BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
saltsterlings

saltsterlings has a neutral reputation

HI, i received my offer from pharm sometime before end of march as well..congrats to those who was offered as well! they will send out offers soon to many..so dun worry=)
saltsterlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #22
sakura_gundams
Best Poster 2009

sakura_gundams has a neutral reputation
Default nus pharm senior

HI! im an NUS pharm yr 1 student. truthfully, pharmacy wasnt my first choice. but let me tell you this, i NEVER REGRETTED MY DECISION of JOINING PHARMACY. I was involved in the rag and flag last year and didn't sleep for 1 whole night helping with the float cos i WANTED US TO WIN. doesnt mean u didnt put pharmacy as your first choice means that u have no pride in it. it was because at that time, my idea of wat pharmacist do wasnt really clear until i got into the course itself. i LOVE the close camaraderie our society have. i have abt 120 plus classmates and im proud to say i rmb 90% of their names and faces. EVERYONE IS REALLY NICE in this course, even the professors. Of course, like any health care professional course, it is not easy to study. cos as we know that health is an impt issue and shld not be treated lightly. so U cannot expect to study something so simplistic cos what we do involve patients safety and health. Thus the pharmacy course is indeed intensive. EVERY HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL MUST UNDERGO INTENSIVE TRAINING EVEN BEFORE THEY WORK WITH PATIENTS

another thing abt being easy to get in. it is not that true. According to our head of department, pharm students are top 3% of the science cohort.
I have friends who have straight As but refuse to join Med cos its just too troublesome to apply. NOT all pharm students are med or dentistry rejects. Due to our society's great efforts in informing the public abt the pharm profession, there is an increasing no. of students who put pharmacy as their
1st choice. So those who still have this perception that pharm students are med or dentistry rejects, u have not followed up the change that is occuring. according to MOH, there is a shortage of pharmacist. because of this shortage, almost everyone is definitely guaranteed a job. The bond part depends if u are under any scholarship. if not, then u r not bonded. Wat i mean by a guaranteed job is that demand for pharmacists exceed its supply. so by the time they reach their final years, a lot of potential employers have already wanted to employ them. But they dun have bonds cos these employers did not sponsor them or sumtimg like tt...do u get it? just like a scholarship, if u have one, then of course u need to repay them by being bonded..if its just employers wanting to employ, then i dun see any logic in the bonding part?

And if we are ranked 12th in the world according to the statistics given, then arent we quite good? if u are rich and can afford to go to a better pharmacy course overseas, then be my guest.

Pharmacists are involved in ensuring the safety and effectiveness of the drugs and also help prevent drug related problems. We do not only work behind the counters, WE ALSO DO WARD ROUNDS. We also counsel patients on proper medication use. We also compound pharmaceutical drugs if need be. We have specializations such as oncology, infectious disease etc etc( go find out) In some cases whereby patients have a lot of complications, we have to prepare the medication in accordance to what the patient need. we are also involved in updating the drug formulary in the hospital and ensure that new drugs included in the formulary in the hospital have information that are readily accessible by other health care professionals. when there are cases for adverse drug reactions, for example, drugs that are found to have some dangerous side effects etc. pharmacists would be there to compile info regarding this drug and inform the general public abt the drug and in some serious cases, call back patients who have access to the drug and take it back if it would harm patients' safety and send patient for follow up. We also help other health care professionals in ensuring that the drug given in the prescription is suitable for the patient in terms of dosing, contraindications, or allergies etc. Many adverse drug reactions have been prevented with the help of pharmacist. Because of these things we do, most things that are technical work would be given to the pharmacy technicians. Our edge is the skills we acquire during our studies. Our job involve a lot more thinking rather than technical stuff. There are also regulatory pharmacist working with HSA who would regulate the drugs(medicines) coming in to Singapore.

WE DO NOT ONLY WORK IN HOSPITALS, PPOLYCLINICS OR GUARDIAN WATSON WATSOEVA...WE ALSO HAVE A CAREER IN THE PHARMACEUTICAL AND ALSO OTHER INDUSTRIES. ITS BECAUSE OF OUR INTENSIVE TRAINING THAT PHARMACY STUDENTS ARE VERSATILE IN OTHER AREAS NOT REALTED TO PHARMACY TOO.

During one of my modules, i was able to interview a pharmacist working in the Pharmacy and therapeutics department(P&T) She said that a pharmacists work is exciting cos we are constantly moving around, seeing different things everyday. But the sad thing is that many people actually think that our work is less important than that of other health professionals.

REMEMBER THIS: EVERY HEALTH PROFESSIONAL ARE IMPORTANT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY ARE A DOC, A NURSE, A PHARMACIST ETC. cos ultimately, the only way to ensure that patients have the safe and most effective treatment is when all the health professional collaborate and work together. So those pple who thinks that there is a certain hierachy to the health professional, i would say that u SHOULD NOT EVEN BECOME ONE.

