BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > USA
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
sirluke135

sirluke135 has a neutral reputation
Default Any chance for decent us college?

Hi,
I want to study undergrad in the us. I have done O levels and also have a diploma in optometry. Did not take SAT.
O level grades-
English b3
Bio A2
Chem b3
Physic b3
Chinese d7
Elementary math b4
Humanities c6

Culmalative gpa in poly is 3.1 out of 4. Did not do so well for first year but bucked up in year 2 and 3.

Here are some of the colleges i want to apply.But not sure as a freshmen or transfer
Would like to take a science major.
1) UIUC
2) Penn state
3) University of wisconsin
4) Michigan state uni
5) University of oregon
6) University of iowa
7) Ohio State university
8) Oklahoma state university
9) West virginia university
10) UT Austin

Not interested in any UC colleges. Any chance for college?
sirluke135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #2
patryn33

patryn33 has a neutral reputation

It is best for you to apply as freshman and take SAT

1) UIUC -- stretch
2) Penn state -- which campus? Uni park campus maybe reach at best
3) University of wisconsin -- stretch
4) Michigan state uni -- reach
5) University of oregon -- safety
6) University of iowa -- safety
7) Ohio State university --- reach
8) Oklahoma state university -- safety
9) West virginia university --- safety
10) UT Austin -- stretch

What do you want to study to say you want to study Science?

just curious why did you choose these safety Uni? can share your uni selection process? are you considering a few uni to apply?

why are these uni not selected?
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey--New Brunswick
- University of Minnesota--Twin Cities
- University of Massachusetts--Amherst
- Purdue University--West Lafayette

do you have any plans for grad school?

Last edited by patryn33; 07-09-2015 at 03:09 AM.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
sirluke135

Default Reply

Biology or biochemistry.
I went to a website that shows the diversity and housing rankings of the university. I want to go to a school that has decent dorms (hygiene freak) and people from different places.
I have a friend that went to rutgers but says the dorms are pretty run down and nothing much in nj.
The diversity at purdue isn't good(ranking)? Or are there Singaporeans that go there that have good experiences?
Did not read much about minnesota (44% acceptance low)and massachusetts, which I will add to the list to apply.

May go grad school to get doctor in optometry if grads are good.

What do you mean by safety schools? Very high chance of entering? I have checked West Virginia university website that says a gpa of 2.5 is the minimum for international freshmen with no sat requirements

Last edited by sirluke135; 07-09-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
patryn33

1. Dorms are generally dirty with young college kids. if U cannot handle below NS dirty standards undergrad dorms are generally that way. if U have to bunk with young american kids with didn't know how to clean it will be dirty. many co-ed dorms some open ppl have open door policy inviting anyone to the rooms it will be 'dirty'. sheets washing in shared washing machines may be viewed dirty to some.

I also enjoy cleanliness which is why I stay off campus. Dorm are costly and food is costly.

Diversity is overall diversity? or diversity of Sci major? To meet ppl from ppl from all over the place one have to be pro active seeking them out. high diversity and sits and waits from them to come to you will not work out. ppl who went to uni such as Texas Tech, Auburn, ASU, Purdue, Indiana, UCLA etc meet and made friends depending on themselves.
we can walk into korean student assoc meeting korean but they are such tight group it will be more hi and bye thing.

As for friend in Rugters and said nothing much in NJ, what is nothing? if U seek crazy singapore nite life and orchard dont go to small cities in USA. I met 2 people in Cornell one claims nothing but another loves it! so who is right? well no right or wrong it very much depends on the individual and what they view as something or nothing.

so what is something for U? Michigan State is in Flint.... if U think Rugters is nothing there maybe worst! LOL.. its a party Uni but if U don't mingle with Greek clubs and party hard getting drunk its super nothing.

Is diversity and housing ranking more important how well the Uni do in Biology?
acceptance rate means nothing to international students in many case. I wouldn't spend alot of effort on it.

Uni of Arizona is also pretty good in Bio Sci.

Safety School -- very hard chance of acceptance.

Uni such as WVU are consider very low teir 2 or high tier 3 uni. I wouldn't look at Uni such as WVU, UOregon.

The list of accredit US Uni are few (15 total) and they are 4 yr program its alot of money to attend 3yrs of Uni and 4yrs of Doc (est usd$400K total).
http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.s...fications.html

the easiest Uni to go to maybe pacific uni Oregon, avg OAT score 330 (400 max), GPA range 2.92-3.95 avg gpa 3.51. Ferris state almost just as easy. compared to phd in Bio Sci its so much easier imho then again it really depends on Uni.
http://www.pacificu.edu/future-gradu...tudent-profile
http://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/colleges...Admissions.htm
http://www.ada.org/~/media/OAT/Files...nee_guide.ashx

why not try UK or Australia if you goal is Optometry? QUT or Wales or Glasgow Caledonian University easier to enter and of course shorter route (4 vs 7 yrs and gbp 90K vs usd$400K ); not many choose a longer route which cost more money

Last edited by patryn33; 07-09-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
sirluke135

Default Reply

- I was thinking about the showers in the college when looking at campus housing ranking. In ns I clean my own shower so it was not mouldy and dirty.

It's the diversity of the whole campus. Aside from studying I want to make new friends. I love to mingle around with people. Most part I'll start the conversation.

Agree with you on the different opinions. Its very individualized imo.

Sorry but I don't get this part. If acceptance rate means nothing, why are the safety schools (high acceptance rate) have HARD chance of accepting me? So basically, are my chances of going any decent us college low or close to nil? Please pardon my ignorance.

