BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
napoleon

napoleon has a neutral reputation
Default Practising as a foreign corporate lawyer in Singapore

I heard about a friend of a friend who has a law degree from the University of Washington who is apparently earning $18K in his first year working in corporate law here. I'm not exactly sure about the details, but apparently his hours are quite reasonable, certainly better than that of local lawyers and his work involves writing contracts for Asian companies who wish to work with US corporations. Does anyone know anything more about a similar career path or is he an outlier?
napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
savethewow

savethewow has a neutral reputation

Yes, it is true. Foreign law firms like norton rose, baker and mckenzie do pay that much.
But the work is not everyone's cup of tea. And entering one isn't as easy as local law firms.
savethewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
napoleon

What do you mean not everyone's cup of tea? My friend said the hours are quite good, the guy gets to go home at 6 most days. Unless you mean those people who really want to work on cases and go to court etc.

The main requirements are to have a US law degree and to speak an Asian language
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
savethewow

Quote:
Originally Posted by napoleon View Post
Unless you mean those people who really want to work on cases and go to court etc.
Isn't that what most people have in mind when they choose to read law?

Also remember that law is a post grad degree in US.

Last edited by savethewow; 12-31-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
napoleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethewow View Post
Isn't that what most people have in mind when they choose to read law?
LOL. Point taken. I personally think writing contracts and going home at regular hours is a damn good deal.

Quote:
Also remember that law is a post grad degree in US.
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe I should just go to the UK to do my undergraduate and apply to the US for law since it would be cheaper.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
savethewow

Quote:
LOL. Point taken. I personally think writing contracts and going home at regular hours is a damn deal
Easy for you to say now. Once you start the boredom might drive you out quickly.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
napoleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethewow View Post
Easy for you to say now. Once you start the boredom might drive you out quickly.
I did a short internship at a big local law firm before, I will take boring with good hours over working until the last train everyday.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe I should just go to the UK to do my undergraduate and apply to the US for law since it would be cheaper.
Most international students (law grad) end up doing the LLM program not the JD program, there is a limited quota on the JD. LLM is for ppl with foreign law degree.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
bestop

bestop has a neutral reputation

Are you currently looking for a permanent job offer in an international company in Singapore or want to know more on how to secure a job in big firm?

We can help you with that! We know what are the most challenging tasks and interview procedures you will have to face during different stage of interview with international companies.

Trust us as we have been helping job seekers to prepare for interview and assessment for years.

You are most welcome to contact us at careerconsulting.sg{at}gmail.com or +65 8226 8045. For more information, kindly visit our blog at http://bestopcareer.blogspot.sg.

Thank you and good luck!
bestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
MarcusConstantine

MarcusConstantine has a neutral reputation

Quote:
I heard about a friend of a friend who has a law degree from the University of Washington who is apparently earning $18K in his first year working in corporate law here. I'm not exactly sure about the details, but apparently his hours are quite reasonable, certainly better than that of local lawyers and his work involves writing contracts for Asian companies who wish to work with US corporations. Does anyone know anything more about a similar career path or is he an outlier?
Your friend is what is known as a "doc reviewer", basically a glorified proof-reader, drafter and/or clerk employed by a law firm for their mundane documentary tasks.

I suppose if work-life balance is what he is looking for, this is a great deal considering the pay per hour. However, career advancement prospects are virtually nil, and he has no hope of ever making partner where he is now. No lawyer hoping to make partner works "reasonable hours".
MarcusConstantine is offline   Reply With Quote