BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Scholarships > Government > Government Scholarships General Discussion
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
chickens

chickens has a neutral reputation
Default Some advice

Hi sorry for hijacking this thread(couldn't find anywhere else to post). Just want to give some advice to prospective scholars.

1) There is a perception that "economic" stat boards give the most "private sector" exposure and will help preserve "market value" much better for those thinking of jumping ship after their bond expires. Sorry, but this is untrue. The work these agencies do is VASTLY different from that of a private company. Working closely with private stakeholders/ having client contacts =/= private sector experience. Talk to your seniors (by seniors I mean those at least 8-10 years older than you)

A few years ago there was something called the Singapore Inc scholarship, which offered govt scholars in MTI the chance work in the private sector for 2 years. Guess what? It was quickly stopped due to the crazy bond-breaking rate. BTW it wasn't because they were "poached" or anything (no company does that anymore). It was just that a lot of scholars just realized that the govt has a very ... unique way of running things.

2) There is no such thing as a private scholarship. By scholarship I mean bonded and overseas. SIA, sembcorp, ST engineering, SPH – these are GLCs (quasi-governmental). If anything, they are run a lot more like ministries/stat boards than *true* private companies (eg Google, Apple, P&G, Shell). The arm of sg govt is very long. Talk to your older relatives. They will know.

Anyway my point is this: do not choose an agency based on how it is marketed, the kind of prospects they promise, or worst still, how prestigious is it to the layman. Fact: many of these so-called prestigious agencies produce the unhappiest scholars and most bond-breakers.

Using your scholarship agency as a "stepping stone" is not just morally suspect but also extremely stupid. The way I see it, short of breaking your bond midway, it's really not easy to make the switch to the private sector. Anyway, as a scholar you'll have very little control of your postings. So forget all the talk of "market value". It's irrelevant. What's far more important is whether you can see yourself committing to the organization for the long haul. Do you like the working environment/culture? Do you identify with its mission? Look at how your interviewers(who are probably senior management) conduct themselves – can you see yourself in their shoes? I guarantee you these are far more important questions to ask than "market value".

I hope someone found this helpful!
chickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
VIPR

VIPR has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickens View Post
1) There is a perception that "economic" stat boards give the most "private sector" exposure and will help preserve "market value" much better for those thinking of jumping ship after their bond expires.
None of my friends in these "economic" stat boards have successfully made the switch to private sector.
VIPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
kaifishcat

kaifishcat has a neutral reputation
Default Thanks

Thanks chickens for posting advice! I hope potential scholarship applicants read it. So many people apply for scholarships just to get a "free" education overseas. Unfortunately it is not really free. You pay with your time and energy during the best years of your life. Therefore, compatibility with the organisation is the most important factor to consider before taking a scholarship. (Sadly, I think most prospective applicants know this on a theoretical level, but until they experience the reality of working with the bonding organisation, it is hard to know whether or not one is really compatible with the organisation... but this should not prevent anyone from trying to find out more before taking scholarships.)
kaifishcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Jacks5451

Jacks5451 has a neutral reputation

Thanks for the informative advice chickens.It would be helpful for ones who keep on wasting there precious time of life for it only.
Jacks5451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
samuelstark2

samuelstark2 has a neutral reputation

Thanks for this infometry post it is highly recommended and very knowledgable post thanks for posting.

For more information Visit:
American Global University School of Medicine
samuelstark2 is offline   Reply With Quote