BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Faculty of Dentistry - Post Questions and Discussions here

This thread is strictly for questions.

Please read Things You Should Know BEFORE Applying To NUS Dentistry first.

Last edited by Ashearo; 03-22-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
sweetto_oth

sweetto_oth has a neutral reputation

Is it wise to apply for med with AAA B3 Project work: Band 3? Or will it be easier to get shortlisted for dentistry with those grades? And I've a pretty decent CCA record too.
sweetto_oth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 AM   #3
whirl

whirl has a neutral reputation
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetto_oth View Post
Is it wise to apply for med with AAA B3 Project work: Band 3? Or will it be easier to get shortlisted for dentistry with those grades? And I've a pretty decent CCA record too.

Hello, I would like to have more information. Do you have any S Papers, and if you have, what are your grades? Do you also have any local Olympiad medals, or international olympiad experience? From what you described, you would most probably not get shortlisted for NUS Medicine, but may be shortlisted by Dentistry. CCA records does not really matter, unless under discretionary admissions, which is usually, but not limited to international sports athletes, those of high leadership potential, or an exceptional talent.
whirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Ashearo

I scored AAA and A2 for GP. I took S papers but both were ungraded cos i left halfway through both papers when i got too bored and was no longer in the mood to do the papers. I got band 1 for project work. I was shortlisted for med interview as well. What they want to see is how you handle yourself during the interview
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
sweetto_oth

sweetto_oth has a neutral reputation

Ahh okay. Thanks for sharing. I'm really more passionate about Dentistry than Medicine because of many personal reasons, hope it's not too strange to rank Dentistry over Med when it comes to ranking my choices :P
sweetto_oth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
Ashearo

Its not strange at all. Frankly speaking I prefer Dentistry to Medicine. I guess Dentists won't get so emotional compared to medical Docs cos Dentist's patients leave the room smiling more often than not, and they hardly die due to dental issues :P
Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
whirl

whirl has a neutral reputation

Dentistry and medicine are among the most selective for admissions. Neither of them is easy to get in.

Statistically speaking, dentistry accepts 43 (if i am not wrong) out of 300 shortlisted. While medicine would accept over 200 out of 500 or so shortlisted. So in that sense, medicine have a higher chance to get in, that is IF you are shortlisted.

However, to get shortlisted for dentistry is a bit easier than getting shortlisted for medicine. Although the criteria can vary slightly from year to year, dentistry requires at least 3 As and General Paper grade of B3. For medicine, they MAY look at your 4th A Level grade, and the General Paper usually MUST be an A, perferably an A1.

However, if you are shortlisted, the rest depends on your interview and your resume. You have to convince them you have the passion for the practice. They WILL look at what you have done to show that you have the passion. Have you done attachment in hospitals or in dental clinics? If you have been busy in JC, post-A level is a good time to get such job opportunities. That worked very well for me. (=

And a bit of advice. Some people made a mistake of considering dentistry as "backup" if they should get rejected for medicine. They put dentistry as their second choice behind medicine, and during the interview they get grilled. Be prepared should you do the same, or put such interview-required courses (incl. law) as second choices.
whirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Ashearo

GP requirement to get shortlisted for both med and dentistry isnt so strict. I saw a few people with GP B3 during the medicine essay writing, and also during the manual dexterity test. I'd say be more fearful of what comes after the shortlisting.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
min

min has a neutral reputation

Is it possible to do dentistry in Singapore after gotten a BSc from nus, cos I understand that nus dentistry only accepts A levels people. What about countries like Australia? Thanks in advance!
min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
Ashearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by min View Post
Is it possible to do dentistry in Singapore after gotten a BSc from nus, cos I understand that nus dentistry only accepts A levels people. What about countries like Australia? Thanks in advance!
I think yes and you will apply under another category. I am not sure about the other countries though.