BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
medhow

medhow has a neutral reputation

sorry, borrow this thread.. quick qn, which uni among these few are best for medicine and why-- UCL, Kings, Edinburgh, Oxford, Imperial..

I heard Edinburgh is comparable with Oxbridge true? and i also heard that UCL and Imperial are as difficult to get into as oxbridge?
medhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #12
Oracle_163

Oracle_163 has a neutral reputation

Interview-wise, Oxbridge is extremely extremely difficult compared to the rest. Unlike the others mentioned, they ask academic questions in addition to the usual, which means that you have to prepare academically for the interview as well as read through your PS, etc.

I got slaughtered at Oxbridge interviews personal experience.
Oracle_163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
Basmoth

Basmoth has a neutral reputation

They're all GMC accredited courses so there really isn't one that's best as there's no discrimination on where you graduated from when applying for Foundation Training.

Much more importantly, your decision should consider medical schools whose teaching styles (PBL or lecture based) will likely suit you best and that are located in parts of the UK that you'll want to spend the next 5 to 7 years of your life in.

The 2010 admission statistics for the various medical schools can be found at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1387408. I would recommend browsing through the various threads on TSR as they provide a lot of useful information.

However, if prestige is still of importance to you, you might wish to peruse these ranking tables:

1) http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...guide-medicine
2) http://www.university-list.net/uk/rank/univ-10161.html

Do keep in mind that these rankings aren't entirely representative of teaching quality and that PBL-based schools tend to receive lower satisfaction ratings.

Anyway, happy hunting!

Last edited by Basmoth; 03-06-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Basmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
xeneraov

xeneraov has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhow View Post
sorry, borrow this thread.. quick qn, which uni among these few are best for medicine and why-- UCL, Kings, Edinburgh, Oxford, Imperial..

I heard Edinburgh is comparable with Oxbridge true? and i also heard that UCL and Imperial are as difficult to get into as oxbridge?
I feel that in order of unpredictability of interviews (from personal experience) :

1. oxbridge
2. kings college london
3. ucl
4. imperial.

imperial has an online website with "possible interview questions" so check it out.

but maybe UCL interviewers were just cranky with me, cos online said its supposed to be rather smooth.

kings was somewhat like oxbridge. they drill and drill and drill into a tiny point, to see how you deal with stress/unfamiliar territory.
xeneraov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

different universities have different interview styles. UNSW was casual, so was Sheffield for me. Manchester was formal, as was NUS.
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
Bosty
Super Moderator

Bosty has a neutral reputation

TS, believe u shuld be under father-mother scholarship, but are u planning to take any financial loans?

Also, i got accepted in Manchester and Aberdeen. I try to ignore the league tables as much, but it bugs me PBL manchester has quite low satisfaction, and a large cohort (340 vs 189). Maybe integrated system would be safer... So hard to choose...
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
TS, believe u shuld be under father-mother scholarship, but are u planning to take any financial loans?

Also, i got accepted in Manchester and Aberdeen. I try to ignore the league tables as much, but it bugs me PBL manchester has quite low satisfaction, and a large cohort (340 vs 189). Maybe integrated system would be safer... So hard to choose...
Hi Bosty,

Congratulations on your offers.

Firstly, yes, I am going on a Father & mother scholarship, as you put it, but I have every intention of paying them back.

Secondly, it doesn't make any sense for you to take a loan when your parents have the money. Interest rates are about 5% p.a., compounded.

Choose whichever University suits your learning style. I didn't want PBL, but some people like PBL. So go according to your own style, ya.
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #18
Bosty
Super Moderator

Bosty has a neutral reputation

well, i pretty much decided already. Firmed aberdeen for many various reasons. Anybody interested or need help deciding between medical schools can PM me
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
cardio

cardio has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basmoth View Post
They're all GMC accredited courses so there really isn't one that's best as there's no discrimination on where you graduated from when applying for Foundation Training.

Much more importantly, your decision should consider medical schools whose teaching styles (PBL or lecture based) will likely suit you best and that are located in parts of the UK that you'll want to spend the next 5 to 7 years of your life in.

The 2010 admission statistics for the various medical schools can be found at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1387408. I would recommend browsing through the various threads on TSR as they provide a lot of useful information.

However, if prestige is still of importance to you, you might wish to peruse these ranking tables:

1) http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...guide-medicine
2) http://www.university-list.net/uk/rank/univ-10161.html

Do keep in mind that these rankings aren't entirely representative of teaching quality and that PBL-based schools tend to receive lower satisfaction ratings.

Anyway, happy hunting!
was browsing through this thread when I came across these. the rankings here are pretty outdated, so here's an updated list!

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ngs?s=Medicine

its the latest that I know of so far. Hopefully it helps in choosing your med schools for those who are planning in studying in the UK! But do keep in mind that rankings are not everything and they often fluctuate. Furthermore, if you look at the overall score, the difference between schools are minimal so theyre all actually very good.

No government in the right mind will allow the standards of medical school to suffer as they produce doctors for their citizens. (: Good luck on making your decisions guys. If anyone of you needs help you can always pm me.
cardio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
kannan

kannan has a neutral reputation
Default Clarification

Hey, I am currently an A lvl student, graduating this yr. Read that the UKCAT score only counts for the year in which u apply for. Is this true? Does this mean i have to take UKCAT again next yr(have to enlist in the army)? So that with the 1 yr deferred entry i can enter uni at 2014 if i apply in 2012? My sch made me hand in the applications and asked me to do whatever was listed on the school's website, so i took the UKCAT. But i read the uni's usually dont hold ur places for 2 yrs...so then how does the whole thing work? Must i rewrite the UKCAT? When will i be given the offer letter(if i am conditionally accepted...but rather unlikely)?

The info would really help.

P.S. Got a low UKCAT score...only 625 avg...so actually I think it would be better to retake...

Last edited by kannan; 08-29-2011 at 11:25 PM.
kannan is offline   Reply With Quote