BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
Azizl

Azizl has a neutral reputation
Default NUS School of Design and Environment - Architecture

Hi,

I'm really interested to enter NUS Architecture. Quite alot of people say its hard to get in, especially my teachers.

May I know usually throughout the years what are the cutoff points for ranking opints or the grades?

Also, besides the grades, I also know there is this Aptitude Test and Interview for students who are already shortlisted. And a portfolio of past projects (e.g design, sketches, drawings etc.) will usually help in increasing the chance of being selected.

Question:
1) How do I prepare for the Aptitude Test? and does it test our ability to draw, our visualisation skills or our creativity in designing?(i.e. how unique your design is)

2) What do they really look for in the portfolio? Just some detailed drawings? Or actual projects?
(I used to be from robotics and I have some pictures and 'documentary' of my projects, mostly mechanical n DNT stuffs. I wonder if it helps...)

3) Any other tips to enhance our chances of getting in?

Thanks
Azizl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

I cannot provide any help because I did not apply for architecture, but from what my friends told me, the intake is about 80 per year (which makes it hard to get in) and it is a 6-year course leading to a masters degree because you need minimally a masters degree to practise in Singapore.

As for the cut off point, it is not very high since a lot of emphasis is made on your artistic abilities, which clearly cannot be seen from A levels.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
alahoma

alahoma has a neutral reputation

I also would love to know about the selection tests when applying to Architecture. I heard that the test is split into 3 sections: modelling, designing and appreciation but I'm not really sure how it will be done, on computer or on paper.
alahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashearo View Post
I cannot provide any help because I did not apply for architecture, but from what my friends told me, the intake is about 80 per year (which makes it hard to get in) and it is a 6-year course leading to a masters degree because you need minimally a masters degree to practise in Singapore.
hmm, isn't it a 5-year course, since it's 4 years for the BA in arch and 1 year for the MArch?
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Azizl

Azizl has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
hmm, isn't it a 5-year course, since it's 4 years for the BA in arch and 1 year for the MArch?
Ya. Its a 5 yr course. 4 yrs in BArch, 1 yr in March. But I know there are other related courses in SDE too. Like MAUD (Masters of Architecture in Urban Design) and BAID (Bachelor of Arts in Industrial Design)
Azizl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

My mistake, its 5 not 6 years.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
CrashCourse

CrashCourse has a neutral reputation

How about if you were from an offshore University? I've been in Melbourne Uni for a year, wondering how the credit exemption will be like.
CrashCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
callingmedog

callingmedog has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCourse View Post
How about if you were from an offshore University? I've been in Melbourne Uni for a year, wondering how the credit exemption will be like.
NUS is NOT at all generous with credit exemptions, especially from foreign universities.
callingmedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
CrashCourse

CrashCourse has a neutral reputation

hmmm, would it be possible to apply for the postgrad course in NUS with a foreign university's degree?
CrashCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
wicheania

wicheania has a neutral reputation

hey, anyone else got shortlisted for the test/interview for the 2009 batch? i just got the email last night & am at a loss of what to prepare D:
wicheania is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nus architecture sde