BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Career Issues > Career Issues > Law
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation
Default what is the usual career path for a typical law grad?

could anyone provide an insight into the typical career path for a fresh lawyer? i'm interested in the career progression and also the salary scale, and if possible, for different types of law firms. i would really appreciate any info - i'm still trying to decide.

for example?

typical starting pay?
typical pay by 30 years old or early thirties?
how easy it is and how long would it take to make partner?
how much does a junior partner earn?
is it true that govt scholars, like PSC, would earn less than lawyers after a while? but seeing how the top AOs earn $300k+ at 32 years old, it seems unlikely.

Last edited by LockT31W; 04-19-2008 at 09:53 PM.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
eugenechh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
could anyone provide an insight into the typical career path for a fresh lawyer? i'm interested in the career progression and also the salary scale, and if possible, for different types of law firms. i would really appreciate any info - i'm still trying to decide.

for example?

typical starting pay?
is it true that govt scholars, like PSC, would earn less than lawyers after a while? but seeing how the top AOs earn $300k+ at 32 years old, it seems unlikely.
If you are into Law just for the money then I suggest that you don't waste your time becuase you aren't going to last long in the profession. Do it for the passion; that is what makes a good lawyer.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Ashearo

Ashearo has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechh View Post
If you are into Law just for the money then I suggest that you don't waste your time becuase you aren't going to last long in the profession. Do it for the passion; that is what makes a good lawyer.
Lock just wants to find out more about the profession, and I think there is nothing wrong with that. Don't assume that he is interested in it just for the money because he is not. If you cannot answer his questions, please do not quote him.

What I say is my OWN opinion
Ashearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
LockT31W

LockT31W has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechh View Post

I agree with your statement per se, but disagree with your notion that passion and monetary concerns are mutually exclusive. As a law student yourself, you should know better to make false dichotomies like that one.

Quote:
Lock just wants to find out more about the profession, and I think there is nothing wrong with that. Don't assume that he is interested in it just for the money because he is not. If you cannot answer his questions, please do not quote him.
I agree with you, but I'm not gonna deny that money is part of the package - when hasn't it been for any type of job? Still, if Eugene would take a look at the other threads I've started in the Law forum, he would rest assured that I've been trying very hard to find out if I'm suitable for law.
LockT31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
bridgehead

bridgehead has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechh
woah whos our big shot lawyer here going around chastising everybody? so what if one's in it for the money? the drive to excel and better oneself financially is a passion in itself....besides there're other things like potential and ability that make for a gd lawyer...u're not exactly in a position to judge my dear lawyer (or perhaps law student) wannabe
bridgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
eugenechh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgehead View Post
woah whos our big shot lawyer here going around chastising everybody? so what if one's in it for the money? the drive to excel and better oneself financially is a passion in itself....besides there're other things like potential and ability that make for a gd lawyer...u're not exactly in a position to judge my dear lawyer (or perhaps law student) wannabe
The above is just my personal view. If you can't accept it then that is your problem. This is not a forum to start a flaming war just because your narrow-mindedness differs from others. Judging from what I can see, you (with specific reference to Bridgehead) are just being a slave to money so don't give me this bull about "passion" in itself. Maybe your naivety about the money and grandeur of being in the legal profession spurred you on to make such nonchalant and insolant remarks. It's okay. People do grow up and I hope you do so too; fast!

Last edited by eugenechh; 07-18-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
eugenechh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockT31W View Post
I agree with your statement per se, but disagree with your notion that passion and monetary concerns are mutually exclusive. As a law student yourself, you should know better to make false dichotomies like that one.

I agree with you, but I'm not gonna deny that money is part of the package - when hasn't it been for any type of job? Still, if Eugene would take a look at the other threads I've started in the Law forum, he would rest assured that I've been trying very hard to find out if I'm suitable for law.
Okay, I accept my mistake. Anyways, I hope you are really interested in law as a career and not just a perceived shortcut to earning money. Best of luck!

Last edited by eugenechh; 07-18-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
ihatelaw

ihatelaw has a neutral reputation

Good. Someone finally found out how to remove the stick from his arse.

Anyway I would like to answer some of the questions posed by Lock. The usual disclaimers apply.

typical starting pay?

Market rate is currently 4.5 k. Exceptionally, it can go up to 5k but that is only for a handful of firms. The best firms pay 4.5k. There is this offshore firm that pays 7.5k though but you must have a strong set of grades. (Top 20% or thereabouts)

It is hard to say how the new rules that apply to foreign law firms and the SMU Law grads will influence the starting pay. We will just have to wait and see.

I assume you are male. You start work as a qualified lawyer at 26. The average age for making partner is about 33-34. The best paying firm at partner level gives you 20k. I am unsure about the other firms.

Answered above. Usually about 7-8 years. The superstars can make partner in 5 years.

Answered above.

I suppose only equity partners can hit those levels.

Last edited by ihatelaw; 08-08-2008 at 02:03 PM.
ihatelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
not bright enough

not bright enough has a neutral reputation

I'm curious, how many lawyers actually make it to Partner level (or equivalent) in their careers?

On average is it the elite few like 10% cohort? Or top 30%? Or 80%?

I was thinking maybe 10% to 20% but that's just a guess.
not bright enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
isaac

isaac has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by not bright enough View Post
I'm curious, how many lawyers actually make it to Partner level (or equivalent) in their careers?

On average is it the elite few like 10% cohort? Or top 30%? Or 80%?

I was thinking maybe 10% to 20% but that's just a guess.
yeah, i'm thinking of that too. also, if i work as an in house lawyer, i know i will definitely earn less, but is it true in house lawyers are less stressed? ( i mean it relatively)
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote