BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Scholarships Application Process
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #21
icyjune

icyjune has a neutral reputation

Hi,

what do you guys think should be included in an essay that should cover these 3 questions

1) Your community/voluntary work
2) Personal Aspiration - what you intend to do after graduation and how are you going to achieve it
3) Career Aspiration

I find it exceptionally hard to write about my personal aspiration. i'm not sure what are they looking for. If i wanna pick up a language? Skill? what will you guys include?
icyjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Try writing your personal aspiration as this: where do you see yourself in five years? Ten? How would you be an inspiration to the people around you?

It looks quite guided; just answer the questions and try to make your essay flow.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
fauxfire

fauxfire has a neutral reputation

Hi all!

If i'm applying for a scholarship which wants me to describe an exceptional achievement that highlights academic interests and intellectual capacity. I'm a little confused over what they want out of me... What exactly do they mean by intellectual capacity? Is it IQ or something?

Also, over academic interests, say for example I wanna talk about my interest in the Life Sciences, but I don't have any notable events in my life that says i'm very interested in it. Will me taking up an internship or attachment give me a big boost in this aspect? Or is it unnecessary?

Been trying to work on this essay for quite long now, and i'm getting stuck time and again... Hope i can get some answers here
fauxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #24
Haecceity

I'm guessing by intellectual capacity, they want you to show you've been able to achieve something beyond your peers, preferably in an academic field (like: Bio Olympiad Medaller), and not something like: representing your school in another field, like CIP Award or something.

Yes, I would strongly suggest that you take up an internship or attachment, although it might not count as you showing that you are academic interested in it. That might depend on how you put it across though.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
fauxfire

Hmmn... Well at least that clears off some of the fog in my head. Thanks loads!

But i got a huge problem now... I don't really have a lot of notable achievements besides college-level awards and events besides leadership activities. In this situation, I don't think I have a lot to write about in the academic field and interests part... Is there any other way or things that I can write about to fulfil those two requirements? >.<
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #26
Haecceity

I think that would depend on the nature of your achievements. If you're top in the school for a subject related to your scholarship, then you can use that. Same thing goes for your leadership achievements.

It doesn't need to be school related as well, I think.

If you're applying for the scholarship next year, or if you still have time, I suggest that you go out and get something. But I do think it's how you slant it though - you might be able to make do with something not very exceptional, but well written.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #27
fauxfire

Hmmn okok... However, my achievements have almost little or no relation to my academic interests... But i'll try. Haha thanks loads!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #28
h1every01

h1every01 has a neutral reputation

I have the same question as that too. I was wondering that if I am to write too much for that, I may not have much left to say for the interview if I am shortlisted. Can anyone help answer my question? Thks.
h1every01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #29
jan

jan has a neutral reputation

hI i need urgent help with my psc essay the topic is Q3.What kind of Singapore would you like to see in 15 years’ time?

i would like to apply for teaching! i need help how do i stand out?? what should I include to get in??
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
SarahSchoenberg

SarahSchoenberg has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleofredwine View Post
Hi, what kind of personal information should we include in our application essay that will be relevant yet impressive?
Not necessary, but definitely a person who has a good story.
SarahSchoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
essay, scholarship application, scholarships