BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #1
teenagegranny

teenagegranny has a neutral reputation
Default NUS Transfer to US universities

Hi,

I am going to enter NUS FASS this year but am planning to transfer out of NUS if I am unable to cope. I am planning to enroll into a liberal arts college in the US (eg. Claremont Colleges). I did not get straight As for my A Levels and have very little extracurricular activities (only sports, community service). Hence, I was thinking whether it is better to apply as a freshman by taking a gap year and working on my extracurriculars (volunteer work, internships/work experience, learning a new language, finding my interest, etc)
OR
should I enroll into NUS FASS and work on my grades/extracurriculars and apply as a transfer student?

Cons for gap year: I would only enter as a freshman in 2017
Cons for NUS FASS transfer: uncertain that colleges/unis will have a spot, more competitive transferring as an international student, uncertain about performance in the first year of FASS.

The universities I am applying to are not only liberal arts colleges. I have also considered some universities in the US as well (UNC, Georgetown). Any advice?
teenagegranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

whats your stats for As and Os?

there are 5 colleges in Claremont.
the tuition for private LCA is extremely high at us$45k+ a yr today. add living and and Uni fees and insurance its us$65k-70k. for 2017 admission fees adjusted for inflation will be closer to 70k or more. I gather cost is not an issue.

the stats for Pitzer is kinda...
http://pitweb.pitzer.edu/admission/e...dmission-data/

UNC - Universities of North Carolina very low international students intake. maybe cap or just not many trying.
UNC transfer process is not for the faint of heart
http://advising.unc.edu/policies-and...ansfer-credit/

aiming on top uni, do your SAT and get extracurricular. active as a participant and not leading not much use.

transfer only apply when U have complete X US credits really depends on Uni, finishing 1sy yr at NUS FASS may not qualify u as transfer but freshman.

no one understands yourself better. if U can excel at NUS FASS and improve on extracurricular great. thats the best route.

take a gap yr, you might as well go to a community college in USA. work on grades and extracurricular and transfer. most ppl do very well in CC getting a perfect 4.0 isn't hard.

Last edited by patryn33; 07-22-2015 at 01:29 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
teenagegranny

teenagegranny has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryn33 View Post
whats your stats for As and Os?

there are 5 colleges in Claremont.
the tuition for private LCA is extremely high at us$45k+ a yr today. add living and and Uni fees and insurance its us$65k-70k. for 2017 admission fees adjusted for inflation will be closer to 70k or more. I gather cost is not an issue.

the stats for Pitzer is kinda...
http://pitweb.pitzer.edu/admission/e...dmission-data/

UNC - Universities of North Carolina very low international students intake. maybe cap or just not many trying.

aiming on top uni, do your SAT and get extracurricular. active as a participant and not leading not much use.

transfer only apply when U have complete X US credits really depends on Uni, finishing 1sy yr at NUS FASS may not qualify u as transfer but freshman.

no one understands yourself better. if U can excel at NUS FASS and improve on extracurricular great. thats the best route.

take a gap yr, you might as well go to a community college in USA. work on grades and extracurricular and transfer. most ppl do very well in CC getting a perfect 4.0 isn't hard.
Hi, I am not really comfortable with community colleges due to their culture but I would like to ask about state colleges and whether they are easier to get in?

Last edited by teenagegranny; 07-22-2015 at 02:09 AM.
teenagegranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenagegranny View Post
Hi, I didn't do O Levels but my A Levels are AAB/C. I am not really comfortable with community colleges due to their culture but I would like to ask about state colleges and whether they are easier to get in?
if u didn't do Os whats your sec school or similar results?
Uni application will ask U for that in general, it also depends on which system u from.

Arts and Social Sci very board, different Dept have very different admission criteria. hard to generalize. Econ vs History vs communication.

say UCLA Econ very hard to get in, but if U trying for say Asian religion easier.

not knowing SAT score, best try a couple say 5+ uni and choose base on which uni grant u admission

U can try the below Uni
- University of Michigan--Ann Arbor ===> most expensive public Uni iirc
- University of Wisconsin--Madison
- University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
- University of Florida
- Pennsylvania State University--University Park
- University of California--Irvine

===========
Uni that are safeties imho
- University of Minnesota--Twin Cities ==> maybe the cheapest
- University of Iowa
- Indiana University--Bloomington
- University of Massachusetts--Amherst

side note: U ditch NUS Biz for NUS FASS? looking at Econ major or still lost?

Last edited by patryn33; 07-22-2015 at 02:02 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote