BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
vic1997

vic1997 has a neutral reputation
Default Personal statement ideas

Hi guys, I am interested in pursuing a chemistry course in the U.K. and as I understand, the personal statement plays a significant role in being accepted/ rejected. However, I feel that I am lacking in ideas for the PS, for I do not have any chemistry-related work experiences nor competitions Nor research opportunities. I am currently in NS (but stay out), so is there any external activity I can do to boost my profile? Please help me, I feel lost right now; I can't think of anything else besides reading chem books/ taking online chem courses. Do I stand a decent chance of getting into a good Uni without the above activities? Thanks in advance
vic1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
jessicat

jessicat has a neutral reputation

Hey there! UCAS essays are much more academic as compared to the US. A good guide is that 80 percent of your essay should discuss the academics, why the course appeals to you and your perspective/critical evaluation of certain topics within the field you are applying to. They are not really interested in the portfolio you have built up but rather whether you can think critically.

Only about 20 percent should be about your CCA and your non academic activities.

In my case I managed to get into Cambridge for economics by discussing the economic trends around the world such as the rise of economic nativism and the dangers of doing so. I have never even done a single internship or join a CCA related to economics.

However, it is very important that your personal statement is well written and smart.

My school mate who got into oxford law recently started this personal statement editing service. It's editors are our friends who also got into oxbridge and ivy league unis. You can check it out! www.wordsmithcollective.com
jessicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
MrsFooLP68

MrsFooLP68 has a neutral reputation

Hi jessicat thanks for youre reply. Cos my son just finish JC he wants to study in the UK or like US schools and he don't know what he supposed to do. I think hes CCA vice captain so means he has a higher chance of getting inside the university right. Then what other things can he do if he wants to increase hes chance to get into the school? Thank you very much. And your friend website do what can you explain to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicat View Post
Hey there! UCAS essays are much more academic as compared to the US. A good guide is that 80 percent of your essay should discuss the academics, why the course appeals to you and your perspective/critical evaluation of certain topics within the field you are applying to. They are not really interested in the portfolio you have built up but rather whether you can think critically.

Only about 20 percent should be about your CCA and your non academic activities.

In my case I managed to get into Cambridge for economics by discussing the economic trends around the world such as the rise of economic nativism and the dangers of doing so. I have never even done a single internship or join a CCA related to economics.

However, it is very important that your personal statement is well written and smart.

My school mate who got into oxford law recently started this personal statement editing service. It's editors are our friends who also got into oxbridge and ivy league unis. You can check it out! www.wordsmithcollective.com
MrsFooLP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
kevin647

kevin647 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFooLP68 View Post
Hi jessicat thanks for youre reply. Cos my son just finish JC he wants to study in the UK or like US schools and he don't know what he supposed to do. I think hes CCA vice captain so means he has a higher chance of getting inside the university right. Then what other things can he do if he wants to increase hes chance to get into the school? Thank you very much. And your friend website do what can you explain to me.
Hi Mrs Foo! Great to hear that your son is looking to study in the UK or US!

In terms of timeline, your son can start applying in the second half of his JC2 year if he is looking to defer his NS. Otherwise, we would advise him to apply in the the second half of his first year in NS, as the university may not be prepared to hold his spot for more than 1 year.

However we will need more information before we can advise you more specifically. Is there any specific set of schools he is looking to apply to, and any particular course?

We have set up a website to address guide applicants such as your son. You can visit us at www.SuccessGoGo.com, or if its easier just post your questions here and we will respond to you.