BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #21
Bosty
Super Moderator

Bosty has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan View Post
Hey, I am currently an A lvl student, graduating this yr. Read that the UKCAT score only counts for the year in which u apply for. Is this true? Does this mean i have to take UKCAT again next yr(have to enlist in the army)? So that with the 1 yr deferred entry i can enter uni at 2014 if i apply in 2012? My sch made me hand in the applications and asked me to do whatever was listed on the school's website, so i took the UKCAT. But i read the uni's usually dont hold ur places for 2 yrs...so then how does the whole thing work? Must i rewrite the UKCAT? When will i be given the offer letter(if i am conditionally accepted...but rather unlikely)?

The info would really help.

P.S. Got a low UKCAT score...only 625 avg...so actually I think it would be better to retake...
UKCAT is applicable only for that year. So u gotta retake. Nvr heard of Unis giving more than a year for gap year. Most of us guys apply during our first year of NS.
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
kannan

kannan has a neutral reputation

Thnks. I spoke to my teachers, they said there was a chance that uni's will hold off for two yrs, but she said its gd to apply during this yr. This way, if u get accepted, it is quite likely that u will get accepted when u reapply next yr. Besides, it would look gd on your testimonial if u alrdy have been accepted once. Hwvr, should u not be accepted, she said it would serve as an indicator to choose a less popular uni...
kannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #23
Bosty
Super Moderator

Bosty has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Thnks. I spoke to my teachers, they said there was a chance that uni's will hold off for two yrs, but she said its gd to apply during this yr. This way, if u get accepted, it is quite likely that u will get accepted when u reapply next yr. Besides, it would look gd on your testimonial if u alrdy have been accepted once. Hwvr, should u not be accepted, she said it would serve as an indicator to choose a less popular uni...
O.o i deeply suggest u to email the university's admission office and ask that. I know most uni's don't accept reapplicants. Well, but that's for ppl who don't get accepted. And it is really an ASS having to go through the whole application process again (ie. UKCAT, PS, referral letter). I had friend who thought likewise, ended accepting the uni's that offered him.
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #24
kannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
O.o i deeply suggest u to email the university's admission office and ask that. I know most uni's don't accept reapplicants. Well, but that's for ppl who don't get accepted. And it is really an ASS having to go through the whole application process again (ie. UKCAT, PS, referral letter). I had friend who thought likewise, ended accepting the uni's that offered him.
So then he skipped NS by paying bond? My parents aren't too well off, so that wont work...besides paying for the overseas stuff is alrdy exp without having to incur this additional exp. Assuming it costs 300k SGD for the whole course to be over, anyone have any idea how long it will take for us to pay back the loan? With and without interest rates?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
llamelvin

llamelvin has a neutral reputation

Quote:
So then he skipped NS by paying bond? My parents aren't too well off, so that wont work...besides paying for the overseas stuff is alrdy exp without having to incur this additional exp. Assuming it costs 300k SGD for the whole course to be over, anyone have any idea how long it will take for us to pay back the loan? With and without interest rates?
300k probably doesn't cover accommodation and living expenses. How long it takes to repay depends on the type of loan taken, amount, as well as how much you earn in the future.

It is possible for a university to offer 2 years deferred entry, however it is rare. It is best to check with the universities you are interested in whether they would accept your reapplication the next year assuming you do get in but are unable to accept due to being offered only 1 year deferred entry, or if you were unsuccessful in your application. Take note some don't even give deferred entry for international students (such as Edinburgh).

Anyway.. currently in first year of NS. UKCAT score of 727.5, which qualifies me for most unis I guess. A levels were very decent too. However my IP results are quite crappy tbh. Even though it is not reflected in UCAS, worried that it will affect my application since the unis all have very high GCSE requirements. Dilemma indeed which unis to apply.
llamelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #26
metastasis

metastasis has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamelvin View Post
300k probably doesn't cover accommodation and living expenses. How long it takes to repay depends on the type of loan taken, amount, as well as how much you earn in the future.

It is possible for a university to offer 2 years deferred entry, however it is rare. It is best to check with the universities you are interested in whether they would accept your reapplication the next year assuming you do get in but are unable to accept due to being offered only 1 year deferred entry, or if you were unsuccessful in your application. Take note some don't even give deferred entry for international students (such as Edinburgh).

Anyway.. currently in first year of NS. UKCAT score of 727.5, which qualifies me for most unis I guess. A levels were very decent too. However my IP results are quite crappy tbh. Even though it is not reflected in UCAS, worried that it will affect my application since the unis all have very high GCSE requirements. Dilemma indeed which unis to apply.

Hi llamelvin again, I'm from thestudentroom forum too

Don't worry about the IP results I guess they aren't very important compared to A levels... Especially to schools like Aberdeen which do not look at GCSE results Just don't apply to Birmingham and Bristol.
metastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #27
kannan

Default Deferment of NS

Hi all,

Was just wondering, deferment of NS is granted to only local med sch right... So its only YLLSoM and the NTU one when it opens right? If we are going to a overseas sch to study medicine, we must complete NS first and then go right? Or can we still apply to defer and then they will consider your application?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Hi all,

Was just wondering, deferment of NS is granted to only local med sch right... So its only YLLSoM and the NTU one when it opens right? If we are going to a overseas sch to study medicine, we must complete NS first and then go right? Or can we still apply to defer and then they will consider your application?
At the moment, only for NUS. When the one at NTU opens, probably the same. But maybe when the one at NTU opens, not everyone gets to defer anymore because there will be so many of them?

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #29
kannan

Thnks for the info. Another qn, the NTU one will not have a dental school as well right?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #30
sowongina

sowongina has a neutral reputation
Smile Tariff Score..?

Hello, thank you for the informative post there

I'll be JC2 in 2012, and I'm rather puzzled about how Sg-Cambridge A level will fare against various A level in UK by all the exam boards.

Especially now, given that there's A* in UK.
But the highest grade we can get in SG is A, right?

So won't that disadvantage us? Cos what I understand is that whether you're successfully admitted to uni is usually determined by whether or not you meet the UCAS tariff score. (the website below)
(http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/gcea)

So the gist of it is, how do I calculate my tariff score &
which exam type should I be looking at?

There are:
GCE & AVCE Double Award,
A level with additional AS (9 units),
GCE A level and AVCE,
GCE AS Double Award,
GCE AS& AS VCE.

For example, Cambridge's UCAS Tariff score for 2011 is 577.
Assuming I'm taking GCE A level, and that I get 4H2 As,
It'll be 4 x 120= 480, way below 577.
But there are surely students from Sg getting into cambridge?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
sowongina is offline   Reply With Quote