BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Jazminz

Jazminz has a neutral reputation
Default Why do you want to become a doctor

Hi there!

Okay...my first thread.... *breathes in~ breathes out~

The reason why I wanted to start this thread is because I would like to hear your stories--about getting into medicine. This is because I'm confused and curious by the ''doctor frenzy'' we have here in Singapore.

Is it because of the glory and prestige of being a doctor?

If you wanna say ''money'', doctors don't really earn as much as they should be..? Well, not until you passed your housing year or even into residencies(i guess?)

Also, as a third year nursing student(with numerous clinical attachments), I saw doctors being screamed at(by patient's and their families), the stress they are under(while taking arterial blood for patients and failed even on their second try), and the guilt of them thinking that they are causing the patient more harm then good(when a conscious trauma patient was screaming in pain as the doctor tried to perform lumbar aspiration).

Long working hours compounded with a lot of paperwork to be done. Admissions, discharge issues. Arranging patients for surgery, and seeing bodily fluids coming in all forms(be it blood spurting out from an artery or feces spreading across the bed sheet).

I heard about the ''burnout syndrome'' doctors had which led them to practicing as a GP instead of a physician at the hospital..Will you do the same?

So come! Share your stories with me! Share your dreams and plans here! Share your pain and struggle. Share your REAL motives for applying into medicine. Be it for money/glory or for humanitarian efforts. For those who have already gotten into medicine, share your experience so far and tell us if your intentions had deviated from your initial expectations of becoming a doctor.

I understand that some of the information i shared here might not be accurate but these are what I observed in clinical settings. So please don't break into a debate here. Be it debating about what I've wrote or arguing about what other people have said.

Instead, please encourage each other with sincere motives. Applying for medical schools can be a big decision--and a tough one. This is because with the power and skills to heal, you can make a difference between life and death. Also, you might be in a huge tuition debt. In terms of personal impact on life, you might have to compromise a lot of things. From social life to sleep.

Now, let's get the ball rolling.

**Please avoid giving politically correct answers you gave/might give for medical school interviews and be as truthful as possible

**Please DO NOT ask questions like entry requirements or how you can get into medical schools. You can post your questions in other relevant threads

Last edited by Jazminz; 06-23-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Jazminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Curio

Curio has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazminz View Post
Hi there!

Okay...my first thread.... *breathes in~ breathes out~

The reason why I wanted to start this thread is because I would like to hear your stories--about getting into medicine. This is because I'm confused and curious by the ''doctor frenzy'' we have here in Singapore.

Is it because of the glory and prestige of being a doctor?

If you wanna say ''money'', doctors don't really earn as much as they should be..? Well, not until you passed your housing year or even into residencies(i guess?)

Also, as a third year nursing student(with numerous clinical attachments), I saw doctors being screamed at(by patient's and their families), the stress they are under(while taking arterial blood for patients and failed even on their second try), and the guilt of them thinking that they are causing the patient more harm then good(when a conscious trauma patient was screaming in pain as the doctor tried to perform lumbar aspiration).

Long working hours compounded with a lot of paperwork to be done. Admissions, discharge issues. Arranging patients for surgery, and seeing bodily fluids coming in all forms(be it blood spurting out from an artery or feces spreading across the bed sheet).

I heard about the ''burnout syndrome'' doctors had which led them to practicing as a GP instead of a physician at the hospital..Will you do the same?

So come! Share your stories with me! Share your dreams and plans here! Share your pain and struggle. Share your REAL motives for applying into medicine. Be it for money/glory or for humanitarian efforts. For those who have already gotten into medicine, share your experience so far and tell us if your intentions had deviated from your initial expectations of becoming a doctor.

I understand that some of the information i shared here might not be accurate but these are what I observed in clinical settings. So please don't break into a debate here. Be it debating about what I've wrote or arguing about what other people have said.

Instead, please encourage each other with sincere motives. Applying for medical schools can be a big decision--and a tough one. This is because with the power and skills to heal, you can make a difference between life and death. Also, you might be in a huge tuition debt. In terms of personal impact on life, you might have to compromise a lot of things. From social life to sleep.

Now, let's get the ball rolling.

**Please avoid giving politically correct answers you gave/might give for medical school interviews and be as truthful as possible

**Please DO NOT ask questions like entry requirements or how you can get into medical schools. You can post your questions in other relevant threads
Hi there Jasminz

Thank you for creating a thread for discussion about doctors

I am an incoming medical student and I have indeed seen and even experienced some of the dreads of life as a healthcare provider (unrealistic patient expectations, 3am emergencies, calls, incontinence, blood, gore, etc) during my attachments and work experiences.

What kept me going was in fact the outcome on the patient's health at the end. Being able to effect change through successful IV insertion, resus or mere assurance were enough to keep me going. Granted, those were just small things that I could do in my previous capacity as a medic. As a medical student/doctor, I sincerely cannot wait to be entrusted with the ability to do more for my patients.

