BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:04 AM   #11
Elsy Lim

Elsy Lim has a neutral reputation

Hello! Thank you to both your replies!

Yes, I do understand that for world ranking, Edinburgh and King's may rank higher, but in the field of Nursing, like what patryn33 pointed out, Edinburgh is first.

I'm not sure how to compare NUS to King's and Edinburgh though. But anyway, Edinburgh's placements are all out already and I didn't apply early enough. If I can get a shot at UK universities it is only Glasgow or King's.

And yes, thank you both for highlighting the fact about tuition fees, I do understand it is very high, but I am only considering overseas studies if I have a scholarship (e.g. MOHH). Because my parents are not financially capable of sending me overseas either.

On a side note, my dilemma was caused by the very low student satisfaction rate shown in several UK university surveys as compared to other universities. But King's graduates can look upon better job prospects, according to the surveys. I'm just not very sure what to expect IF I head to London to study. Is it party there?
Elsy Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:35 AM   #12
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

MOHH scholarship? No bond? Sorry didn't do research here I thought it's 6 yrs bond. Being a scholar itself and a bond you don't need a uni name for job prospects. Unless u breaking bond

On schokarship why not go upenn or Johns Hopkins or Emory or Columbia or NYU

Last edited by patryn33; 04-12-2015 at 01:45 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
Elsy Lim

Yes, MOHH scholarships have a bond. Local studies = 4 years, overseas = 6 years. Yes I do understand the university name may not concern. But what I am looking at is the education I can achieve should I become a scholar. If given the chance to pursue further, why not? At least get into a university that can offer one of the best education in the field. I am unsure if there is such a thing in Nursing, hence my question.

I thought about it before but I need to sit for SAT, and there may be insufficient time. Unless if I am applying for next year, then I do not mind sitting for SATs.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
patryn33

USA application for this year intake is closed.
For 2016 admission in the fall, application starts like oct 2015 and ends in jan 2016.

Some uni offer spring admission
Ie
Oct 1st deadline
http://www.bulletins.pitt.edu/undergrad/2admissions.htm
http://admissions.umich.edu/apply/in...ents-deadlines
Nov 1st
http://admissions.duke.edu/application/checklist

So I unclear regarding insufficient time. It's still apr 2015. Even with ucas the deadline jun 2015 only 2 mths away. Have you applied and waiting on a decision? If so no need to worry about UK vs sg or do you have to decide for scholarship application.

U are aware with scholars you may want the best edu, upon returning you maybe placed in position where there is little need to apply your knowledge, or even put that 20% edge u acquired in the best uni to use. 4 yrs into your bond that extra knowledge u gain may become dated. If u can do higher degree maybe that knowledge gain that help to influences the organization or industry.

Fun read, if u into research and or Learning cutting edge research
Here is a list of funding NIL provides to American uni. Perhaps there is s similar list for UK. I doubt a country will fund a uni weak in that area
http://www.report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm
http://www.report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm

Last edited by patryn33; 04-13-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
concern_parent

concern_parent has a neutral reputation
Default UK universities

Final last date for UCAS application - 30Jun, except for Medicine, Cambridge and Oxford.

From UCAS website :
"Applications received after 30 June are entered into Clearing - 30 June 2015
If you send your application to us by 18:00 (UK time) today, we'll send it to your chosen unis and colleges; after this date you enter Clearing."
concern_parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Elsy Lim

USA undergraduate is termed as pre-licensing? Looks like if I don't want a gap year it's either Singapore or UK. I have already filed in an application for UK universities but it's a late application.

Thank you for the information! I thought that USA does not allow intake into the second semester. >< I would have a look at US universities now! Thank you!!
Because my main aim is to be an APN. To go overseas I would have a chance to look at the different policies and how they operate. So I guess it's exposure in a certain way. They would prefer scholars who study local right? Because they are exposed to the local system and they have their attachments here.

I am looking to focus on the conical aspect. And if possible take part time research as a nurse.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #17
patryn33

Most country we know one just take an accredited degree program and you can become a nurse or RN specifically.

USA - Doing a Bach gives one a pre licensure degree, that's give you the academic qualifications to go sit for a National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN). Upon successful completion of this examination one becomes an RN. Much like law or other prof here in states, one needs to sit for an exam after completion of a degree.

See more here
https://www.ncsbn.org/education.htm

APN - adv practice nurse?
USA one needs to go for masters degree
UK kinda the same way, good read below
http://international.aanp.org/conten...ofiles2014.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsy Lim View Post
I am looking to focus on the conical aspect. And if possible take part time research as a nurse.
What do I mean by conical aspects? Or u mean clinical? Which part of clinical? More hands on work? Like what a poly dip will know?
or these skills listed below?
http://nursing.kumc.edu/student-reso...checklist.html

interesting read on UK
http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing-...059588.article
https://studentawards.nursingtimes.net/2014-winners

Last edited by patryn33; 04-14-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #18
concern_parent

concern_parent has a neutral reputation

Still looking into biomedical Science in UK/Australia?
Selection of Unis would depend on your A level results
concern_parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
jedrek

jedrek has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by concern_parent View Post
Still looking into biomedical Science in UK/Australia?
Selection of Unis would depend on your A level results
Some of the Australian universities accept polytechnic Gpa for biomedical sciences. I was applying biomedical sciences in Australia and universities accept students with a poly Gpa of 3,some above 3.2 and the best ones such as University of melbourne require up to 3.5 for admission to biomedicine.

Uk universities prefer A levels/IB,US prefer SAT,Australian universities are diverse and accept different qualifications.
jedrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #20
patryn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrek View Post
Some of the Australian universities accept polytechnic Gpa for biomedical sciences. I was applying biomedical sciences in Australia and universities accept students with a poly Gpa of 3,some above 3.2 and the best ones such as University of melbourne require up to 3.5 for admission to biomedicine.

Uk universities prefer A levels/IB,US prefer SAT,Australian universities are diverse and accept different qualifications.
Most if not all oz uni accepts poly grads. Australia enjoys a lot of international students for many reasons, certainly proximity helps

UK - not necessarily prefer As or IB. Poly holder can make into their uni too. Just that Oxford or Cambridge is better than uofmelb and req higher admission req. thus ppl with gpa 3.5 couldn't get admitted.

USA - SAT is not the only way to gain admission, one needs to haves good high school results, personal essay, CCA, recommendation letter with best uni. Other avg uni one can get in with just Os and SAT score. Sat is just a standardize exam to measure where you stand on top of what you currently holds. With the top uni it's not a preference but a requirement to submit SAT. As and dip or IB do get credits.

In fact all uni over the world are diverse and accept different qualification from all over the world. It's not restricted to Australia. Just because you are familiar does not make it true.

Last edited by patryn33; 04-15-2015 at 08:54 AM.