BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
eho

eho has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by euporie View Post
How much would be living expenses (including accomodation) be in London for 1 month? Basically including everything that we have to spend aside from the compulsory tution fees?

Heard tution fees are rising (by a great deal) next year
Scholarships typically provide a monthly allowance of around 1000 pounds so I guess that can be a rough gauge.
eho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
eastereggs

eastereggs has a neutral reputation

hi i would like to ask how about law in the uk? how much would it cost generally? for the 3 years in total (inclusive of accommodation and expenses as well). probably not looking at london due to the high cost, maybe bristol, exeter, birmingham, manchester, durham?
eastereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
MementoM0ri

MementoM0ri has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastereggs View Post
hi i would like to ask how about law in the uk? how much would it cost generally? for the 3 years in total (inclusive of accommodation and expenses as well). probably not looking at london due to the high cost, maybe bristol, exeter, birmingham, manchester, durham?
around 150 SGD
MementoM0ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
ahkaiz

ahkaiz has a neutral reputation
Default Decision making for uk uni

Hi! I'm given a few conditional/unconditional offer from uk uni. Is it that I have to pay for the sch fees once I accept the offer from the ucas application?
ahkaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
SCSC

SCSC has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkaiz View Post
Hi! I'm given a few conditional/unconditional offer from uk uni. Is it that I have to pay for the sch fees once I accept the offer from the ucas application?
The UK system differs from that of the Aussie's. You needn't pay upon acceptance. The payment will come when you register with your choice uni. There are tuition, accomodation, internet and other payment to be made in the registration process. Most universities will allow instalments for tuition fees and accomodation.

Do not need to worry, you will be informed at every step.
SCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
ahkaiz

ahkaiz has a neutral reputation

Thanks SCSC! =)
ahkaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
geraldto

geraldto has a neutral reputation

If you're going to do law in universities other than oxbridge, school fees range from 10,000-13,000 pounds/year depending on which school you go to and whether there's scholarship or not.
For living, if you don't dine out often, you can keep monthly expenses below 300-450 pounds/month. For accommodation, expect to pay anything from 80-180 pounds per week for a room depending on where you stay. Further up North England, rent tends to get cheaper. It can get rather expensive in South England and London.
Is S$180K enough for three years? Definitely. If you provide things like insurance, a round trip air ticket, and misc items, you can still keep costs below S$40-50K a year, but that means you need to live simply and avoid unnecessary expenditure.
geraldto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
Isabella

Isabella has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldto View Post
If you're going to do law in universities other than oxbridge, school fees range from 10,000-13,000 pounds/year depending on which school you go to and whether there's scholarship or not.
For living, if you don't dine out often, you can keep monthly expenses below 300-450 pounds/month. For accommodation, expect to pay anything from 80-180 pounds per week for a room depending on where you stay. Further up North England, rent tends to get cheaper. It can get rather expensive in South England and London.
Is S$180K enough for three years? Definitely. If you provide things like insurance, a round trip air ticket, and misc items, you can still keep costs below S$40-50K a year, but that means you need to live simply and avoid unnecessary expenditure.
Thanks! What about the costs for Oxbridge? Is S$180K still sufficient for 3 years of study? Appreciate your input! Thanks so much!
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #19
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

oxford law starting in 2012/2013 would start from GBP$19.4k (tuition fees + college fees), living expenses for 9mth is ~gbp$10K. if U are starting 2013/2013 then expect ~sgd$195k
http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/search/launch/

cambridge is ~gbp$13k + gbp$5K (college fees), living gbp$8.5K or 9 mth.
its cheaper at ~sgd$180K
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ional/finance/

geraldto seem to missed out the college fees that oxbridge makes international students pay.
if U start later expect fees to go up by ~5% each yr.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
Isabella

Isabella has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
oxford law starting in 2012/2013 would start from GBP$19.4k (tuition fees + college fees), living expenses for 9mth is ~gbp$10K. if U are starting 2013/2013 then expect ~sgd$195k
http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/search/launch/

cambridge is ~gbp$13k + gbp$5K (college fees), living gbp$8.5K or 9 mth.
its cheaper at ~sgd$180K
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ional/finance/

geraldto seem to missed out the college fees that oxbridge makes international students pay.
if U start later expect fees to go up by ~5% each yr.
Thanks a bunch!! For oxbridge, are the tuition fees fixed over the 3 years i.e. locked in from the 1st year? Or can the universities increase the tuition fees every year over the 3 years? Many Thanks!!!
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote