BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
icantpassswingtrainer

icantpassswingtrainer has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Pharmacy

[B]MOD Ashearo EDIT

References for an Education and Career in Pharmacy

1) Singapore Pharmacy Council: http://www.spc.gov.sg

2) Pharmaceutical Society of Singapore: http://www.pss.org.sg

3) NUS Pharmacy: http://www.pharmacy.nus.edu.sg

4) NUS Pharmaceutical Society: http://www.nusps.org/

Mini Questionaire

1) Do you like subjects like Chemistry and Biology more than others?

2) Do you have a passion for the healthcare industry?

3) Do you aspire to be a professional in the healthcare industry?

4) Can you accept a lifetime career related to healthcare, be it in clinical practice, biomedical research or even pharmaceutical sales or regulation?

5) Are you interested in all things related to drugs?

If you answered yes to all the above, Pharmacy may be just for you!

Last edited by FeNiX; 06-20-2010 at 12:03 AM.
icantpassswingtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
a_p

a_p has a neutral reputation

Some of the questions you mentioned are pretty hard questions to answer. anyway im not from pharmacy, but from a related healthsciences discipline, so i will do my best to try and answer some of your queries.

I guess at the end of the day, it is true that people who are interested in the health sciences do put their choices in such an order. I mean sometimes circumstances just do not allow us to have our options, and we do have to fall on our 'back-up' plans. However, i want you to note that while pharmacy is indeed a professional degree like u mentioned, it it actually pretty different from the other health sciences in the sense that its more of an applied science than anything.

By the way, pharmacy has carved a name and a niche for itself within the nus community. in last year's nus rag, pharmacy had an absolutely wonderfuly amazing showing, and went on to win best float. so i dont think its fair for you to generalise that pharmacists lack pride. because pride and identity is something you carve out for yourself as a group. and the pharmacists have certainly done that (even with a small group) And btw, the 4 faculties involved in health sciences (nursing, medicine, dentistry and pharmacy) do have interaction in the form of a quad fac bash which is held annually.

I hope you can read up more about the syllabus of a pharmacy student. Some people ask whats the difference between a pharmacist and a doctor in the area of drugs. Well both of them study pharmacology (which is basically the study of drug actions). But the pharmacist goes on to do more detailed stuff, like drug research, basically things on a more micro level where drugs are concerned. As far as i know, nothing bout drugs is easy, haha, so i am guessing the workload is def high. but i dont think anyone in this world can compare the workload cross faculties.

I hope that you also realise that a bond does not equate job security, most of the time. in fact, it probably means job freedom. From what i gather, after you graduate, you can go on to practice as a hospital pharmacist or you can even go into the pharmaceutical industry to perhaps focus on research. the choice is yours! Dispensing medicine itself is a menial kind of job, that you dont really need a person with a pharmacy degree to do that. What pharmacists are involved in is the preparation of certain drugs, therapeutic monitoring of patients that are on certain drugs, and to be aware and can predict certain side effects of different drugs, as well as educating patients on the corrrect use of drugs. In a hospital, basically pharmacists are the experts of the healthcare team as far as drugs are concerned. So if the statistics are that all final year students have a job offer, the demand is pretty good. anyway in general, jobs relating to the health sciences are always in high demand one, so really dont need to worry.

Last part about NUS. NUS is as recognised as NUS would like you all to believe, but nobody in singapore believes. but the singapore education system is different from say an education system in the US, which is by far more liberal and more lively. But i guess even our education system is evolving to keep current. As for overseas or not its your choice really, but be mindful that to do well in the health sciences, you have to be able to apply what you lean in the local context that you are pacticising in.

Refer http://www.pharmacy.nus.edu.sg/prosp...harmacist.html for more details!

I hope i have given an accurate picture of what a pharmacist does, please forgive any errors that i make and feel free to correct me! thanks

Last edited by a_p; 03-16-2009 at 12:21 PM.
a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
nefta

nefta has a neutral reputation

Went to the Open House NUS this year, so I thought I could share what I learned from the lady there (:

BSC in Pharmacy can lead you to getting a PhD (mainly for research) and Pharm D. (if you want to mainly work in hospitals).

The PharmD. thing is a concept from the U.S. and getting a PharmD.
Allows 'individualized medication' (or some term along that line). I heard its a pretty long route 4-6 years?

