BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default Things You Should Know BEFORE Applying To NUS Dentistry

The Requirements

1. AAA/A according to NUS IGP. There are 48 places per year and it is the most oversubscribed course in NUS – it is competitive

2. Manual Dexterity Test

This test consists of 3 parts as of 2007. The first part requires you to bend a piece of wire into a given shape (the shape is quite complicated). In the second part, you are give a huge model of a tooth, and some plasticine, and required to mould the plasticine to the shape of the tooth, making it as similar as possible. The third part involves carving a piece of soap according to given dimensions. Total time given for the 3 tests: 3 hours

3. Interview

Three interviewers will be interviewing you. It is a grilling session that will test your personality, character and abilities. Academics-wise, you have already cut it once you are short listed for the interview. They throw your results aside during the interview. Also, I wasn't asked any questions relating to Dentistry, which was surprising

4. Health Requirements

All prospective Dentistry/Medicine/Nursing students must furnish evidence of immunity to Hepatitis B and Chicken Pox. You need to do a blood test and if you are totally not immune, or not immune enough, you will need to take vaccinations. Screening will be done prior to admission, but it is advised that you ascertain your Hepatitis B status as early as possible. The vaccination process takes 6 months and after vaccination, and you still do not respond and produce antibodies, you will not be allowed to continue your studies.

5. School fees/Intake

Intake: 54 per year

SGD 24,200 per year for Singapore Citizens (AY2014/2015)

The Good

1. You will have a group of classmates that you stick with for 4 years and become close to them.

2. Each student will have a line of seniors who pass down books, notes and everything important – you do not need to buy textbooks beforehand

3. Students do not participate in NUS’ Module Bidding War – we have our own fixed modules allocated to us, and we do not have time to fit in any elective modules.

4. CAP (Cumulative Average Point) is not important, unlike all other faculties. You graduate with an honours (no class), or no honours (this is the norm)

The Good or Not, depends on yourself

1. Students do not have the 3-month holiday in May, June and July. There are holidays only in April (3 weeks), June (minus orientation, 2 weeks), December (4 weeks)

2. Students have minimal interaction with students of other faculties – lectures (with the exception of physiology) are held in seminar rooms and not shared with other faculties

3. Students cannot take any electives, however much they are interested because there is simply no time to fit them in

4. Students cannot enrol in the University Scholar’s Programme (USP) and Student Exchange Programme (SEP) again, because of time constraints – there are SEPs organized by the faculty itself but only for short periods each time

5. Students have to wear formal clothes to school when there are dental lessons – which are almost every day. Males have to wear short/long sleeved collared shirts, pants and dress shoes. Ladies are required usually to wear skirts below knee length and covered shoes. There is no room for argument around this. Days where you can wear jeans, shorts and slippers are few and far between.

6. Lessons start at 8am and end at 5pm, with one or two 1-hr breaks in between and days sometimes end earlier for Year 1s. Year 2s usually have lesser breaks, and hardly any days where they end earlier. Year 3s and 4s end even later due to clinics.

7. Students follow the faculty’s timetable instead of the university’s. We have exams when others are having holidays, and vice versa

8. Final exams at the end of each year will test all the contents covered for each module throughout the entire year, unlike other faculties where you clear a certain number of modules per semester.

9. In Year 3 and 4, you have to find your own patients to treat and pass the tests, if not you can forget about graduating

10. Students have the same lab partner for 4 years, including clinical years. You have to learn to deal with him/her and establish a sound relationship

11. Dental school is tough, you need more than money for motivation

Upon Graduation

1. 4-year bond with MOH, starting pay at SGD 4,400 (with NS)

2. You will be serving the bond in hospitals, polyclinics and the army

3. Breaking of the bond will result in liquidated damages amounting to > SGD 350,000

You have been advised/warned, so do not complain/whine if you get in.

This thread is strictly for reading only. If there are any questions, please kindly post them here

To the seniors, please PM me if you think there is any part that should be changed.

Credits: edkieu, the_oracle, Ashearo

What I say is my OWN opinion

Last edited by Ashearo; 06-28-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Ashearo

Updated starting pay

Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Ashearo

Updated course fees

Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Ashearo

Updated course fees, intake, and minor details with regards to MDT.

Closed Thread