BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
janicepeiyuu

janicepeiyuu has a neutral reputation
Post Choosing subject combination in J1

Hi. I'm a J1 student. I'm contemplating to take 4H2 subject which is PCME or 3H2 & 1H1 (PCMG) for A level. I've always done well in geography in secondary school and I'm quite interested to study H1 geography. On the other hand, I have zero knowledge about H2 economics. However, I feel that H2 economics will help me to understand the economy better. Also, give the fact that Singapore is an economic hub, I thought learning economics would be a more practical choice.

I'm intended to study dentistry/other health-related courses, so that would mean that PCM is a must.
& I also heard that to apply for a scholarship, I need a total of 11au. Does that mean that I've to take 4H2 + 1H3? Is MT counted as 1au?

are there any scholarships available for PR??

Please advice thanks!

//

update: I have opted for PCME instead (: and I really enjoy econs a lot.

Last edited by janicepeiyuu; 12-06-2016 at 02:22 PM.
janicepeiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

1. CCA-wise, it will be helpful that you have something to show for. To put it simply, almost all the applicants for Dentistry are straight As students. What makes you different from the rest?

2. There is only 1 scholarship for studying dentistry in Singapore. It is an SAF scholarship. If I am not wrong, they only give it out to 1 male and 1 female every year. And the guy must already qualify for both OCS and NUS dentistry, before applying for it. If you are keen on the scholarship, i suggest you look it up and be informed about it. It may look rosy and pay for a lot of stuff, but in the end it depends on what career pathway you want. If you want to be a fulltime clinician, hate administration, and eventually see yourself in private practice, then you may want to reconsider your options.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
darksoul

darksoul has a neutral reputation

11 academic units are needed for some scholarships (A*STAR, certain SAF scholarships) while others do not require.

4H2 + GP + PW + either H1 MT or Higher MT at O level will give 11 AU. A further H3 is not required.
darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
whoamiiamspiderman

whoamiiamspiderman has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by janicepeiyuu View Post
Hi. I'm a J1 student. I'm contemplating to take 4H2 subject which is PCME or 3H2 & 1H1 (PCMG) for A level. I've always topped geography in secondary school and I'm very interested to study H1 geography. I have zero knowledge about H2 economics. However, i feel that H2 economics will help me to understand the economics of the world better in the future. Also, give the fact that singapore is an economic hub, i thought it'd be better to at least learn something from the subject itself. I'm intended to get into dentistry, so that would mean that PCM is a must.
& i also heard that to apply for scholarship, i need a total of 11au. Does that mean that I've to take 4H2 + 1H3? Is MT counted as 1au?

Does CCA matters a lot in order to get into dentistry?

are there any scholarships available for PR??

Please advice thanks!
I've had the same thought as you before; I've zero economics knowledge, can I cope with H2 economics?
I have finished my JC studies and I am confident to tell you that you can cope and ace economics. So many people in JC take econs even though they didn't have any econs background.

Also, in my opinion, take 4 H2s. You're good at geog? Why not H2 Geog?(although I've heard that the content required is quite jialat)

4H2 means 11au.
3H2 1H3 is 11au too, iirc.
whoamiiamspiderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dentistry, subjectcombination