities and we often have difficulties and constraints when comes to the planning of events. Safety is now heavily emphasized especially since the tragic accident to the Sailing Team 2 years back.
• SMU’s campus is very small in comparison to NUS and NTU. Thus, we have very limited facilities for CCA Activities. Our arts performing groups would have to take turns to use the studios for practices. Our fencing team and muay thai team often train along the concourse (SMU Basement) which is a very public place now that Bras Basah Circle Line station has opened.
• During my matriculation, it was ‘advertised’ that SMU has 114 CCAs. Having completed my 2nd year in SMU, I realized that many of the CCA clubs have become so inactive and freshmen who enter SMU may not have the interest or passion to manage the CCA Clubs.
• Nevertheless, there are students who set up new CCA such as the SMU Barworks where students will learn about alcohols and mixing drinks.

Any other information:• Sadly, SMU has no canteen. We have Koufu at our concourse but the food served there is horrible. There is no students’ discount for meals at Koufu at all. Across the road, opposite School of Information Systems, is the Kopitiam where SMU Students can enjoy 20% discount if we use our Kopitiam card for institutions. Some other common places for us to eat will be Plaza Singapura, Cathay, Pomo, Peace Centre, Princept Street, Sunshine Plaza, Waterloo Street, Victoria Street, Raffles City, Funan, Bugis, Liang Seah Street.
jess_py89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
sortie

sortie has a neutral reputation

1) Basic info
Name of university and course
NTU, Communication Studies

Year of study
Going final year

2) Academic matters
Describe your course. What are some modules you have to take? Any tips for scoring good grades?
Divided into five main areas – Journalism, research, broadcast, PR and Advertising

Modules included can be found HERE

There are both hands-on and theory-heavy classes which will require you to exercise all the talents that you have, apply all the skills that you have acquired, as well as garner all the resources you can lay your hands on. Stay consistent, manage your time well and strike a good balance between studies and the wide variety of activities organised by the school and the various clubs and you will be able to do well.

Describe your classes. How many students are there in each lecture and tutorial? How much time do you spend in school? What are your tutors like?
Each tutorial has around 20 students at most. Lectures are when all the students from different divisions will come together. The CS student population is generally quite small, which means you will always see the same people in your class. This means you can get to know one another better, which helps when you want to make friends and find suitable partners for projects.

Generally, the professors are all very friendly people. Even those who appear to be intimidating at first turn out to be awfully nice. It is usually quite easy to look for them when you have questions to ask. Even if you don’t meet them often in school, they are quite responsive to emails and phone calls.

As a poly student, I enjoy quite a lot of exemptions, which means that I don’t spend as much time in CS as the other students. I usually go to other schools for electives. If you arrange your time table properly, you can enjoy four-day weeks, or just spend a few hours in school per day.

What do you have to say about some common perceptions that people have about your university and course of study?
People usually think CS is a very coveted course. You can always easily spot a CS kid in NTU. They are the ones who are loud, confident, outgoing and fashionable. It is also usually one of the more difficult courses to get in. If you think you are the kind who can fit into this kind of environment, you will certainly have fun here.

3) Student life
Describe the culture on campus. What do you like or not like about it?
NTU has an easy going, multi-cultured environment. People are down to earth. There are many CCAs and activities that you can participate in and even more so if you are in hall. School is very proactive in providing competitions, internships, new jobs, exchange opportunities and exposure for the students. However, there is a good balance of work and play. Students are also very motivated to learn, especially with the competition from foreign talents in school.

Do you stay in hall? How is the experience like?
No. But I heard from my friends that it’s something that freshmen MUST try out, to truly experience uni life.

What are some popular CCAs and what facilities are available to students on campus?
There are all sorts of CCAs that will fit everyone’s interests and talents. If you like, you can even set up one on your own. CCAs are not the only activities you can engage in – there are school clubs, hall committees and games etc which you can be a part of to grow, develop and basically have fun in. In terms of facilities, there isn’t anything that really stands out from other campuses. NTU has all the basics that you need in a learning environment.

4) Any other information
Which canteen serves the best food?
Personally, I like canteen B, which serves very cheap school canteen food, but most people will hate it. It’s too crowded at times. Everyone loves the Korean food served in canteen 13, and if you want a safer option, there are always Macdonald and Subway at canteen A.

