BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #21
Shaynikins

Shaynikins has a neutral reputation

USP is one of the reasons why I'm veering to NUS at this point of time. Liken to Ngee Ann Poly's Talent Development Programme (TDP), it would allow me to meet like minded individuals to discuss about current issues.

I say that if you get the chance to, jump for it.

As for the interviews, I dare say while academics probably helped in their selection to interview you but ultimately, someone who is more verbal and engaging is what they need. I guess stellar grades doesn't necessarily make you an opinionated person.
Shaynikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #22
hummingbird

hummingbird has a neutral reputation

Anyone knows if its okay to apply for NUS this year, and then USP next year?

Regards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaynikins View Post
USP is one of the reasons why I'm veering to NUS at this point of time. Liken to Ngee Ann Poly's Talent Development Programme (TDP), it would allow me to meet like minded individuals to discuss about current issues.

I say that if you get the chance to, jump for it.

As for the interviews, I dare say while academics probably helped in their selection to interview you but ultimately, someone who is more verbal and engaging is what they need. I guess stellar grades doesn't necessarily make you an opinionated person.
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
hannyboi

hannyboi has a neutral reputation

Yes you can apply to NUS this year, and reapply to USP and you are still eligible for a USP interview. However, if you have been to USP interviews before, subsequent reapplication will never grant you another interview.

For USP interviews, you have to show you are unique in a talent that can allow you to contribute to their programme. Basically they want people who are not just smart, but who can contribute in highest intellectual capacity to the programme.
hannyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #24
SacramentoConnoly

SacramentoConnoly has a neutral reputation

Has anyone been for the USP interview? I'm sure they'll ask you to elaborate on your essay etc and maybe some questions on current affairs...so what else do you think one needs to prepare?
SacramentoConnoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #25
redcurrant

redcurrant has a neutral reputation

i went for the interview. in fact they didn't ask me about my essay. they asked quite abit about current affairs though...the questions are quite diverse. i told them i was interested in chemistry and they asked me about whether i thought singapore was a capitalist society. left me stumped...
redcurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #26
born2bfree1984

born2bfree1984 has a neutral reputation
Wink usp essay ....

how about usp essays ??? anyone any ideas on where to start???
born2bfree1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #27
nefta

nefta has a neutral reputation

For the essay, I think its best to write on something that you are very familiar/ interested in. I wrote about stem cells.
Anw, to the ppl interviewed by USP... the interview panel don't really read your essay beforehand?
From what I heard from the panel who interviewed me, seems like quite a handul of Medicine hopefuls have been called for USP interviews!
nefta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #28
class10808

class10808 has a neutral reputation

I am supposed to go for their interview this coming thur. Got called on 2nd april... by the way, they asked me to bring my results slip, that means they don't know my results yet? Btw I wrote an essay on philosophy, about colour qualia. I blogged about it very long ago already so I just copied and paste... lol

Btw, do we really need to know a lot about current affairs? Or is it because some of the interviewers are students hence they ask weird questions for the fun of it?
class10808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #29
newtothis

newtothis has a neutral reputation

hey i applied in the last week of march but i haven't been called yet may i know when you applied?
newtothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
class10808

class10808 has a neutral reputation

I think I applied on around the 31st of March, 1 day before the previous dateline. But don't worry though, maybe theres just too many applications to handle?
class10808 is offline   Reply With Quote