BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation
Default Recognised Overseas Law Degrees

I've seen quite a few people asking this, so please read this before posting.

Source: http://app2.mlaw.gov.sg/UsefulInfo/P...4/Default.aspx

Singapore
National University of Singapore
Singapore Management University

United Kingdom
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
University of Durham
University of Exeter
University of Leeds
University of Leicester
University of Liverpool
King’s College, London, University of London
London School of Economics and Political Science, University of London
Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London
School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
University College, University of London
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of Warwick

Australia
Australian National University
Flinders University
Monash University
Murdoch University
University of Melbourne
University of New South Wales
University of Queensland
University of Sydney
University of Tasmania
University of Western Australia

New Zealand
University of Auckland
Victoria University of Wellington

United States of America
Columbia University
Harvard University
New York University
University of Michigan

Certain law degrees from the following universities will also be recognised if you commenced the course of study leading to the degree before 1st January 1994:

Canada
Osgoode Hall, University of York
University of Toronto

Hong Kong
University of Hong Kong

Malaysia
University of Malaya

Note: Law may be an undergraduate or a postgraduate course, depending on the university.
Note2: This list only applies if you have read your degree as a full-time internal student for at least three years.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Keith23

Keith23 has a neutral reputation

Hi I have a question regarding which types of law degrees are recognized in Singapore. I understand that Dual degrees are not allowed. (Unless otherwise approved) However, are we Singaporean law students studying overseas allowed to do an overseas exchange back to Singapore?

For example, if I decide to study the 3 year Manchester Law Degree M100, and in my second year I opt for an overseas exchange with the National University of Singapore, will my degree still be recognized?

I am asking this because on the University of Queensland website, under the eligibility criteria for overseas exchange, it states that: "International students from Singapore undertaking a Bachelor of Laws degree are unable to participate in UQ Abroad due to the regulations set by the Board of Legal Education."

So I'm worried that my Manchester Law degree will not be recognized if I participate in the overseas exchange back to Singapore. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Keith23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith23 View Post
Hi I have a question regarding which types of law degrees are recognized in Singapore. I understand that Dual degrees are not allowed. (Unless otherwise approved) However, are we Singaporean law students studying overseas allowed to do an overseas exchange back to Singapore?

For example, if I decide to study the 3 year Manchester Law Degree M100, and in my second year I opt for an overseas exchange with the National University of Singapore, will my degree still be recognized?

I am asking this because on the University of Queensland website, under the eligibility criteria for overseas exchange, it states that: "International students from Singapore undertaking a Bachelor of Laws degree are unable to participate in UQ Abroad due to the regulations set by the Board of Legal Education."

So I'm worried that my Manchester Law degree will not be recognized if I participate in the overseas exchange back to Singapore. Can anyone clarify this for me?
You should clarify this with minlaw. Do not hesitate to drop them an email since this will affect your future. Anyways, I believe it really depends. There may be a chance that students in UQ that go on exchange to NUS miss out some modules that are NOT taught in NUS during their period of exchange AND is currently being taught in UQ at that time. Hence, they might miss some very critical mods that are essential to be considered as a 'qualified person' under the law. This will in turn, affect the quality of their degree and the knowledge they might have. So i guess this is probably one of the reasons why they are not allowed to go on exchange. The board of legal education is pretty strict...
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Linnette Jane

Linnette Jane has a neutral reputation

I am now looking for an overseas law school. Thanks for this list, this list will be my guide or choice. I am so interested in overseas law school.
Linnette Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
wolverinoX24

wolverinoX24 has a neutral reputation
Default Review of approved law degrees?

Hey all, wondering if anyone has any views of the supposed new review of approved overseas law degree thing that is to be headed by the Singapore Institute of Legal Education? The article is from the Straits Times I believe.
wolverinoX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
nady_reply

nady_reply has a neutral reputation
Default 8 uk unis removed from singapore's approved uni list

SINGAPORE — Nearly half of the approved UK law schools will be taken off the list of approved foreign universities recognised for admission to the Singapore Bar, after a review by the Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE).

There are currently 19 UK universities on the list of Overseas Scheduled Universities (OSU), but SILE recommended cutting the list down to 11. The Ministry of Law (MinLaw) has accepted the recommendation and will implement it for prospective intakes from Academic Year 2016/17 onwards.

The eight UK law schools taken off are: University of Exeter; University of Leeds; University of Leicester; University of Liverpool; School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London; University of Manchester; University of Sheffield; and University of Southampton.

In total, these eight universities accounted for 30 per cent (221 out of 729) of Singaporean graduates from UK law schools in the last three years.

In a press release today (Feb 24), MinLaw said: “In implementing the revised list, transitional provisions will be put in place to ensure that Singaporean citizens and permanent residents who have secured a place before the relevant cut-off date in any of the UK OSUs omitted from the list are not adversely affected by the change.”

The SILE review follows a recommendation by the Fourth Committee on the Supply of Lawyer in 2013, which noted the burgeoning numbers of Singaporeans heading to overseas law schools and then returning to practise here. The high-powered panel proposed that the list of approved UK law schools be “reviewed and updated to better reflect the current rankings of UK law schools”.

In August last year, Law Minister K Shanmugam also warned of a possible glut in lawyers here due to the spurt in the number of Singaporeans studying law overseas.

Although the number of recognised overseas universities has remained at 35 since 2006, the total number of Singaporeans reading law in the United Kingdom has more than doubled to 1,142 between 2010 and last year, based on the MinLaw’s estimates.

In addition, there were 386 Singaporeans pursuing a law degree in Australian universities last year. The UK and Australia are the main sources of returning law graduates.

http://m.todayonline.com/singapore/e...versities-list
nady_reply is offline   Reply With Quote