Which course do most of the good looking students come from?
There are generally no good looking people in NTU. HAHAHAHAHA! I think out of all the undergrads from the local unis, NTU students tend to be the most laid-back, sticking to mostly shorts and flip-flops. But students from Business school and CS are deemed to be more fashionable generally.
sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Haecceity

[Poster note: this post is not mine, but I'm posting it for someone else. Feel free to contribute, and remember that these posts can be subjective.]

1) Basic info
a. NUS, Medicine
b. Year 1

2) Academic matters

a. The beautiful and horrible thing about YLLSoM is that there are no modules – everything is pre-allocated. On one hand, no having to contend with that nightmarish bidding system. On the other hand, no studying astrology just because you feel like it.

In the first year, you’ll study normal form and function – basically, you’ll be memorising at least two textbooks worth of material. You’ll also be visiting NUH a lot, both as part of your class, and also to eat at the staff canteen/kopitiam/mr bean. This is when you’ll start to see your knowledge applied, and you’ll feel both amazed (to see what you’ve learned in practice) and terrified (which crazy person decided it’d be a good idea to one day put other people’s lives in your hands??).

To score good grades: memorise. That’s it. Start from basic concepts and work your way up. Learn to ignore the fine detail. Remember that at the end of the day, you have to apply what you learned clinically.

b. Class starts at 0830 everyday, and end any time from 1300 to 1800. Think JC2 – that’s a good estimate of how much time you’ll spend in school. You’ll have lectures, mostly, and about once a week, you’ll have tutorials, anat hall, histo lab, PBL, and clinicals (these are the fun parts of your week).

Your whole cohort should turn up for lecture. Tutorials happen in small groups of about 20. Clinicals happen in smaller groups of seven. You’re supposed to go at anat hall and histo lab alone, though most people will go through them with a couple of friends. Is that too many/not enough people? I think those numbers are very fitting, actually – you’ll get enough individual attention, and the chance to clarify any doubts with your profs is always available.

Your lecturers and tutors will, of course, be anything from completely incompetent to completely awesome. You’ll learn to love the webcast. However, they are all very approachable, so even if you’re completely confused, if you approach them after class to clarify your doubts (as many do), you’ll be fine. Also, even if you choose to never go to class, so long as you read your textbooks, you won’t actually fail, so that’s a reassurance.

c. The most common perception is that we’re all muggers and have no life, of course. And that is absolute rubbish. Ask any uni student which facs have the least Life, and they’ll tell you: Aki, Dentistry, Law. Yeah, Medicine’s not even in the top three.

The thing is, no matter how well or how badly you do, so long as you pass, you’ll be a doctor. As we say in YLLSoM, P = MD (pass = medical doctor). So there is actually a lot of room to have a life – at least in your first year. It gets harder as years past, but your first year will be full of colour.

There are many, many YLLSoM activities you can take part in; stuff unrelated to medicine, like Playhouse (all five years put up a play each), OT (the entire fac puts up a musical together), and sports (inter-fac, intra-fac, Med-Law, or competing with Malaysia). Or stuff related to medicine, like health screenings, overseas CIPs, and conferences. You can also join other things, like CCAs, or hall activities, or finally getting your driving licence. You will, surprisingly, have time to study still.

Another common perception is that we’re very incestuous – people don’t leave the MD blocks, and rarely date outside of the faculty. This is true. Of the 200+ people you’ll meet during orientation, there’s a 50/50 chance that one of them will end up your husband/wife.

3) Student life
a. Of course, being in YLLSoM, experience with the rest of NUS is limited. So what’s the culture like in YLLSoM then?

The most amazing thing is how much everyone cares for each other – there’s a culture of helping one another out that complements the competitiveness. People will share their notes with you. They’ll send mass emails to the cohort about good resources they found online. Everyone will have a copy of the best seniors notes. If you’re lost, you can ask anyone and be assured of a helpful answer. They’ll ask you what you scored for the CA, but they’ll also help you score well.

The profs, too, are amazing. You can approach them anytime, anywhere. Seriously. Approach them after lectures/tutorials, email them, ambush them in the canteen – they don’t mind. They want you to do well, and it’s comforting to know that they’re on your side.

