BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > BrightSparks Community > Forum Issues
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Dancinginside

Dancinginside has a neutral reputation
Default Nus

Hello there! I am a J3 who is extremely interested in molecular biology and is planning to do a Life Science Degree in NUS. However, I have read up on the job prospects abt having a science degree in Singapore and apparently it is not good at all. Furthermore, people around are persuading NOT to do Life Science since it has 'no future'. I am willing and planning to do PhD in molecular biology after I graduate, but I just want to ask, if have a sci degree really 'useless' in Singapore and the most you can do is teaching?
Dancinginside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

'No future' is an extremely harsh term to use for these grads. Some of them really do make it. But to be safe, I think going for a PhD would be a wise choice if you take this route. I think research is quite a rewarding career. As to whether there is an abundance of biology related jobs here, I doubt it. You can check the graduate employment survey, the employment rate is quite low as compared to other courses.

A science degree is better suited for research IMO. Unless you major in physics or math. I think those two have more applications in military and finance. Biology has not much use in defence since biological weapons are banned. But there are no sanctions on laser death rays.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
Dancinginside

Thanks for the feedback! Do you think that it will be safer for me to get a scholarship with A*Star?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
havok_ex

havok_ex has a neutral reputation

Definitely safer in a sense that you secure a job before graduating. I have a friend who got an A*star scholarship to Oxford to study physics until the completion of his PhD. If A*star allows you to pursue your doctorate before serving your bond, it is even better. Then you'll get the option of going for your doctorate first instead of being forced to work first.
havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
Dancinginside

Thank you so much for the feedback! It really helps a lot in making the decision
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
VIPR

VIPR has a neutral reputation

food for thought...

http://forums.salary.sg/education-pe...ead-first.html
VIPR is offline   Reply With Quote