BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation
Default Calendar for Applying to UK Universities

Calendar for Applying to UK:

August: Personal statement for UCAS (the UK central organisation through which applications are processed for entry to UK Universities) is due. This coincides with prelims so good time management will be necessary.

Late August/September: Oxford and Cambridge require you to take a written test after submitting your personal statement. You will receive a letter in the post telling you the date and time of your test.

September/October: Oxford and Cambridge require you to have an interview scheduled with a professor from the university and faculty that you applied to. The interview may coincide with the A-level examinations, but it is not recommended to change the interview date because this will likely result in logistical issues.

January: You get a letter from the University (in the mail, or online on the central UCAS database), telling you of your offer. This includes the A-level grades they require you to get in order to admit you. The requirement may range from AAA to AAB to EE (an unconditional offer).

March: You get your A-level grades. You fax the exam slip over to the university, and they’ll make you finalized offers over UCAS. You will have until mid June to accept or decline.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Run

Run has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haecceity View Post
January: You get a letter from the University (in the mail, or online on the central UCAS database), telling you of your offer. This includes the A-level grades they require you to get in order to admit you. The requirement may range from AAA to AAB to EE (an unconditional offer).
Actually, this varies from university to university. Not all universities give out decisions in January. Some might give them out a few weeks after you submit your application. I submitted my application in early November and got my first few decision letters in late November to December.

Also, some universities give out decisions much later (in March or April, some people even get theirs in May).
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
rui

rui has a neutral reputation

I didn't know we could fax our results over. Is this applicable to UCL?
rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui View Post
I didn't know we could fax our results over. Is this applicable to UCL?
Not sure about this year, but last year they required students to mail their documents over.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
ukstudy

ukstudy has a neutral reputation
Default Find out more

Speak to UCAS or talk to Uni Reps from the UK to find out more as courses and institutions have varied requirements,

UCAS and 40 other institutions will be at the British Council's Education Exhibition. www.educationuk.org.sg/exhibition2010 for the list of institutions.
ukstudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
rui

Lightbulb UCAS 2011 Has Opened!

Hi all

For those of you who are applying to UK universities for matriculation in AY2011 or AY2012, please note that UCAS 2011 has opened.
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK

Last edited by rui; 06-21-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
day_dreamer92

day_dreamer92 has a neutral reputation

Hi, I need some clarifications. Am I supposed to hand in personal statement in August, according to the calendar? Or is it suggesting that I should start writing the personal statement? And the personal statement is supposed to hand in with applications right? I am a little confused now.

Thanks
day_dreamer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Run

Your UCAS application (inclusive of the personal statement) is due by January next year, unless you're applying to Oxbridge.

What I say is reflective my own opinion, not that of the BrightSparks Administration nor that of other moderators. Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Local Moderator - Overseas: US
Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
rui

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_dreamer92 View Post
Hi, I need some clarifications. Am I supposed to hand in personal statement in August, according to the calendar? Or is it suggesting that I should start writing the personal statement? And the personal statement is supposed to hand in with applications right? I am a little confused now.

Thanks
Just to add on to Run's reply, you may wish to refer to this application process flowchart by UCAS.
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
day_dreamer92

day_dreamer92 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run View Post
Your UCAS application (inclusive of the personal statement) is due by January next year, unless you're applying to Oxbridge.

So the personal statement is not due in August? Thanks for answering!! I thought I was going to miss the uk application deadline.
day_dreamer92 is offline   Reply With Quote