COS our ultimate aim is the well being of our patients. we are all patient centered. those who have this conception that a doctor is better than a pharmacist who is better than a nurse...then i feel sorry for u...even now, wat we are learning all boils down to PATIENT-ORIENTED CARE.

hope this helps...i get a bit passionate at times so pls understand if im a bit too bossy at times...i do not like people to have a misunderstanding abt pride as a pharmacist. COS I HAVE PRIDE even if i didnt put it as first choice. It all comes down to BEING PASSIONATE IN HELPING PEOPLE.

Last edited by sakura_gundams; 05-17-2009 at 12:26 AM.
sakura_gundams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #23
sakura_gundams
Best Poster 2009

Default ohbyea

oh yea..abt not being able to go on exchange programs...tt's not true too...i have a pharm senior going to bio valley for a year..but she has to stay back one yr of course..and we also have Pharmacy federation conferences which happens during the hols etc...we can still go overseas...

exchange is difficult cos not many countries have uni which have the similar structured course as ours...and also due to our very rigorous training

but then again the same goes for medicine, dentistry...logical?

Last edited by sakura_gundams; 05-17-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
sakura_gundams
Best Poster 2009

hi! actually to answer stud─ôre's qns tt u pm me..i dunno why i couldnt send it thru pm>< so sorry! so i'll post it here.

w regards to the nus faculty scholarship, did u apply for the global merit scholarship? cos if tt's true, the system works similar to that of psc scholarship, in the sense that if did not get psc, ur application will be sent to other scholarshiop boards most suitable for u. For ur case, that means u have gotten the faculty scholarship after they have considered u for the rest of the uni scholarship. but dun worry! i think getting a faculty scholarship is VERY good..cos its not easy to get NUS scholarships since its bond free.

w regards to MOH scholarship, i only suggest u take that up if u are really ok w working in a hospital. My frens who were moh scholars will be posted to hospitals for their bonds and one of them actually got IMH>< and she was not really tt happy w it.

but if u are still undecided as to wat u wanna do in the future, than i think the nus faculty scholarship is good for u cos no bond.

and yes, if u are not bonded in any scholarship tt requires u to work in a hospital, its really easy for u to go anywhere. some of our alumni forgo their 9 months preceptorship(tt means they did not get a pharmacy license) and was given a very good job at pharmaceutical industries.

in terms of salary, if u are talking abt the hospital setting, when u are still undergoing ur preceptorship to obtain a license, ur pay would be ard 1500+ but once u obtain license, ur pay increases to abt 2500++ and it would increase as u take up various positions in the hospital setting or if u specialize etc.

but if its working in the industry, of course the pay is higher depending on where u work. im not sure abt the salary guidelines, but i noe that the remuneration in pharmaceutical industries is very high there are also many job opportunities out there for pharmacist, not only in areas concerning pharmacy. There are alumni who go on becoming a pilot and they say that the pharmacy course actually makes it easier for them to become a pilot! hahax

and if u are interested in going on to do research or higher studies, u can do masters and phd. Or if u are interested in a career as a doctor cum researcher, duke NUS is open to u.

so ya, to sum up a pharmacy deg is not just a restricted professional deg, u can do anything w such deg cos pple noe that the skills u acquire can be applied anywhere but its not easy of course>< but its still very fun if u get involved in the pharmaceutical society which u are in by default..lol
hope to see ya in pharm camp
Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #25
Emma90

Emma90 has a neutral reputation
Default Typical pharmacy timetable

What's the usual timtable (school hours) for a pharmacy student?
Emma90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #26
sakura_gundams
Best Poster 2009

Default re emma

5 days week..timing depends on ur electives too...i had one day which i had to stay from 8am-8pm cos one of my mods is from6-8(not pharm mod)..but u'll prob have breaks in between so no worries...second sem was quite slack thou..but i tink after the first yr, it gets more packed...
Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #27
FeNiX

FeNiX has a neutral reputation

NUS has offered places for another batch of students. You can check at:

https://aces01.nus.edu.sg/uasonline/Login

You will need your Application Number and PIN. Yay, I have been offered a place in NUS Pharmacy.

Last edited by FeNiX; 05-06-2009 at 08:30 AM.
FeNiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #28
sakura_gundams
Best Poster 2009

Default nus pharm senior

@fenix
HEYA~! tt's great u coming for pharmacy camp? i will be there as a photographer...
Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #29
FeNiX

FeNiX has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura_gundams View Post
@fenix
HEYA~! tt's great u coming for pharmacy camp? i will be there as a photographer...
Hehe... Actually, I am still considering. I am more of an introvert type so never really fancied all the orientation stuff from the beginning. Haha... But what will there be in the Pharmacy Camp anyway?

Btw, do you have any information on KE7 Hall? I am thinking of staying there for my studies so need not spend so much time travelling everyday, but I am not sure if it is easy to cope with the Hall points system (which I believe means I have to be active in numerous CCAs) and the rigorous Pharmacy course. Is the course really rigorous anyway? I have the impression that Pharmacy students have to memorise tons of stuff.

Thanks for any information in advance.
FeNiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #30
qwerty

qwerty has a neutral reputation

hi! for the ppl who got into pharmacy so far, is it convenient to reveal your grades? thanks!
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote