BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
Roge

Roge has a neutral reputation

I see. Not saying that i didn't join any extra-curricular activity. I'm just saying that during my primary and secondary school, i didn't join any. However, in Poly, i join sign language club. Though I am going to give my best for sign language club and my poly GPA, I am not sure whether the sign language club will actually matters when i apply. I do understand that maybe i have not given much thought about different uni admission and their branding and all, but what I ultimately want is a PhD in CompSci or Engineering Science, and I want to do it in the shortest amount of time possible. Maybe I'm just impatient.
Roge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roge View Post
I see. Not saying that i didn't join any extra-curricular activity. I'm just saying that during my primary and secondary school, i didn't join any. However, in Poly, i join sign language club. Though I am going to give my best for sign language club and my poly GPA, I am not sure whether the sign language club will actually matters when i apply. I do understand that maybe i have not given much thought about different uni admission and their branding and all, but what I ultimately want is a PhD in CompSci or Engineering Science, and I want to do it in the shortest amount of time possible. Maybe I'm just impatient.
How is oxbridge related to doing a phd? Have you read up much about what the phd people actually do?
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Going to Oxbridge isn't the only way to phd.
You want a phd from Oxbridge?
Why do you want a phd fast? Engineering science? You mean any phd in engineering or science?

Your oath today is
3 yrs poly -> 2 yrs NS -> 3 yrs uni -> ???

Can afford Oxbridge ever ask your parents if they can pay a bond to leave today?
https://www.cmpb.gov.sg/cmpb/before-...rmit-and-bond/
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
Roge

I'm confuse. What should I do now though? Should I like begin with the end in one or just go with the flow? Any suggestion on what I should do?
Old 05-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
hoseh

hoseh has a neutral reputation

Keep your options open. Try to build up your extra-curricular activities. Do something related to the field you want to get into.

I think you need to first decide on which field you want to go into or what kind of work you want to do in the future. Then from there, decide on what kind of undergrad degree you should be after. It will be great for you to get involved in some research in uni (i am not sure if poly has such things or not) if you are thinking of pursuing phd in the future. This will help you to decide whether research (phd) is something you want to do.

If you do decide to pursue a phd, you don't need to go to oxbridge to do that (as discussed above). Pursuing a phd will take more than a couple more years (at least 5 years) after undergrad degree so that's something you want to think about as well.

With regards to taking private A, I don't think it's worth the effort. I think it's more for the JC people that flunked their A levels and need to get a decent grade to make it to local uni. Focus on your GPA and your extra-curricular activities. If you can afford it, you can apply to overseas unis with GPA and pursue phd with those overseas unis after ur bachelor degree. Of course, they are not as prestigious as oxbridge but if phd is what you are after ultimately, you don't need to go to oxbridge to do that.
hoseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #16
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roge View Post
I'm confuse. What should I do now though? Should I like begin with the end in one or just go with the flow? Any suggestion on what I should do?
I am also confuse. What do you by the above i bold?

What should you do depends on what you want to do! And do you have the money?
Not hard to do self paid Phd but really competitive to get a sponsored Phd.

U could be done with Phd in a short time thru Uk path
4yrs O levels -> 1-2yrs A levels -> 3 yr degree -> 3yrs Phd

USA path
4yrs O level -> 1.5-2 yrs of community college -> 1.5-2 yrs of Uni -> 5-7yrs of Phd.

source
http://www2.le.ac.uk/research-degree...pply/explained

Phd from North American uni often ~5-7yrs. but many students would have published at least 2 papers. better Uni and more demanding Prof maybe 5 or as any as 7. UK path way just 1 thesis min paper just 1. Going to academia U want to show U have done not only alot of research but your work is well cited by others. Going to the industry, u must do something applicable.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #17
Roge

Begin with the end in mind. Sorry.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #18
Roge

I understand that it'll be best to find an extra-curricular activity that fits what I want to do research in in the future. However, I have not really decided what I want to do in the future yet. I'll go and take some time to reflect and think about what I want to do. Thanks for all the reply.