BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Trex

Trex has a neutral reputation
Default A level results- medicine?

Hi, I recently received my A level results and I got AAB for math, Bio and chem respectively, econs D, gp D, PW A and HCL A. I know that these results are quite screwed up, but is it possible for me to still apply for medicine? What are the chances? Because tbh i really do have a passion for medicine and have done plenty of preparations to go into medicine since sec school, by going for multiple hospital attachments,etc. I have received testimonials and strong encouragement from my teachers to pursue a medical career and I believe that I can ask my attachment doctor-in-charge to write a referral letter. Moreover, my Ds for A levels are the humanities. So should I or can I go for it, or just not waste my 1st choice chances on applying for this?

Thanks
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

Is it possible for me to apply medicine? Chances?

Chances,virtually impossible,way too far off for undergraduate admissions,at least.

You might wanna consider graduate entry medicine locally or overseas.
You can also consider undergraduate entry medicine overseas.

Graduate entry medicine

Local: https://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/ A lot of emphasis on research so it's wise if you go into psychology(FASS/NTU) or the sciences(chem/bio,etc.)

Overseas: Haha,I belong to this category.Not really so demanding as Duke-NUS and way easier to get into.

Undergraduate medicine

There are 2 ways to go about it.

1.Apply directly,I think 1-2 Australia medical schools will accept your scores.
2.Apply with foundation programme,do a 6/9 months foundation course in Australia and it will make you competitive enough to apply for medical schools in Australia.

*If you are aiming FASS,don't waste your 1st choice,as your scores are borderline.
*If you are aiming FoS,you can just take your chances in med,but bear in mind,it is virtually impossible.

*If you are passionate,time shouldn't matter and graduate entry should be just as good.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #3
Curio

Curio has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Hi, I recently received my A level results and I got AAB for math, Bio and chem respectively, econs D, gp D, PW A and HCL A. I know that these results are quite screwed up, but is it possible for me to still apply for medicine? What are the chances? Because tbh i really do have a passion for medicine and have done plenty of preparations to go into medicine since sec school, by going for multiple hospital attachments,etc. I have received testimonials and strong encouragement from my teachers to pursue a medical career and I believe that I can ask my attachment doctor-in-charge to write a referral letter. Moreover, my Ds for A levels are the humanities. So should I or can I go for it, or just not waste my 1st choice chances on applying for this?

Thanks
Hey man, go for it! Apply under Exceptional Individuals Scheme! Trust me when I say that your results ARE NOT that far off! How do I know? Well I'm in NUS med and my classmate has the same result as yours!

However, do note that in order to maximise your EIS application, you need to prepare thoroughly and it begins with presenting your application in a good package.

Think of what differentiates you from the other applicants out there. Don't count on your internships alone as 90% of the applicants have internships too. Count on what you LEARNT from the internships. Put forth any other non-academic talents you may have.

All the best!
Curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Trex

Trex has a neutral reputation

Ok thanks so much for your helpful responses! I will consider my choices carefully
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote