BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SUTD
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
engkiat0

engkiat0 has a neutral reputation
Lightbulb Enquiries about SUTD courses

Hi guys,

I am really interested in applying for SUTD, however I have some enquiries

1. Is the SUTD programme accredited? I am worried because it is a relatively new university, as compared to NUS and NTU etc.

2. Is there any advanced standing or credit exemption for polytechnic graduates? I know that the course duration is 3.5 years, which is slightly longer as compared to 3 years for NUS and NTU courses with credit exemption.

3. Approximately how many students does SUTD plan to accept and how many SUTD scholarships will be offered? I am from diploma in Green Building and Sustainability and have CGPA of 3.89 for the last 5 semesters. Do I have a high chance of getting into SUTD and getting a scholarship? From what I know, the school fees are $11,000 per year for Singaporeans, which is quite high.

4. Since I am going to NS after I graduate, will I be able to reserve a place so that I can study in SUTD after I finish my NS in 2 years time?

5. Since the undergraduate application period for polytechnic diploma holders ends on 3 March, I cannot wait until SUTD open house to clarify my doubts. Who can I talk to in SUTD to understand more about the degree program offered? Are there any other information sessions that I can attend?

Thanks,
Eng Kiat
engkiat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

To answer your questions :

1. SMU was also a new university in 2000. It was considered a private university but now look how far it has come. The government has recognized it and it is now on par or even better than NUS/NTU. I believe SUTD will also reach the same standards.

2. No exemptions. But i believe even for NUS, you will not get to 'skip' a year. Common misconception. You will still need to go through the same things, just that you will have more free time as you dont have to do some of the modules. 3.5 years for direct honours is still not that bad.

3. In 2012, SUTD had 500 places. However, they only took in 340. Citing quality over quantity issues. They basically don't take any average student. Out of the 340, 76 got scholarships from SUTD. You do have a high chance of getting in, minimum GPA is 3.67 in 2012. However, do note that your essay and interview does count. 11,000 a year is pretty cheap as compared to what other foreigners pay for their own local universities.

4. Yes, they will reserve a place, just like NUS/NTU/SMU.

5. You can probably email them from their website.

A 5-minute search would help you. I guess it's getting easier to score in poly nowadays.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
engkiat0

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
pokkaGT

pokkaGT has a neutral reputation

Which poly are you from? Statistically, there is one poly that has at least 3 times more students than other polys.

havok_ex assumed you are studying in a engineering programme. I assume if you are studying in SUTD, you want to choose a more familiar course like Architecture and Sustainable Design which takes about 4.5 years to complete and obtain a Master's.
pokkaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
engkiat0

Post Poly I am from

I am from Temasek Poly Engineering School.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
engkiat0

@PokkaGT Yes I understand what you are talking about. Thanks.