BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
walrus

walrus has a neutral reputation
Default Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

Hello people. I am currently awaiting the release of the A level results and would like to know more about the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. Here are some of my questions:

On the website, it is stated that applicants must have at least a Bachelor's degree. If one holds a degree which has relevance to Medicine such as Life Sciences, will he/she have an advantage over another who has read something irrelevant, like History or Geography?

Also, how difficult is it to get accepted by the school? Is it comparable to, say, the Law or Medicine undergrad programmes?

I hope that someone with the knowledge can answer these questions. Thanks in advance!
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

1) If you have a relevant degree, it may help, but not much.

2) Admission to Duke-NUS is VERY stiff. Intake should be about 20-30 per year, compared to 250 for the normal Medicine course at NUS.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Zyvroklsayt

Zyvroklsayt has a neutral reputation

From what I hear from my seniors, having studied biology will count for much in studying medicine. The medicine students coming from Physics+Chem backgrounds usually have a much harder time especially during the beginning, as the Biology students have a pretty firm basis. My fellow ex-Bio stream JC classmate who's in Med now tells me most of the syllabus, especially in the area of biochem (three 'subjects' in Med: Biochemistry, Physiology and Anatomy). We study biochemistry in substantial depth in JC, and Biochem in Med largely builds on that knowledge.

Now, how is this relevant to a graduate degree. I'd differ with Ashearo in playing up the significance of having done relevant life sciences modules - especially those to do with health sciences. These will provide you a basis on which med school will later build upon. If you have not done these, you can still survive, just that you will have to work much harder to cover that ground by yourself.

That said, I also appreciate that some may want to study other things besides life sciences for their bachelor's degree. I'm not sure whether a BSc in Life Sciences is needed, but in any case one can always take relevant modules even if doing a BA. For example, take 'Biochem' modules, but not 'Ecology' modules - both of which are in a Life Sciences BSc.

Yup. Good luck if you wish to apply!
PGP Resident (08/09, 09/10Sem1), Raffles Hall Resident (09/10Sem2)
Email: [email protected]

Rule 2 from The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates: "A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."
Zyvroklsayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
a_p

a_p has a neutral reputation

The duke-nus graduate medical school is a graduate medical school as it follows the US style of medical education, where the study of medicine is a grduate programme. you graduate from duke-nus with a M.D. instead of an MBBS that you get from the NUS Yong Loo Lin Sch of Medicine. Of course you must know that the MD is primarily a US-style degree whereas the MBBS is a UK-style.

Having said that, i believe that they want diversity in their admissions. In their first at Duke-NUS, they have many people from very diverse backgrounds, including even PhD holders. So i believe that everyone has an equal opportunity.

About the life sciences related disclipline, true it may difficult at the beginning when you are studying the basic sciences, but to my knowledge, most non-biology medical undergraduates survive extremely well. and medical school is not just about anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. thats just phase 1 of your medical education (the basic sciences).

Duke-NUS has also different objectives cf to the traditional NUS medical school. They are primarily research orientated. and they dedicate a significant proportion of their curriculum time to research. Some students do go on to do a concurrent MD-PhD, to buff their academic portfolio as a clinical researcher
a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
grandscent

grandscent has a neutral reputation

I had got a few questions:
Do we need to graduate at NUS then apply admission to duke-nus or just apply to duke-nus after jc?
Quote:
Other Requirements

* Submission of official transcripts: Applicants who are graduates from the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) or any US or Canadian University should request their respective institutions to send their official transcripts directly to Duke-NUS at the address below.
Quote from Duke-NUS website.

Do we really need to serve 9/10 years of service commitment ?
grandscent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
Ashearo

You need to have a bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (life science for example) before you apply to Duke-NUS. It is a graduate school, but you need not graduate from NUS first. You can apply with a bachelor's degree from other universities.

Is that 9/10 years of commitment before, or after you finish your studies?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
terence

terence has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandscent View Post
I had got a few questions:
Do we need to graduate at NUS then apply admission to duke-nus or just apply to duke-nus after jc?
Quote from Duke-NUS website.

Do we really need to serve 9/10 years of service commitment ?
Duke-NUS is a graduate medical sch so u need a bachelor/PhD before applying for it. U can only apply to NUS medicine after JC if u want.
terence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Ashearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Duke-NUS is a graduate medical sch so u need a bachelor/PhD before applying for it. U can only apply to NUS medicine after JC if u want.
You dont need a PhD. A bachelor's degree is sufficient. If you already have a PhD, I dont see why you wanna study another 5 years to get another bachelor's degree.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
terence

terence has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
You dont need a PhD. A bachelor's degree is sufficient. If you already have a PhD, I dont see why you wanna study another 5 years to get another bachelor's degree.
What I meant was that there are ppl who apply to Duke-NUS after getting their PhD. It's not about getting another bachelor, it's usually due to a change of interest, etc.
terence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
grandscent

grandscent has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
You need to have a bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (life science for example) before you apply to Duke-NUS. It is a graduate school, but you need not graduate from NUS first. You can apply with a bachelor's degree from other universities.

Is that 9/10 years of commitment before, or after you finish your studies?
I don't know and am confused. Under the admission summary, there's a section ' Service Commitment ' , it stated
Quote:
For students enrolled in Duke-NUS, the service commitment period is as follows:

* 4 years for Singapore citizens

* 5 years for international students and Singapore permanent residents
Quote:
Total time to complete medical school, the 1st year of residency and the subsequent service commitment is 9 years for Singaporeans, and 10 years for Singapore permanent residents and international students.
So does it means we need to be in that graduating school for 9 - 15 years ?
grandscent is offline   Reply With Quote