What about yourself? Are you contemplating applying to med school?

Regards
Curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Many people enter medicine for the job security, despite the low pay.

I applied to med schools with the mentality that medicine is probably something I can imagine myself doing for a lifetime. That was my main motivation back then.

After school started, I realised that the most important lesson that has to be learnt by any medical student in med school is learning to be human and humble. Of course, disagree with me all you want. That's just what I think.

Anyway, I still think that it is a privilege to be in the position of a healthcare provider. Not implying that healthcare providers should be yaya about themselves but med/nursing students etc should cherish the opportunity given to them to be in such a position. Of course, unreasonable patients and family members yada yada can be rather disruptive when you have tons of paperwork to do. I don't deny that. But I am not too sure about people in the past but I have this impression that most people enter medicine with the expectation of long working hours for at least half a decade more after med school and getting treated rather badly as an intern. This happens everywhere anyway.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Jazminz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curio View Post
Hi there Jasminz

Thank you for creating a thread for discussion about doctors

I am an incoming medical student and I have indeed seen and even experienced some of the dreads of life as a healthcare provider (unrealistic patient expectations, 3am emergencies, calls, incontinence, blood, gore, etc) during my attachments and work experiences.

What kept me going was in fact the outcome on the patient's health at the end. Being able to effect change through successful IV insertion, resus or mere assurance were enough to keep me going. Granted, those were just small things that I could do in my previous capacity as a medic. As a medical student/doctor, I sincerely cannot wait to be entrusted with the ability to do more for my patients.

What about yourself? Are you contemplating applying to med school?

Regards
Hi Curio,

Your ambition and motivation is very admirable And yes, I am contemplating to apply for medical school... but that will be 2-5 years from now. It's either I'll enroll myself into the MBBS program or MD program after getting my bachelors. I don't think I can make it into the undergraduate medical schools despite my good GPA and having tons of community services(I'm an active volunteer with the Singapore Red Cross) + Clinical exposure haha. It's rather clear cut that A level certs stands a higher chance than a mere polytechnic diploma. Also, my O'lvl grades are not fantastic (17 points)....But still, I'll give it a shot after my 2 years of bond.

The reason why I wanted to study medicine in the future is because of my admiration towards the Human Body. How the compensatory mechanism works and how the body can overcome it's illnesses/injuries to become stronger.
So my real inspiration is not so much on helping people but on the research side haha. For humanitarian efforts, I would like to work with Medicine San Fronte(Doctors without Borders) one day. So being a doctor equipped with both medical and nursing skills will be an asset to the team. This has been my calling since I was very young(to become a first aider, a nurse and a doctor), and I don't think that's gonna change

Thank you for your submission!

Last edited by Jazminz; 06-24-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
Jazminz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseh View Post
Many people enter medicine for the job security, despite the low pay.

I applied to med schools with the mentality that medicine is probably something I can imagine myself doing for a lifetime. That was my main motivation back then.

After school started, I realised that the most important lesson that has to be learnt by any medical student in med school is learning to be human and humble. Of course, disagree with me all you want. That's just what I think.

Anyway, I still think that it is a privilege to be in the position of a healthcare provider. Not implying that healthcare providers should be yaya about themselves but med/nursing students etc should cherish the opportunity given to them to be in such a position. Of course, unreasonable patients and family members yada yada can be rather disruptive when you have tons of paperwork to do. I don't deny that. But I am not too sure about people in the past but I have this impression that most people enter medicine with the expectation of long working hours for at least half a decade more after med school and getting treated rather badly as an intern. This happens everywhere anyway.
Dear Hoseh,

You are right. Being in the medical field teaches you to be humble, human and humane. I believe that ''with great power comes great responsibilities''. It's a privilege to be in this role as we can save lives and aid people towards recovery. Actually the treatment you might get during internship might not be as bad as you think..

I wish you all the best in your future studies
Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

"I would like my life to be a statement of love and compassion-and where it isn't,that's where my work lies." Ram Doss

Heya! I am finally glad to have this pleasant opportunity to share about my interest of wanting to be a doctor.I figure it will be better to introduce myself first.