The scope of optometry in singapore is not large. In the us and Canada they have the doctor in optometry program which is very different than the bac in optometry in the amount of things you do practice and huge differences in salary. And the opportunities are definitely much greater in the us. I may choose to change my mind to go other grad schools halfway through college.

Last edited by sirluke135; 07-10-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
patryn33

More diverse doesn't mean students are open to making friends outside their culture or race or nationality.

American culture is very friendly we go hi and good morning to strangers or can even kick off small conversation easily. Doesn't mean we become friends

I didn't see any job scope difference in Singapore but if u working in states different. Is the salary huge in sg?
https://drleesb.wordpress.com/2011/1...cian-confused/

Acceptance rate in general is for overall acceptance rate of u understand numbers local students are the majority messing up the international student numbers.

Way uni such as WVA they claim GPA of 2.5 that doesn't apply to poly dip
Even with Purdue or Indiana they mainly look at Os avg B3 ok.
Uni of Arizona or ASU iirc all C5 accepted. Lower for international students
But if u look at Austin popular major they looking for GPA 3.9 and high SAT scores, but if u transfer from CC the req is little lower

Last edited by patryn33; 07-10-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
sirluke135

I fancy the idea of communities talking openly.

The average median salary in sg is around SGD40k while for us is usd 120k.
That's a huge difference and I think would be worth that extra few years of studying. And in some states even minor surgeries can be done unlike Singapore which all they do is refer.

So I'll guess purdue and indiana, which in reality I stand a chance? , would be on top of my list . The 2 arizona uni seems decent too. Thanks for recommending. Can I also transfer from purdue or Indiana if I want to go to a better college?
And just wondering, would it have helped if i did better for my poly? Too late to do right...

Which uni did you go in the states?

Last edited by sirluke135; 07-10-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
patryn33

Well we comparing apple to oranges here.
I still thought u comparing sg with oz vs us degree in salary and job scope

Salary in states is naturally higher.

Salary avg in states, oz are easily found these are public data.
http://www.therichest.com/business/s...ry-and-income/

You have completed poly what can u do better? U want to repeat poly?

Does it matter to transfer from Purdue to a better u I when your end goal is do doc in optometry. Say u study at Indiana u you can apply to their optometry program, during undergrad days u can get connected to the advisors and prof
http://www.optometry.iu.edu/admissio...national.shtml

Last edited by patryn33; 07-11-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
sirluke135

No definitely I won't want to repeat. So basically poly dip is useless just O levels and sat?

I guess I'll apply to Indiana next sem after I take my SAT 1. SAT 1 is enough right? I will have the 2 Arizona schools too just in case I can't get in.
I may not continue to grad school (optometry) so I guess any of the safety uni you listed I'll apply just in case too if I can't get into Indiana as I don't want to delay longer due to ns already.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

Last edited by sirluke135; 07-11-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
Davelye

Davelye has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirluke135 View Post
No definitely I won't want to repeat. So basically poly dip is useless just O levels and sat?

I guess I'll apply to Indiana next sem after I take my SAT 1. SAT 1 is enough right? I will have the 2 Arizona schools too just in case I can't get in.
I may not continue to grad school (optometry) so I guess any of the safety uni you listed I'll apply just in case too if I can't get into Indiana as I don't want to delay longer due to ns already.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated
Hi.

Poly dip isn't useless. I will suggest that it will look very "iffy" on your application form if you were to omit your poly grades. They will question why there is a 3 year gap between your education when they process your script.

I assume you're either in your final year in NS/ took/taking a gap year for work experience. Some schools require SATs, some schools do not, you have to check on individual schools for their requirement.

I will highly encourage you to take the SATs and include your poly transcript into your application. If your transfer credits (upon processing) is less than 20 credits, they will immediately place you in as a freshmen. However, if you were to get more than 20 credits, you can be placed in the sophomore year. Since you're switching to a science major, i'm not sure how much credits you will transfer as optometry can be incredibly specialized in the modules you take. However, as US favors a holistic education, half of your credits required for graduation are non-core. So this might work in your favor. Less credits, less money spent.

Do check on the next available SAT date, someone told me it's at the end of the year. Spring semester begins in January, you probably stand a better chance applying for next fall.

Regarding the schools, patryn's advice is solid in that respect. Purdue is a really strong science/engineering school. If you were to prefer the EAST coast, you can take into considerations the few schools he mention (purdue, minnesota, iowa, rutgers (brunswick), west coast you can perhaps try for the arizona schools since you're not keen on UC schools; transfers into them are extremely competitive.

School diversity is extremely subjective. Even if statistics present the school to be diverse, you might not feel it as much on campus. Acceptance rate doesn't mean "nothing", it's just skewed differently when we talk about international students. Some say it is in your favor, some say it isn't - it's debatable. Whether there is much to do on in college is largely contributed to how active you want to be. You can take up multiple clubs and everyday can be really fun. You can explore the city, enjoy different sports and try different activities. It's very subjective. The same friend who told you that NJ has nothing can be the friend who tells you california is a boring place. You should not aim to transfer college after getting into one. It really disrupts your momentum and should only be done if you're facing a huge problem.

Lastly, as a transfer student as well, I will take these things into considerations upon searching for schools/applying to them/joining them:

In no particular order:

Summer class fees
No. of years to graduate
Major competitiveness
Any budget cuts in years to come.
No. of credits exempted.

All the best and I hope you last through the long application process. Never give up on it! Hopefully you apply to UofA. Bear down!

Last edited by Davelye; 07-14-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Davelye is offline   Reply With Quote