There is, of course, also the competitiveness. You will know who the best scorers are. You’ll know who has finished reading this textbook, and that textbook, and also has memorised the seniors notes. Everyone will say they haven’t mugged enough, but there are those who will know those arcane facts of anatomy, and you’ll know who they are. If you’re the competitive type, you’ll either fit right in, or want to curl up and die. However, if you’re not, it’s actually pretty easy to avoid all this academic one-upmanship, so don’t worry too much about it.

b. I don’t stay in hall, but I do have friends who do – half the med kids stay in KEVII. There’s a sense of companionship, because there are a ton of hall activities you can join. But if you do join them, be prepared to stay up until really, really late. However, my classmates still join them in droves, so I’m forced to conclude that the fun outweighs the pain involved. In KEVII, at least, where the proportion of med kids is high; I can’t speak for the other halls.

c. A better question is, what CCA is not available. If there’s something you enjoy or want to try, NUS has it. Don’t worry.

4) Any other information

a. Everyone knows engineering canteen is the best, arts and computing come in second, and science a dismal third. This is what NUH/Holland V is for.
b. Good looking students? That would be the nurses. But don’t worry, medicine has its fair share of good looking people. Don’t bother eyeing students from elsewhere – your chances of dating them are slim to none.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Haecceity

[Poster note: posting for someone else; feel free to contribute.]

1) Basic info
a. National University of Singapore
b. Law

2) Academic matters
a. All modules are assigned in the first and second years. There is a compulsory third year course on evidence, but there is a freedom to choose a specialisation/take particular modules (that do not have to be non-law related). You take four modules a semester. The list of course you can find be found here.

b. There are a lot of readings to be done in law. There’s a joke that when people say that have 12 pages of reading due, they mean that the reading list is 12 pages long. This is, unfortunately, true. (This is typically only for one module – other modules also have their reading lists.) Most of us make do with senior’s muggers. Do not enter law if you dislike reading – you will die.

c. You will typically be graded in class participation (usually a lower percentage, and varies depending on module and teacher) or essay writing (these can be take-home papers or exam papers).

d. First and second year modules tend to be exam-based, while third and fourth year electives tend to be research-based.

e. The teachers are very approachable, and can be very funny.

f. Depending on the module, you can have lectures and tutorials or seminars. Law has more contact time than most other courses; but how much time you spend in class depends on the module and the number of modular credits.

g. You can see different faces in every class, so orientation/matric week can be important, in that you get to make new friends before you go in.

h. There will be plenty of late nights in law school, and not in the sense of "having a life".

3) Any other information/Student life
a. As a student in Bukit Timah, you rarely see students from other courses. If you want to, you have to take the BTC shuttle bus there. Depending on the time, it normally comes every half-hour.

b. Most CCAs are also at Kent Ridge, although there are several CCAs specifically for law students, such as the Law Students International Relations Committee and the Pro Bono Group. More information can be found at the NUS Law Club.

c. There tends to be a very dedicated group of hardcore muggers – but seriously, most people get in by being muggers.

d. There are two main canteens in the school – the Summit, Saparo (which serves Western food). There’s also the NUS Guild House around the back. It’s very easy to walk out through the botanical gardens to eat at Serene Centre/Adams Road Food Court/any place along Bukit Timah Road. You can also easily go to town – just take 171 or drive out.

e. People date both inside and outside the faculty. I hear the business faculty tends to be the best looking, but I have not been able to confirm this.

Last edited by Haecceity; 03-10-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
mmpq

mmpq has a neutral reputation

1) Basic info
a) National University of Singapore
b) Architecture

2) Academic matters
a) Describe your course. What are some modules you have to take? Any tips for scoring good grades?

Most of the modules in architecture are “allocated”. Your modules have been planned and you have freedom to only choose a few (less than 5) modules in the course of 4/5 years.
Every semester you take a major module simply called “Design” (or studio) which is 8 or 12 MC, and spend most of your time in studio preparing for it. Mainly you will be, well, designing according to a theme or task and trying to convince your tutor of your design, consulting them, checking your progress etc. There will be crit sessions where your work will be critiqued or criticised. You will make a lot of models; a lot of hands on will be involved. You will spend all your money at Art Friend, hoarding lots of pen knives, rulers and glue amongst the cardboard, paper and wood. I assure you at the end of 4/5 years you will be a DIY expert.

In the first year some of the modules you will have to take include: structural systems (mainly about physics and structure in architecture), a module on technical drawing that will take up a lot of your time, some basics modules about architecture construction and considerations, history and theory etc, they are mostly supplementary and compulsory, and slowly build up your understanding in architecture. The main module is design of course, and rather abstract, non-related to actual buildings.

In the later years, will you use more of autoCAD, projects that are short and simple will become very intense and complicated, spanning over the whole semester even, and you have to know every aspect of the building/structure you are designing very well.