Background
I came from a neighbourhood secondary school,jc(I am a 17 pointer too!) and finally got into NUS life sciences. I was unable to get into local/overseas university for medicine,but trying for postgraduate entry prior to my National service.Probably an unconventional route,but I will discuss further later on.My university starts at 2017~ Current target= 3-4 years undergraduate+1year of postgraduate application wait+ 4 years postgraduate. Many people have encouraged me to retake A's but it's a no-no for me,because I can't imagine taking the non-technical subjects humanities/english together with sciences.
I am very hard-core towards to get to my final goal. I am influenced by my environment.If I were inwanting to be a doctor.Failure to be admitted means I will just keep re-applying a better environment(school,teachers),I will definitely excel in my academics. To cut the long story short,I am confident that I can become a doctor in future~

Why do you want to be a doctor?
The main reason why I can't stop thinking of wanting to get into medical school is my multi-faceted interests.Honestly speaking,I will be bored working in the hospital all day long for the rest of my life,I have to admit this very fact.However,why do I want to be a doctor? It is a career that combines both knowledge and compassion.You get the best of both worlds.For me,I have a genuine interest in the heart,the muscle that pumps blood around the body.The heart is one powerful organ that preserves the life of an individual. My aim as a doctor is to be a cardiologist,to save lives with 110% of my energy.

As for compassion,I have to high-five jazminz here! I am also interested in working with Doctors without Borders,as being a doctor there help me fulfill three functions-->Save lives with medical knowledge,do social work(community outreach) and last but not least raise awareness for such humanitarian efforts through journalism. Basically,being a doctor will help me be a life-saver,social worker,as well as a journalist all at once!

I do not have much hospital experience as any of you guys yet~~
However,I have my fair share of expertise at home,where I get to communicate with the elderly. I live with my grandparents and often chat with them about their life and also their illness.(grandpa has dementia,while grandma has depression) Getting to live my life with my fellow elderly folks motivates me to be a doctor,so that someday,I can reach out to more elderly individuals other than through community involvement.

other motivations
"Why do you have to be a doctor?There are many ways you can help others,perhaps through business and even biomedical sciences.">>grandma
I have been asked this question so many times already,but I still want to be a doctor. Think about it,does any of the above jobs help people directly? Not really I will say,I want an occupation that is constantly helping others and saving lives 24/7.

Love and warmth,I nearly forgot,grrr. Hospital is like a home and family.Yeah,some patients are cold and harsh.That's part and parcel of life. Think of it as your annoying little unappreciative kin that is a pain to be with during festive occasions. You don't like him,he may not like you. In my opinion,you cannot expect everyone to be gracious/kind/loving/sensible,but you can change your mindset to be gracious/kind/loving/sensible to these people and hopefully,you can experience the warmness in the hospital. Your fellow colleagues suffering alongside you,in the service of helping the frail/pregnant/weak/young will just toughen up and embrace the challenges of growing up in the family.

Hope to see you sometime in the future,do you mind if you send me a pm of your contacts,jazminz?

Last edited by jedrek; 06-24-2015 at 07:49 PM.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
Curio

Curio has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazminz View Post
Hi Curio,

Your ambition and motivation is very admirable And yes, I am contemplating to apply for medical school... but that will be 2-5 years from now. It's either I'll enroll myself into the MBBS program or MD program after getting my bachelors. I don't think I can make it into the undergraduate medical schools despite my good GPA and having tons of community services(I'm an active volunteer with the Singapore Red Cross) + Clinical exposure haha. It's rather clear cut that A level certs stands a higher chance than a mere polytechnic diploma. Also, my O'lvl grades are not fantastic (17 points)....But still, I'll give it a shot after my 2 years of bond.

The reason why I wanted to study medicine in the future is because of my admiration towards the Human Body. How the compensatory mechanism works and how the body can overcome it's illnesses/injuries to become stronger.
So my real inspiration is not so much on helping people but on the research side haha. For humanitarian efforts, I would like to work with Medicine San Fronte(Doctors without Borders) one day. So being a doctor equipped with both medical and nursing skills will be an asset to the team. This has been my calling since I was very young(to become a first aider, a nurse and a doctor), and I don't think that's gonna change

Thank you for your submission!
Thank you for your kind words Jasminz I just wrote what came to mind, what I felt was right. I suggest you still apply for undergrad med with your diploma. Consider overseas! It is not as out-of-reach as what many would think. Postgrad med is not easy, and in fact much more difficult to enter than undergrad med due to stiffer competition and less slots.

Ah Medecins Sans Frontieres, that's an ideal goal of mine too. However, I doubt that practicalities will allow me to pursue such path. It is worth bearing in mind that a typical MSF doctor on a mission earns about $1.5k USD, that's about SGD $2015 per month. Add the risks involved and other opportunity costs, it would be wise to rethink a career in MSF. One would argue that medicine is not about the money, etc etc. But think deeper, we will have a family to feed in future. We have our responsibilities. $2015/month would not be fair to our dependents. On the practical front, I think we can agree that medicine is not the road to riches. But rather, a life of job security and safety.

Of course, one can always go on volunteer stints with MSF, Mercy Relief, etc. You might want to read about the admirable work of Dr Tan Lai Yong

Regards
Curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Jazminz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrek View Post
"I would like my life to be a statement of love and compassion-and where it isn't,that's where my work lies." Ram Doss

Heya! I am finally glad to have this pleasant opportunity to share about my interest of wanting to be a doctor.I figure it will be better to introduce myself first.