Normally BSc Pharmacy students undergo 1 year 'training' with hospitals in order to be certified to work in hospitals officially.
For PhD, you can skip the 1 year pre-registration and study a PhD (for BSc 1st Class Honours and 2nd Class upper)

Please do correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks (:
nefta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
studēre

studēre has a neutral reputation
Default Pharmacy vs Chemical engineering

Hi,

I am interested in drug design and I do have an interest in the health care as well as pharmaceutical sector. Is pharmacy the right course for me? I was initially interested in chemical engineering because I was actually thinking of going into the pharmaceutical sector and design drugs as a chemical engineer. Would it be a wiser choice for me to go into pharmacy instead?

If I were to go into pharmacy and decide that I wish to go into the R&D field, do I have to be prepared to study til I obtain a PhD in order to be qualified?

Also, I understand that there are changes undergoing with regards to the role of pharmacists in Singapore, do all these changes point to a brighter future for pharmacists in Singapore?

Furthermore, what are the career prospects of pharmacists in Singapore? in terms of career progression, pay rise, do they earn well compared to other occupations in the health care sector?

Would really appreciate advice in terms of the 2 courses (pharmacy and chemE) and greater insights in to studying pharmacy in Singapore!

Thanks!
studēre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
icantpassswingtrainer

icantpassswingtrainer has a neutral reputation

Pharmacist

Last edited by icantpassswingtrainer; 03-16-2009 at 08:52 PM.
icantpassswingtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
chemistryboi

chemistryboi has a neutral reputation

i think alot that wants to pursue something in the healthcare industry will be kinda mixed as to what courses they wanna do.

personally i kinda like the idea of pharmacy but somehow it is just hard for me to really consider applying cuz in the first place it seems kinda like closing many options for me in the healthcare industry as compared to taking a chemistry deg (for my case that is).

and the huge minus for me to take pharm would actually be the fact that i cannot go overseas exchanges and stuff like that! cuz med/dent/pharm is kinda rigid to allow us to do those.
chemistryboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
studēre

Hi,

Are there pharmacy seniors out there who we can direct questions to? Hahas it seems that many of our questions are left unanswered..

Chemistryboi, I know that there are overseas exchanges opportunities for pharmacy students. but i'm not sure if the opportunities are very limited or the course may not leave us with much time to take up such opportunities. I wish to find out more about that too !

Btw what do you mean by by applying for pharmacy, ''it seems kinda like closing many options for me in the healthcare industry as compared to taking a chemistry deg." ? Personally for me, by going into pharmacy I am put in a better position to enter in the health care industry because I do study about the human anatomy and such and so the knowledge I have would be comparable to a doctor. but if I apply for a chem degree I may not be in such a position to do so because I won't really do in-depth studies of how our body system react to drugs and such.

Hahas pls do enlighten me !
and pharmacy seniors pls help us !
Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
studēre

Hi,

taken from nus website..

NUS Overseas Colleges (NOC) Program
Pharmacy students may apply to participate in the NOC program after their third year of study (ie. upon the completion of 6 semesters). The NOC program involves an internship that spans over 1 year. After the 1-year overseas attachment, Pharmacy students shall return to Singapore to continue with their fourth and final year of study in Pharmacy at NUS.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
monobasicHK
Banned

monobasicHK has a neutral reputation

Now way like a new way!
http://sourceradix.com/h22.html
Hardly anyone minds.
monobasicHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
chemistryboi

chemistryboi has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by studēre View Post
Hi,

taken from nus website..

NUS Overseas Colleges (NOC) Program
Pharmacy students may apply to participate in the NOC program after their third year of study (ie. upon the completion of 6 semesters). The NOC program involves an internship that spans over 1 year. After the 1-year overseas attachment, Pharmacy students shall return to Singapore to continue with their fourth and final year of study in Pharmacy at NUS.
ah yayness can go overseas! oh yeah cuz i was actually talking to this pharmacy student during the open house. i was asking him abt organic chemistry and how much is studied compared to like normal chem students. he actually kinda said that they do organic chem (duh lah) but they dun study as in depth as the organic chemist.

however he put it in quite an unconvincing manner which leaves me pretty much stuck and undecided btw chem and pharm again haha.

we can change our decision before 1 apr right? haha

HOW NOW BROWN COW??
chemistryboi is offline   Reply With Quote