BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
littleporcupine

littleporcupine has a neutral reputation

Did you apply for NUS med as well? Anyway which is your firm?? Edin or newcastle? I got rejected by Edinburgh medicine boo haha but when I applied last year , I wasn't sure I wanted to do Medicine so my personal statement sucked. Now I'm really sure though
littleporcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #22
isabelle_jia

isabelle_jia has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphiiregal View Post
unconditional from warwick and conditional from manchester for law (:
i got an unconditional offer from warwick and conditional AAB offer from bristol for law. dont know which uni to choose actually.

there are other unis that offered me but these two are the ones that im interested in.

but i chose to defer so im only entering next year. i wanted to spend at least 6 months doing internship at a law firm

still waiting for nus and smu law actually. i guess nus i dont stand any chances at all.
isabelle_jia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
yanshuo

yanshuo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle_jia View Post

but i chose to defer so im only entering next year. i wanted to spend at least 6 months doing internship at a law firm
Are you sure you want to defer just for the sake of a law internship? Are you aware that as an intern in a law firm, you will most likely be doing merely clerical work? (unless of course you have good connections or are good at getting your way with people)
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Say hi to us here!
yanshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #24
isabelle_jia

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanshuo View Post
Are you sure you want to defer just for the sake of a law internship? Are you aware that as an intern in a law firm, you will most likely be doing merely clerical work? (unless of course you have good connections or are good at getting your way with people)
haha hmm i do have some connections. haha and the thing is i've already applied for a deferred entry. dont think can change though. haha

i went for a law internship for a week during the june hols last year then the lawyer brought me to different courts to listen to hearings, to the bar room to chat with diff lawyers and read through his prev cases. very little admin work to do. actually near to zero. he even taught me how to draft affidavit and to liaise with clients.

Last edited by isabelle_jia; 04-17-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
shadowdancer

shadowdancer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle_jia View Post
i went for a law internship for a week during the june hols last year then the lawyer brought me to different courts to listen to hearings, to the bar room to chat with diff lawyers and read through his prev cases. very little admin work to do. actually near to zero. he even taught me how to draft affidavit and to liaise with clients.
actually that's probably because it was only a week long. i don't really get rave reviews about longer internships that my friends have gone for. one ended up having to spend 6 weeks sorting through the law firm's old receipts and organising them.
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #26
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

Conditional from Warwick and Unconditional from UCL.

Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #27
isabelle_jia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
actually that's probably because it was only a week long. i don't really get rave reviews about longer internships that my friends have gone for. one ended up having to spend 6 weeks sorting through the law firm's old receipts and organising them.
ahh. hmm ok i see. but is it possible to change my decision now? i mean, if i tell the unis that i want to enter this year, will they change their offer?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #28
littleporcupine

littleporcupine has a neutral reputation

Theres no harm e-mailing the unis directly? The worse that could happen is that they say no and make you wait a year
littleporcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #29
cwr90

cwr90 has a neutral reputation

I'm a little confused with the UK system. I received conditional from UCL and unconditional from edinburgh. But only the offer from edinburgh shows that it was updated.

I've chosen UCL as my firm choice. My question is, so what exactly is the difference between conditional and unconditional in this case? Does it mean that I may lose the place if others do better?

To add on, the offer package from UCL got lost in the mail! And I think that the package they resent is lost too! How long does mail take to reach Singapore from London?!

Last edited by cwr90; 05-08-2009 at 11:28 AM.
cwr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #30
Rcc

Rcc has a neutral reputation
Send a message via AIM to Rcc
Default Meds offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleporcupine View Post
Did you apply for NUS med as well? Anyway which is your firm?? Edin or newcastle? I got rejected by Edinburgh medicine boo haha but when I applied last year , I wasn't sure I wanted to do Medicine so my personal statement sucked. Now I'm really sure though
Good lah U ! So which are you going to accept ? 'cos the earlier you accept the sooner you offer your unwanted place to some poor soul waiting on the sidelines !!! Someone who dont have $$$ to go overseas !!!
Hmmm. he he he
Rcc is offline   Reply With Quote