BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #31
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan View Post
Thnks for the info. Another qn, the NTU one will not have a dental school as well right?
No, but by 2016, when the new permanent dentistry building opens at NUH, the intake will increase by a significant number.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #32
chromni

chromni has a neutral reputation

Here's what I saw on the Cardiff Medical School website:

"The quota on the medical course in Cardiff University is approximately 24. Preference is, therefore, given to applicants from countries that do not have sufficient places in their own medical schools to meet the needs of the country. Cardiff University's Medical School would not normally consider applications from students who have been “ordinarily” resident in countries that have adequate medical training facilities during the 3-year period immediately preceding entry to a UK university."

Does that disqualify Singaporeans from applying!?
chromni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #33
SCSC

SCSC has a neutral reputation

Please click below for the world top medical schools in the Shanghai Ranking of The 2013.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/Field...hTTJY.facebook
SCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #34
nike142

nike142 has a neutral reputation

Hey, I was hoping to apply to Cambridge and Imperial College London next year and a couple of people recommended the Blackstone Tutors BMAT courses - any experiences/ advice?
nike142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #35
Liao

Liao has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike142 View Post
Hey, I was hoping to apply to Cambridge and Imperial College London next year and a couple of people recommended the Blackstone Tutors BMAT courses - any experiences/ advice?
If you are really a Cambridge/Imperial College caliber, self-studying for the BMAT shouldn't be hard for you. Don't waste money on private BMAT tuitions. I self-studied 2 weeks before the test and scored 5.4, 6.7,3.5A for BMAT last year.

All the best.
Liao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #36
rmd141

rmd141 has a neutral reputation

I'm in the same position and have heard similarly good reviews re. Blackstone Tutors and Kaplan BMAT courses.

Tbh, if I have to re-apply next year, it will waste more time (and money) than the course fee....let me know what you decide!
rmd141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #37
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

Hi, as I have received many enquiries about applications and life as a medical student in uk, I'll briefly pen my thoughts here: (I am currently finishing my third of fifth year)

- overseas life is not a bed of roses, especially as a medical student. Our breaks are much shorter than every other course.
- the transport system is poor outside of London. Factor getting a car into your expenses, as a clinical student. Otherwise, it's 5.30-6am starts especially for GP placements which may be hard to get to.
- medical school quality wise, teaching is excellent and patients on a whole are very happy to speak to you. Rarely have I had anyone not understand my accent. I conversely have had problems understanding some older patients with strong accents.
- medicine is tough. I am constantly studying to keep up.
- it is fun in uk. I have traveled a lot to Europe, cheaply.
- it makes no sense to come to uk from a financial point of view. Pay here is lower than back home. However, it has really been a good experience studying in uk.
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #38
nike142

nike142 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd141 View Post
I'm in the same position and have heard similarly good reviews re. Blackstone Tutors and Kaplan BMAT courses.

Tbh, if I have to re-apply next year, it will waste more time (and money) than the course fee....let me know what you decide!
I've decided to book the Blackstone Tutors course, partly because its in Singapore but it also helps that its run by admissions panelists. Have you decided?
nike142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #39
Jyx

Jyx has a neutral reputation

Hi. Can anyone advise on the medical checkup we must take before entering UK as a student? Apart from our health booklet that records our immunisations, must we produce any further tests to prove immunity? And the chest X-ray, must it be less than 3 months old or is it ok to be slightly older than that (like less than 6 months old but over 3 months)?
Jyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #40
vic1997

vic1997 has a neutral reputation

Hi can I check with u guys, I didn't take biology at A levels (but I took it it O levels) so may I ask what are some of the med schools in UK that do not require H2 biology and that which are recognized by the SMC? Thanks
vic1997 is offline   Reply With Quote