BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
spencer

spencer has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
Easy to you.
University is a lot, a lot harder.
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #22
gaofu

gaofu has a neutral reputation

my...what an argument...
just wondering...what is A-levels to a uni student? isnt that just like comparing the intelligence of a monkey to a human?
if u really are looking to say something is easy...how about challenging your professors in a debate and winning...i think its a better indicator of your very high intelligence is it not?
oh...and i believe that a university undergrad or grad whatever should have better things to do than flaming others on a forum which is so much like cyberbullying
gaofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
Alex

Alex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer View Post
The Singapore A-levels is also very easy. You basically just need to study for the S-papers.
So outdated ain't you? Singapore has no S papers for a long time. I think you boss needs to review your knowledge base.
________
HONDA DN-01

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #24
Alex

Quote:
It has been over a year and Alex is still as naive as ever. Finished your A-levels yet?

NUS is very easy to get in, and I am saying it as a foreigner.

A friend of mine (also non-Singaporean but was staying in Singapore during that time) applied to NUS. Her grades were only so-so and yet was still given the university scholars programme (plus a double degree I think). She enrolled at NUS for a month before quiting and went onto Warwick to do Economics.
IITs and IIMs are very easy to get in, and I am saying it as a foreigner.

A friend of mine (also non-Indian but was staying in India during that time) applied to IITs and IIMs. Her grades were only so-so and yet was still given the IIT top scholars programme (plus a double degree I think). She enrolled at IIT/IIM for a month before quiting and went onto Warwick to do Economics.

(ps: without prove we can write anything to discredit something we are ignorant of, but my Indian cousins were laughing when I sent them your replies)
________
BONG

Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #25
Alex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCE_Advanced_Level

Universities in Britain have constantly complained that the increasing number of A grades awarded makes it hard to distinguish between students at the upper end of the ability spectrum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7174848.stm
Competition was "fierce" for places at top universities - with many candidates for courses such as medicine, English and law having three or four A grades at A-level.

Cambridge University, for example, advises pupils not take more than one of a list of 20 A-level subjects, including art and design, dance, film studies and media studies, as part of the three A-levels normally needed to obtain a place.

Applying with two of these A-levels "would not normally be considered to be acceptable", it says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4538127.stm

...what has been lost is the opportunity for the most able students to develop and demonstrate originality, creativity, insight, clarity of thought and analysis, extended arguments and problem-solving.

Also lost: the ability to differentiate the exceptional students from the good.

These are all things universities want from the qualifications, he says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3773047.stm

"It does mean that applicants must not be led to believe they have a 'right' to a place at any given university."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...grades-results

One in four A-levels taken this year was scored an A grade, according to record results published today as more than 300,000 students received their marks.
________
HANDJOB

Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
Alex

Quote:
University is a lot, a lot harder.
Of course. IIT and IIMs are crap and don't prepare you enough to Universities. Thank you for admitting.
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cells View Post
but i was rejected by all of the ntu courses which i've applied to. i appealed and all i got was 'it was too competitive.' my average score is 96%
I'm guessing you're an Indian national? From my experience, many Indian nationals studying in NTU score >96%, so 96% really isn't a very competitive score. To be honest, there are many singaporeans who are admitted into oxbridge but can't afford it, and so choose to stay in Singapore instead. So your case isn't all that special.

Quote:
in fact, there's another person who was rejected for law in nus but is studying law at cambridge. ironic much?
Is said person singaporean/PR or hold the singapore-gce A-level cert? because if the answer is no for both, then it is almost impossible for him/her to enter NUS law regardless of his/her grades.

The singapore universities have limited vacancies for law and since the universities are funded by taxpayer money, they have to prioritise Singaporean/PR students before international students. The same can be said for certain other courses like medicine, dentistry, pharmacy. Singapore universities have no obligation whatsoever to international students.

On the other hand, entry into UK universities for international students seems to have become easier (at least that's what I've heard) after they raised the tuition for local students. Fewer local students applying = more spaces for international students.

Ironic? Not really, if you understand the political and economic situation of both countries.

Last edited by PureFitness; 03-02-2012 at 09:51 AM.
PureFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
PureFitness

PureFitness has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Wow, you know of people who can't enter oxbridge simply because of financial situations? So they were rejected by all scholarship institutions?
Yeah, definitely. For scholarships, there's much more emphasis on non-academic and leadership achievements. Oxbridge (and UK schools in general) don't place that much emphasis on that.
PureFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #29
singapura

singapura has a neutral reputation

The issue is that the admissions staff in these local schs are just being S'porean, ie. by the book, ie. if the certs are not one of GCE a-lvls or IB, then it is unknown to them. Not many S'poreans have global experience to tell eg. what your certification actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youchih View Post
Maybe u should have taken 4 subjects instead of 3. Which board did you do? London or Cambridge Board?
singapura is offline   Reply With Quote