Background
I came from a neighbourhood secondary school,jc(I am a 17 pointer too!) and finally got into NUS life sciences. I was unable to get into local/overseas university for medicine,but trying for postgraduate entry prior to my National service.Probably an unconventional route,but I will discuss further later on.My university starts at 2017~ Current target= 3-4 years undergraduate+1year of postgraduate application wait+ 4 years postgraduate. Many people have encouraged me to retake A's but it's a no-no for me,because I can't imagine taking the non-technical subjects humanities/english together with sciences.
I am very hard-core towards to get to my final goal. I am influenced by my environment.If I were inwanting to be a doctor.Failure to be admitted means I will just keep re-applying a better environment(school,teachers),I will definitely excel in my academics. To cut the long story short,I am confident that I can become a doctor in future~

Why do you want to be a doctor?
The main reason why I can't stop thinking of wanting to get into medical school is my multi-faceted interests.Honestly speaking,I will be bored working in the hospital all day long for the rest of my life,I have to admit this very fact.However,why do I want to be a doctor? It is a career that combines both knowledge and compassion.You get the best of both worlds.For me,I have a genuine interest in the heart,the muscle that pumps blood around the body.The heart is one powerful organ that preserves the life of an individual. My aim as a doctor is to be a cardiologist,to save lives with 110% of my energy.

As for compassion,I have to high-five jazminz here! I am also interested in working with Doctors without Borders,as being a doctor there help me fulfill three functions-->Save lives with medical knowledge,do social work(community outreach) and last but not least raise awareness for such humanitarian efforts through journalism. Basically,being a doctor will help me be a life-saver,social worker,as well as a journalist all at once!

I do not have much hospital experience as any of you guys yet~~
However,I have my fair share of expertise at home,where I get to communicate with the elderly. I live with my grandparents and often chat with them about their life and also their illness.(grandpa has dementia,while grandma has depression) Getting to live my life with my fellow elderly folks motivates me to be a doctor,so that someday,I can reach out to more elderly individuals other than through community involvement.

other motivations
"Why do you have to be a doctor?There are many ways you can help others,perhaps through business and even biomedical sciences.">>grandma
I have been asked this question so many times already,but I still want to be a doctor. Think about it,does any of the above jobs help people directly? Not really I will say,I want an occupation that is constantly helping others and saving lives 24/7.

Love and warmth,I nearly forgot,grrr. Hospital is like a home and family.Yeah,some patients are cold and harsh.That's part and parcel of life. Think of it as your annoying little unappreciative kin that is a pain to be with during festive occasions. You don't like him,he may not like you. In my opinion,you cannot expect everyone to be gracious/kind/loving/sensible,but you can change your mindset to be gracious/kind/loving/sensible to these people and hopefully,you can experience the warmness in the hospital. Your fellow colleagues suffering alongside you,in the service of helping the frail/pregnant/weak/young will just toughen up and embrace the challenges of growing up in the family.

Hope to see you sometime in the future,do you mind if you send me a pm of your contacts,jazminz?
Hi Jedrek,

I can feel the passion burning in you! To be frank, I have very similar goals with you. From journalism to MSF. Hope that I will get to work with you in the future!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Jazminz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curio View Post
Thank you for your kind words Jasminz I just wrote what came to mind, what I felt was right. I suggest you still apply for undergrad med with your diploma. Consider overseas! It is not as out-of-reach as what many would think. Postgrad med is not easy, and in fact much more difficult to enter than undergrad med due to stiffer competition and less slots.

Ah Medecins Sans Frontieres, that's an ideal goal of mine too. However, I doubt that practicalities will allow me to pursue such path. It is worth bearing in mind that a typical MSF doctor on a mission earns about $1.5k USD, that's about SGD $2015 per month. Add the risks involved and other opportunity costs, it would be wise to rethink a career in MSF. One would argue that medicine is not about the money, etc etc. But think deeper, we will have a family to feed in future. We have our responsibilities. $2015/month would not be fair to our dependents. On the practical front, I think we can agree that medicine is not the road to riches. But rather, a life of job security and safety.

Of course, one can always go on volunteer stints with MSF, Mercy Relief, etc. You might want to read about the admirable work of Dr Tan Lai Yong

Regards
Hi Curio

Thank you very much for your valuable advice! I'm also researching in overseas studies.. but there are things that I cannot overlook--like money. Right now I think I have to focus on my final year so that I don't screw up the efforts I've put into my diploma xD I agree with you on the job security part. Doctors and nurses can never go out of job, and I think that's part of the reason why I chose Nursing in the first place haha xD

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors!!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 AM   #10
Angryboyboy

Angryboyboy has a neutral reputation

For me, mostly honour and pride and ya
Angryboyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lkc, ntu, nus, som, yll