To score good grades: Seriously, some of the modules simply work by, if you spend more time, put more effort in your work, you score better grades. Others somehow depend on your luck and talent, and a few are those that you study and memorise. Good thing (or bad) is you won’t have a lot of exams (well, the major Design module/studio has no exams, based entirely on CA grading). You HAVE to work consistently, if not you will never finish your work.

b) Describe your classes. How many students are there in each lecture and tutorial? How much time do you spend in school? What are your tutors like?
Your modules and timetables are planned out for you. Depending on your tutor, you may actually have very little “compulsory class time”. Therefore, you can be quite “free”, you may even, via careful planning, have a 3-4 day work week, with minimal lessons. But workload for studio is very high, and for a start, in year 1 sem 1, your drawing module will take up an infinite amount of time, somehow causing a very high drop rate. Studio for every year is Monday and Thursday afternoon.

For studio/design, you will be randomly grouped into groups of 10-15 or even less, depending on how many people have dropped out. You have your own studio space to do your work, it’ll be where you work, eat, sleep and play. Most people will probably spend every day and night (weekends, public holidays included) in the studio. It’ll be a messy place, and will be your second home. Since you spend all your time there, you will know everyone very well. Every semester your studio group will change.

But actually, how much time you spend in studio really depends on your time management, there are people who are very focused and complete their work on time, whereas other spend 24 hours there inefficiently, every other hour eating, surfing facebook or doing crazy acts. There are people who literally stay in studio (they buy foldable beds) 24/7, there are people who stay over occasionally, and there are people who don’t spend a lot of time there, either working at home and finishing their work quickly. If you work in, studio however, there is a lot of chance of interaction and discussion which will most probably improve your work. Your models might not be the most portable things ever, should you choose to work outside.

Your tutor(s) can be nice or strict, and opinions are subjective, some are awesome, others are not so, but you change your main tutor every semester... but each will teach something different.

c) What do you have to say about some common perceptions that people have about your university and course of study?

Common perception is of course architecture students have no life... which is true to a certain extend. You will be condemned in studio, busy working (or fooling around), and you will have little sleep. In general that is the case, but like I said, it all depends on your time management. Lots of people have their own fun and entertainment in studio anyway, whether at 3am and 3pm, you’ll most likely find many other souls to eat, play and work with you. You have your life in studio, mix little with the outside world, and lose track of what’s happening in the outside world. The most you’ll go to, other than studio and home, is Art Friend or your site. You will memorise the dimensions of A1 paper, know which brand of glue is the best and have many sharp and dangerous tools.

Anyway, if you can survive year 1, you can probably survive the course. If you find it not to your liking, please don’t hesitate to leave, it’ll be so much better than wasting your time and leaving halfway. There is little good in continuing if you don’t like it.

3) Student life
a) Describe the culture on campus. What do you like or not like about it?

Do we have a life? People in architecture are generally friendly, you see them all the time every day, the feeling of competition is low, and everyone helps out each other whether to buy/share materials or resources. There are people who impress everyone with their design, and others who seemed to sloppily put it up last minute.

b) Do you stay in hall? How is the experience like?
Many first years stay in hall, most don’t participate enough to stay on. Staying on campus helps, you don’t need to waste more time travelling, which is something you lack. However, if you help in designing the RAG float or something, you may just get to stay on!

c) What are some popular CCAs and what facilities are available to students on campus?
I kind of think 99% of architecture students don’t join any CCA, except if they are in hall or some architecture related ones. Even if they do join, I guess the CCA will end up in neglect. I am not very sure, but I hardly hear of people talking about CCA.

4) Any other information
a) Which canteen serves the best food?

Most eat at Techno Edge, the engineering canteen, and the food served is not bad. A MacDonald is situated just outside studio, and open 24/7 nearing end of semester. If you want to be healthier when the canteen is closed, you can walk over to YIH and have Subway. If you intend to stay in studio, bring lots of snacks. You have a locker to keep them (together with your materials, glue and pen knives).

b) Which course do most of the good looking students come from?
I hear business or FASS students generally dress well and may be good looking. You probably won’t have much time to find out anyway.

Last edited by mmpq; 12-30-2011 at 12:20 AM.
mmpq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
[email protected]

G@pEase has a neutral reputation

Hello!! Could you please spare us a min of your time to help complete this short feedback survey for a project we are working on?

https://tinyurl.com/myFuture-surv

thankyou so much in advance!!

Hope all of you are having fulfilling university experiences
G@pEase is offline   Reply With Quote