BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Uber

Uber has a neutral reputation
Lightbulb UCL Masters vs NUS Double Degree

Hi all, I'm in a dilemma, between offers from UCL Master of Engineering in Mathematical Computation and NUS Double Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics.

In terms of QS uni rankings (ik it isn't everything) -
Overall: UCL 7 NUS 12
Engineering & Tech: UCL 53 NUS 7
Computer Science: UCL 37 NUS 10
Mathematics: UCL (51-100) NUS 14

--> overall UCL seems to have a better global reputation, but I'm afraid of the teaching and overall quality of education due to the stark difference in individual subject rankings, etc.
--> UCL also has the advantage of overseas experience, exposure etc... (but i don't want to be going overseas simply for the sake of it - but hoping to gain more compared to studying at NUS)

Anyone has advice? Thanks!

Last edited by Uber; 04-05-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
kevin647

kevin647 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber View Post
Hi all, I'm in a dilemma, between offers from UCL Master of Engineering in Mathematical Computation and NUS Double Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics.

In terms of QS uni rankings (ik it isn't everything) -
Overall: UCL 7 NUS 12
Engineering & Tech: UCL 53 NUS 7
Computer Science: UCL 37 NUS 10
Mathematics: UCL (51-100) NUS 14

--> overall UCL seems to have a better global reputation, but I'm afraid of the teaching and overall quality of education due to the stark difference in individual subject rankings, etc.
--> UCL also has the advantage of overseas experience, exposure etc... (but i don't want to be going overseas simply for the sake of it - but hoping to gain more compared to studying at NUS)

Anyone has advice? Thanks!
Hello Sir!

You are right that QS rankings are not everything. I personally studied in UCL (perhaps not your course) and I have many friends in UCL and NUS, and I can definitely assure you that the UCL Masters will be no less vigorous than the NUS degree.

If you are doing a degree like Computer Science, the professors can only help you so much, and if you are a dedicated and driven individual who takes time out in your free time to perfect your craft, you will definitely do well regardless of the uni/course you pick.

UCL being based in the heart of London will give you many internship and job opportunities both in the UK and Europe. The cultural exposure and the friends you make will also be invaluable and shape you for years to come.

While the UCL Masters is definitely more expensive, it is also shorter than a NUS double degree and you may want to factor in the extra earnings from a few years additional work when you calculate cost.

That being said, the decision must ultimately rest with you. There is no poor decision of the two, and I do sincerely believe that you can do well regardless of the option chosen. Both are sufficiently broad degrees that will not contrain your future career in any way.