BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #41
geraldto

geraldto has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin View Post
hi, i got accepted unconditionally into exeter, leeds, liverpool and sheffield with grades of ABBB. I'm not sure about exeter though, but im inclined towards leeds..leeds look like a rather good uni..exeter n leeds are around the same in terms of law ranking in uk..

anyway, guys, can someone pls help me in answering my question: i know overseas law grads who return to singapore to practise have to do a conversion course, part A n B respectively. How long will both of these take before we actually get to practise in singapore?? one year? so it means 3+1years; we can practise in singapore after 4 years? wouldnt that be faster than local law grads?

(i tink i read about this somewhere? but i cant find it anymore..pls reply quickly thanks so much! need it urgently in making a decision too thanks.. )
Hey, I got Exeter, Leeds and Liverpool too. I've heard that Liverpool is a rougher town so I'm not accepting that. Between Exeter and Leeds, yeah on UK Law ranking charts, they are quite close. But Exeter is leading over Leeds by a few postions in most league tables. So which did you accept in the end? Cheers.
geraldto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #42
Liam18

Liam18 has a neutral reputation

Sorry to steal this topic here. Can i ask if Warwick's Law and Biz (MN11) is still acceptable if i opt for its 4 year course which grants a qualifying law degree? Cos joint degrees aren't generally recognised and i have been offered a place there. Very worried now.
Liam18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #43
Keith23

Keith23 has a neutral reputation

Hello all I am considering studying law overseas and coming back to practice in Singapore. May I know what are the job prospects for the following law degrees and how do they compare to local graduates in terms of employment rate and pay?

-Australian National University
-University of New South Wales
-Monash University
-University of Queensland

-University of Leeds
-University of Liverpool
-University of Leicester
-Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London
-University of Warwick

From what I understand so far from browsing the web, UK law degrees are generally more recognized in Singapore as compared to Australian law degrees? However the UK universities I am listing are not the "Upper-cut" universities so I'm wondering whether I will have trouble finding a job as a lawyer with these degrees.

Thank you for your time
Keith23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #44
Malefucius

Malefucius has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith23 View Post
Hello all I am considering studying law overseas and coming back to practice in Singapore. May I know what are the job prospects for the following law degrees and how do they compare to local graduates in terms of employment rate and pay?

-Australian National University
-University of New South Wales
-Monash University
-University of Queensland

-University of Leeds
-University of Liverpool
-University of Leicester
-Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London
-University of Warwick

From what I understand so far from browsing the web, UK law degrees are generally more recognized in Singapore as compared to Australian law degrees? However the UK universities I am listing are not the "Upper-cut" universities so I'm wondering whether I will have trouble finding a job as a lawyer with these degrees.

Thank you for your time
Trainees and starting associates across the board tend to get the same basic salary regardless of firm or uni degree. There might be some variations depending on size of firm etc but the variance isn't that much.

As long as your degree is admissible to the bar it doesn't make that much of a difference which degree is more or less recognized.

Law's a growth industry in SG now and as long as you don't miss the deadline there isn't much difficulty in finding a job. But things are hard to say especially 3/4 years down the road when you finally graduate because the state of the economy and the demand for legal services could change then.

You should decide which uni to go based on how much you think you're going to enjoy yourself there.
Malefucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #45
Keith23

Keith23 has a neutral reputation

Hi, so a Law degree from the University of Leeds (rank around 100) or from Australian National University (Rank 20+) would not make difference in terms of my employability in Singapore? What about in the international arena? ><

I am also wondering if the syllabus would make a difference as UK Law is more similar to Singapore Law as compared to Australian Law. Would this affect the ability to adapt to the Singapore Law?

Last edited by Keith23; 04-15-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Keith23 is offline   Reply With Quote