BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Roge

Roge has a neutral reputation
Default Do i realistically have a chance at Oxbridge?

I'm a Singapore Polytechnic student from Computer Engineering. I plan to take private A lvl in mathematics,further mathematics and physics in the next 4 years (i still have a few more years in my studies + NS). Assuming i perform well in my A lvl and have GPA>3.5 from SP. I'm trying to plan for the future now so i won't make mistake such as entering the wrong secondary school because i cannot be bothered to think and choose about which school i want to join.
Roge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roge View Post
I'm a Singapore Polytechnic student from Computer Engineering. I plan to take private A lvl in mathematics,further mathematics and physics in the next 4 years (i still have a few more years in my studies + NS). Assuming i perform well in my A lvl and have GPA>3.5 from SP. I'm trying to plan for the future now so i won't make mistake such as entering the wrong secondary school because i cannot be bothered to think and choose about which school i want to join.
well as in all As? GPA should aim over 3.8 and not 3.5. 3.6 no dice.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Roge

Yeap as in A, I'm not sure how A levels work yet, still need to do more research on it. Basically, A for my 3 A level subjects and 3.8 GPA and above. I'm not sure how to get 3.8 GPA though since i just entered Poly as a year 1 student, I'm also introverted and shy so maybe my score for class participation might be affected? I do try my best to answer when the lecturers ask question though. I also plan to take my A levels near my final year or while i am serving NS.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
patryn33

Why did you choose poly over JC?
You didn't well for Os but choose poly cause u could make it to the ideal JC?

For a start not easy to do well for A especially for a private candidate
Old 05-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
Roge

Well I choose poly over Jc due to peer pressure I guess. Everyone was talking about poly life and many of them, teachers included somehow push me towards poly. I guess slowly I just got convinced that I'm not "Jc" material and just went into poly. However, it is not that I hate poly life, I enjoy it quite a lot. I just want to take private A now because I emailed oxford and it's probably the same for Cambridge, they say I must take A lvl to to apply. So I thought to myself, since I have 4-5 years to study for private A, I might actually be able to make it.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Why specifically oxbridge?
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #7
patryn33

Not all 6-8pt O level holders from JC make it to Oxbridge
Ppl in JC devote their time on doing well, not impossible to do it but unlikely realistically. Then again really depends on major, what do u want to read in Oxbridge?
Another thing can you afford? Today cost in 5 yrs time would have blown up. Worked out the numbers with the paying party?

There are ppl from poly going there iirc, but these ppl typically top 5 in the graduating cohort
Old 05-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Roge

Well, as a Singaporean of course I have thought of our class NTU NUS etc, NTU is just behind my house too. However, I looked through NTU and NUS stuff and didn't think that I'll enjoy studying there. Also I considered some US university such as Harvard MIT Princeton Stanford, but if you look at their criteria for admission, I basically have to be a "creator" or some president of a club, the problem is I'm neither. I also think the U.K colleges are more of my style. What I meant by style is, they are more grade/academic based and I'm like that. While the US and Singapore is more towards achievement,cca and overall result. I'm sorry if I'm explanation is a bit crappy, I hope you guys will understand.

Last edited by Roge; 05-04-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: I also plan to apply for either their Computer Science course or Engineering Science course.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roge View Post
Well, as a Singaporean of course I have thought of our class NTU NUS etc, NTU is just behind my house too. However, I looked through NTU and NUS stuff and didn't think that I'll enjoy studying there. Also I considered some US university such as Harvard MIT Princeton Stanford, but if you look at their criteria for admission, I basically have to be a "creator" or some president of a club, the problem is I'm neither. I also think the U.K colleges are more of my style. What I meant by style is, they are more grade/academic based and I'm like that. While the US and Singapore is more towards achievement,cca and overall result. I'm sorry if I'm explanation is a bit crappy, I hope you guys will understand.
I think you need to be more realistic when it comes to uni admissions. I have not actually looked at the admission criteria for UK unis but I am pretty sure anyone applying for oxbridge or even the london unis would have stellar extra-curricular stuff. This is the reality that you need to accept. Uni is only going to be harder to enter and these extra-curricular stuff will set you apart from others.

Trying to avoid unis in certain countries just because they place too much emphasis on extra curricular stuff is a wrong mentality. Competitive unis anywhere in the world will need you to be a well-rounded person on paper.

Another thing for you to consider when you are older - is it really worth it to chase after uni brand names? Is it worth the money and effort to study for private A and attempt to apply for a prestigious uni? What difference would it actually make when you graduate and are looking for a job in roughly 8-10 yrs time? Yeah by all means, be regretful about all the wrong choices you made in the past but does it mean that you should mindlessly aim for these unis? I am not fully convinced that you are fully aware of why you want to apply for oxbridge.

Sure aim for all the top unis in the world but perhaps consider changing your mindset if you are actually thinking of competing with the world's brightest kids. It is all about playing the game well and not seeking an easier way out just because you think you wouldn't enjoy it.

If you think I sounded harsh, good. Please go and think hard about why you want to enter oxbridge. Just because singapore's smartest kids applied to them doesn't mean that you will only be called successful if you get there. I am not from oxbridge and yes I must say, the brand name does matter for certain courses but for other courses, the oxbridge brand name is probably just there to let you enter the job market more easily and make you feel good about yourself that's all.

Lastly, to put things into perspective, if you do get the desired GPA and the minimum A level grades without much extra curricular achievements, you will be competing with the JC kids that did way more extra-curricular stuff and A level subjects than you. Go and think about it. I am really not discouraging you. I just hope that you would have a realistic view of things.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:21 AM   #10
patryn33

Iirc, U.K. Uni does look at your CCA (personal statement) and recommendations.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...te-application