BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS > Health Sciences (Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing)
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
min
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
min has a neutral reputation
Default

Oic thanks! Basically there's 2 routes for me now, either I apply for nus dentistry during my year 3, sem 2 but I will most likely be the oldest in class, or I continue with my BSc honours if possible, and apply to australia dental school at graduate level, but it consists of an entrance exam and an interview, which I'm not very sure whether can these be taken in Singapore and competition is pretty tough I suppose, and by the time I graduate, I would be 28? Plus the school fees will be at least $200000 for the entire 4 years course, no joke.

Last edited by min; 02-26-2008 at 10:44 PM.
min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Ashearo
Moderator
 
Ashearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,718
Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by min View Post
Oic thanks! Basically there's 2 routes for me now, either I apply for nus dentistry during my year 3, sem 2 but I will most likely be the oldest in class, or I continue with my BSc honours if possible, and apply to australia dental school at graduate level, but it consists of an entrance exam and an interview, which I'm not very sure whether can these be taken in Singapore and competition is pretty tough I suppose, and by the time I graduate, I would be 28? Plus the school fees will be at least $200000 for the entire 4 years course, no joke.
Have you applied for NUS Dentistry before? If you haven't, then you have one shot at it. Make sure you do well for interview and test if you get shortlisted because you only get one try. Why are you thinking of changing courses when you are already in year 3? Studying Dentistry overseas is likely to be equivalent to studying Medicine price wise. I don't think a 4 year cost will cost only 200k. And you have to add in expenses and etc. I think you should just finish your BSc first since you are almost done with it.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
min
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
min has a neutral reputation
Default

No, i havent apply yet, im still in my year 2. am having second thoughts about what im doing, cos for my course, unless you study until masters or phd, there's nothing much you can do, and more likely you will be stuck in the lab. im interested in dentistry and also because of my personal experiences with them. yup i will finish my BSc first, but Cat E application is in feb, im not sure whether to apply after i graduate, or during my last sem. yup, 4 years dentistry in australia is at least $200k, and i heard that the entrance exam is pretty hard.
min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #14
goodboy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17
goodboy has a neutral reputation
Default Do I stand a chance in Dentistry?

hi, i just got my A level results. I got 3 H2 As but H1 C and GP E. Im want to go into Dentistry very much. But i heard that the bare min grade for GP i s B. I got a 'E' for GP. Shd apply? do i even have a chance? Pls reply. Thanks. =/
goodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
FaiRez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
FaiRez has a neutral reputation
Default Any suggestions?

Does anybody know of any universities in the US, Australia, and UK that offer Dentistry degrees that are recognised by the S'pore government?

Hope to get an answer, thanks.
FaiRez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #16
Ashearo
Moderator
 
Ashearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,718
Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default

@Goodboy

To be honest, your chances to get shortlisted is very low. Yes minimum for GP must be a B.

@Fairez

The list of recognised dental degrees can be found from the Singapore Dental Council website.

Follow this link
http://www.sdc.gov.sg/html/SDC_contact.html

However there was news from a few months ago where the papers say more dental degrees will be recognised so as to increase the no. of dentists in singapore.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
saltyeclipse
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
saltyeclipse has a neutral reputation
Default How should i prepare?

Hey, I assume that they look for our familiarity and suitability with the field to decide whether to select us but if they did not ask any questions related to dentistry during the interview, how do they judge us then?
For example, what questions do they ask and what are they looking for?

Btw, who do you suggest I go to or how should I should go about if I am interested in doing an internship after my A levels exams?

Also, when should I approach them? The earlier the better, before my As or after my As is fine too.

Thanks for your time, please reply! =)
saltyeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #18
Ashearo
Moderator
 
Ashearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,718
Ashearo has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyeclipse View Post
Hey, I assume that they look for our familiarity and suitability with the field to decide whether to select us but if they did not ask any questions related to dentistry during the interview, how do they judge us then?
For example, what questions do they ask and what are they looking for?

Btw, who do you suggest I go to or how should I should go about if I am interested in doing an internship after my A levels exams?

Also, when should I approach them? The earlier the better, before my As or after my As is fine too.

Thanks for your time, please reply! =)
They didnt ask me any questions related to Dentistry. They ask questions like why did you choose Dentistry, and if it is not your first choice, they will ask why as well. They want to see how you answer it. I guess they can analyse your personality and character from the way you express yourselves and whether you are giving generic answers. Another thing i heard is that they choose only students with nice teeth (i cannot confirm this part but i think its really quite funny and ridiculous). Whatever it is, just be honest because if you hesitate with your answers, i guess they will know that its not true.

You should get your JC teachers to help you get an internship. Do the internship after your A levels, or during holidays. I didnt have any internships or attachments though.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
goodboy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17
goodboy has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
@Goodboy


@Fairez

The list of recognised dental degrees can be found from the Singapore Dental Council website.

Follow this link
http://www.sdc.gov.sg/html/SDC_contact.html

However there was news from a few months ago where the papers say more dental degrees will be recognised so as to increase the no. of dentists in singapore.

Thanks for these info, i will go look it up. =/
goodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #20
DAA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
DAA has a neutral reputation
Default

3As to even be considered? i got 2 H2 As, 1 H1 A. what are my chances frankly?
DAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.