BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Resurgency

Resurgency has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
yeah, i'm thinking of that too. also, if i work as an in house lawyer, i know i will definitely earn less, but is it true in house lawyers are less stressed? ( i mean it relatively)
I had a stint at a legal recruitment firm this holidays and had the privilege of gaining an insight to the local legal industry. Most lawyers want to move in house because of the better working hours so I think you can say that it might be less stressful.
Resurgency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
guy1234

guy1234 has a neutral reputation

Suppose you do study Law. Then will that limit your career in Law? Could you do, say, business?
guy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:15 AM   #13
cleanerdung

cleanerdung has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1234 View Post
Suppose you do study Law. Then will that limit your career in Law? Could you do, say, business?
Definitely. However if you are in a job which does not require legal background, many companies would not be able to match the salary which you could have been earning as a lawyer.

Also, do consider that it MIGHT be more difficult to maintain a good GPA in law, compared to the other faculties. Employers MAY prefer someone with a first class honours in business over someone with a 2.1 or 2.2 in law. I can't say for sure.
cleanerdung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
kraikk

kraikk has a neutral reputation

I note the many references to class rank - top 10%, 20% and so on. I understand that at NUS firsts are awarded to the top 5%, 2:1 to the next 50% or so, and 2:2 to everyone else.

Are there any other indicators of class rank provided upon graduation other than the actual letter grades in the transcript? Regarding the actual letter grades, is there a rough guide to the percentile cut off for each grade? After a year I still can't figure out the amazingly opaque grading system.
kraikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
koo86

koo86 has a neutral reputation

you can be a patent attorney ? or u can do something in Cyber Law or computer forensics. IT lawyer is another aspect to consider
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #16
justalking

justalking has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraikk View Post
I note the many references to class rank - top 10%, 20% and so on. I understand that at NUS firsts are awarded to the top 5%, 2:1 to the next 50% or so, and 2:2 to everyone else.

Are there any other indicators of class rank provided upon graduation other than the actual letter grades in the transcript? Regarding the actual letter grades, is there a rough guide to the percentile cut off for each grade? After a year I still can't figure out the amazingly opaque grading system.
top 5% - first class
top 10% - dean's list
top 55% - second upper
bottom 45% (w/o failing) - second lower

the average grades at NUS Law are between a B- to a B.
justalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
jen

jen has a neutral reputation

hello all! i'll also like to ask some questions here! since i'm also pretty much a lost ship.

what is the life of a law student after graduation? often, we look at many of the successful cases and say, you'll take xx years to go up and be a partner etc. but what about those who aren't so successful and achieved? what would they be doing?

also, what are the various routes a law student can take after graduation?
- law firm?
- company? or what else?

thankyou
jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen View Post
hello all! i'll also like to ask some questions here! since i'm also pretty much a lost ship.

what is the life of a law student after graduation? often, we look at many of the successful cases and say, you'll take xx years to go up and be a partner etc. but what about those who aren't so successful and achieved? what would they be doing?

also, what are the various routes a law student can take after graduation?
- law firm?
- company? or what else?

thankyou
Hi jen, your question has been answered before. I've moved it to the appropriate thread. Please post here if any of your questions remain unanswered.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #19
rashlyanicon

rashlyanicon has a neutral reputation
Default Senior counsel etc...

Been trying to do research on this but nothing turned out so far. Does anyone understand the role of a senior counsel and other like appointments in the Singapore context and what exactly it is they do? Are such lawyers then part of a firm and yet simultaneously part of the public sector?

Thanks.
rashlyanicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
kraikk

kraikk has a neutral reputation

SC is a title to recognise senior lawyers. They can come from anywhere: private practice, legal service, academia. So usually not part of the public sector although of late there are a number of career LSOs appointed SC. The title is by application, which is why some very senior lawyers are not SC.
kraikk is offline   Reply With Quote