BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > NUS
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
wuen2001

wuen2001 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirl View Post
Dentistry and medicine are among the most selective for admissions. Neither of them is easy to get in.

Statistically speaking, dentistry accepts 43 (if i am not wrong) out of 300 shortlisted. While medicine would accept over 200 out of 500 or so shortlisted. So in that sense, medicine have a higher chance to get in, that is IF you are shortlisted.

However, to get shortlisted for dentistry is a bit easier than getting shortlisted for medicine. Although the criteria can vary slightly from year to year, dentistry requires at least 3 As and General Paper grade of B3. For medicine, they MAY look at your 4th A Level grade, and the General Paper usually MUST be an A, perferably an A1.

However, if you are shortlisted, the rest depends on your interview and your resume. You have to convince them you have the passion for the practice. They WILL look at what you have done to show that you have the passion. Have you done attachment in hospitals or in dental clinics? If you have been busy in JC, post-A level is a good time to get such job opportunities. That worked very well for me. (=

And a bit of advice. Some people made a mistake of considering dentistry as "backup" if they should get rejected for medicine. They put dentistry as their second choice behind medicine, and during the interview they get grilled. Be prepared should you do the same, or put such interview-required courses (incl. law) as second choices.

Btw, wht was your CCA? I am a bit curious
I don't agree, I have friends with 2S paper and A for GP failed to get in while a friend with 3A 1B (for biology) and B3 for gp (no s paper) gets into medicine. They're all international students. the mininum requirement is B3, my friend got C6 for GP and was shortlisted out.

In dentistry, it would be best if you can get a job working with dentist during the holiday (for girls) so you have something to say during the interview. That's what a dentist told me about his friends.
wuen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
wuen2001

wuen2001 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetto_oth View Post
Is it wise to apply for med with AAA B3 Project work: Band 3? Or will it be easier to get shortlisted for dentistry with those grades? And I've a pretty decent CCA record too.
For your case, due to the H3 system, your fourth subject is taken into account. I'm not sure how it works for you but if you're in my batch, you will be able to be shortlisted.
wuen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #23
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

I think in the new system, PW is still calculated into the entry score.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #24
sweetto_oth

sweetto_oth has a neutral reputation

I'm actually part of the old system. Anyway, Ashearo just wondering, did you get a job at dental clinic? And is it v impt?
sweetto_oth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #25
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetto_oth View Post
I'm actually part of the old system. Anyway, Ashearo just wondering, did you get a job at dental clinic? And is it v impt?
Nope I did not have any attachments. I do not think that it is necessary, but it is a good thing to have in your portfolio. Ultimately I believe that the interviewers rely more on their gut instincts and experience to analyse each applicant before they decide on admission.
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #26
kemise89

kemise89 has a neutral reputation
Hi, I'm awaiting for my A level results ( which will be out tomorrow ) but I'm actually pretty interested in the the Honors Program for Chemistry. Is it a good course compared to the Chemistry and Biological Chemistry in NTU?
Heard the some people regret after taking the Chemistry course=x
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #27
car_freak

car_freak has a neutral reputation
Send a message via MSN to car_freak

hi kemise89.

I guess it depends really on exactly what u want - and that will hence determine how 'good' you'll find the course is to be. If i'm not wrong, the course in NUS is not a 'direct honours' one whereas the NTU one is. Correct me if i'm wrong. NTU offers a more hands-on approach as with the other courses they offer - that's wat i gather from my peers.

All the best for your a-level results!
car_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #28
kemise89

kemise89 has a neutral reputation
Thanks lots for the reply=) However I don't know what is the difference between direct honors and not direct honors=x Anyone care to clarify?
Also, should distance play a big part in choosing my university choices?
kemise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #29
Wishful

Wishful has a neutral reputation

Hmm. PW is included in university score. But CCA is no longer

Anyways,

I have just got my 'A' level results and would like to ask about getting into NUS medicine.

While I have a good academic record, I do not have a substantial portfolio because I was not that active in my CCA in my JC days. Is it possible for me to apply next year instead using my 2007 GCE A Level results, using the extra time to build up a track record in community involvement and societal activities. Would I be disadvantaged in any sense?

Can anyone please help? Thanks!
Wishful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #30
kyrii

kyrii has a neutral reputation

from what i know, cca is secondary when it comes to applying for medicine. also, medicine results are very erratic. i have friends who got into cambridge medicine or imperial medicine but couldn't get into NUS medicine, and we'll never know why!!
if u take a gap year, u might be disadvantaged because the admissions board may regard you to be a little 'rustier' than the rest of the applicants who just graduated. i think that is part of the reason why medicine students are allowed to defer NS. but i am not very sure, it's just speculation.